• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fat/Expressive Bridge HB for Floyded Strat

fdesalvo

Silver Supporting Member
I've been stuck on BKs for such a long time, I've become wholly ignorant of other great options on the domestic market.

I'm looking for a fat and mid-rangey bridge humbucker for my upcoming Gotoh-floyded strat (chambered alder). Not looking for a metal pickup these days - something not too compressed and more along the lines of a PAF+ output level that can split to a bright and usable tone. Other attributes that are important include dynamics and responsiveness to the volume pot. Will be mainly used to pull lead duties.

Some pickups I've had in the past include:
  • Gibson: 498/500T, Burstbucker 1-3
  • SD: Custom, Custom Custom, JB
  • Dim: TZ, Gravity Storm, PAF Pro, EVO
  • Bare Knuckle: VHII, Abraxas, Crawler, Holy Diver, Miracle Man
  • EMG: 81
  • Rio Grande: BBQ

Any ideas?

TIA

Last edited:

fdesalvo

Silver Supporting Member
Ha - I did say that this is what I've had in the past. Touche, my friend. Touche.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I would go with the Suhr Doug Aldrich (and did in my strat). It splits so well for single coil tones. You have to have 500k pots and probably a slight treble bleed with these pickups.

Don't let the artist association scare you. These pickups are fat in the mids in a good way and with the above described electronics, get a very vintage tone with the volume rolled back to 7 or 8.

The single coil tones are fantastic with these.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Fat with a Floyd? DiMarzio Breed would be my pick. It's a fantastic pickup that was specifically designed to be....um.....fat with a Floyd. :wave

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I've had 36th, AT1, and Breed all in the bridge position of the same Floyd guitar.

36th: nice PAF tone, but not hot enough for me.
AT1: Great pickup...36th tone, but hotter.
Breed: I like big butts, and I cannot lie. It is the fat. About the same output as the AT1, with more back.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
First one that came to mind was the Suhr Aldrich, but that might be too hot. I haven't used it but on paper it's got a high DC resistance.

Dimarzio AT-1 also came to mind as that was made for 25.5" tremolo guitars, but again that might be a touch hot and I think with the air tech might not have tons of low end if that's what you're after.

What didn't you like about the Custom Custom?

fdesalvo

Silver Supporting Member
First one that came to mind was the Suhr Aldrich, but that might be too hot. I haven't used it but on paper it's got a high DC resistance.

Dimarzio AT-1 also came to mind as that was made for 25.5" tremolo guitars, but again that might be a touch hot and I think with the air tech might not have tons of low end if that's what you're after.

What didn't you like about the Custom Custom?
Thanks for the reply. You know, I don't remember much about some of those pickups that I had in the past - so much time and gear has gone by. I don't remember disliking the custom custom honestly - may have to do some reading on it again in fact.

I think what's got me in a continual landing pattern is that I'm almost nervous to move out of the BK camp since I love the organic tones I've been able to get with their gear. Despite that - I really enjoyed a Dimarzio Gravity Storm in the bridge of my former 95 540SLTD. Not thin at all despite the edge trem and thin neck/body and I recall it splitting quite well and being very un-Dimarzio in the way of its organic tone and dynamic range. That may be more a function of it being wound less hot lol.

Edit: Have I just re-sold myself onto the Gravity Storms? I think I did lol.

Mikhael

I'd take a look at the DiMarzio Satriani pickups - Fred and Mo'Jo. A little hotter than vintage but not hi-ouput, good overtone series, designed with a Floyd in mind,... pretty much everything you said.

Madguitrst

DiMarzio Tone Zone....my favorite bridge PU for Floyd equipped guitars.
Parallel sounds excellent also.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom