Fat neck on Epi LP ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mschafft, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mschafft

mschafft Member

OK, I'm returning an EPi with the 1960 slim D profile. My big paws don't get on well with this neck. Can you recommend other Epiphone Les Pauls with notably more substantial necks please? Thanks

2. wwit

wwit Member

Current run Epiphone LP's with what's called either a Late 50's or '59 necks are on the Joe Bonamassa LP and the '56 Pro or '56 Gold Tops. I'm fairly certain that these are the only thicker neck profiles available on current Epi LP's.

The JBLP came originally in a Gold Top finish, but now only available new in Pelham Blue. It has a full maple cap. This has US Gibson BurstBucker pickups and higher grade pots and Mallory caps.

The '56 is still available in a few colors. But some getting hard to find. Seems most online retailers still offer Chicago Blue. This guitar is loaded with the new Epi Pro P-90's which are very authentic to the US P-90 in tone. They use standard 1" pots and generic caps. This model has a veneer top.

I have one of the 2nd run Bonamassa GT's and a current run '56 Pro. Thought they give different monikers to the necks on these, they are identical in shape. Though if you look at the profile's of the LP necks from Gibson there was a difference between the profiles back then between a '56 and '59 neck, as well as every year in between as I recall.

3. mschafft

mschafft Member

That's very thorough. Thanks a lot!
    So the current line doesn't give much choice if want a humbucker equipped Epiphone Les Paul...

4. wwit

wwit Member

YW.

I have only seen photo's of the new 2015 models available soon, but have not seen all the specs. But as far as it is now, Epi LP with a late 50's neck and humbuckers is limited to the Joe Bonamassa model.

So yeah, its very limited. Between the '56 and JBLP if neck shape is the most important spec, a potential owner has to be very open minded and willing to accept the narrow/single color options. But both are amazing guitars IMHO.

5. scorched

scorched Member

I have the same problem. I only like big necks. I've wasted too much money on guitars with skinny necks and trying to make them work. They just won't.

I have a Slash model Epi LP that is great. Neck somewhere between a '58 and a '59 profile. Pretty beefy. Long neck tenon. Came with SD Alnico II Pro PU's. I've since replaced the pups with a DiMarzio 36th Annv. neck and an SD '59/Custom hybrid in the bridge. The guitar is now a monster rock machine. Got it for $500 used.

The new 'Rossa Corsa' looks pretty good (Epi Slash model).

6. IRG

IRG Member

Not to spam you, but I have a nearly new '56 Pro I bought new a couple of months ago, in Chicago Blue. Very nice guitar, but the neck is a bit too thick to my liking. Plus I have one really good Epi LP, I decided I don't need two other ones. The other being the Tribute.

If you like P-90's, this is really a fine guitar. The P-90's are fairly noise free too, surprisingly.

7. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

It's odd, when I check out the specs on the 56 Pro, it's listed as 'slim taper'. Wonder why they don't list it as a 50's style neck?

8. Ulug

Ulug Member

Some older Korean made Epis have nice, chunky necks. I like big necks as well, and I think the current production Wildkat Royale neck is pretty comfortable too. It's not a Les Paul though obviously, if that's what you are after.

9. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

I might actually consider buying an Epi Les Paul if they came with 50's neck profiles! Wish they still made the 1959 Les Paul Standards that they had as a limited run a few years ago.

10. sliberty

sliberty Member

I was messing around in GC one day, and stumbled onto a Les Paul Std PlusTop Pro with a much bigger neck than the others hanging right next to it. Ended up buying it. Wonderful neck, and a real keeper.

Sometimes you get lucky. Put your hand around every Epi neck in the store....

11. mschafft

mschafft Member

Thanks for the offer but I live next to railway cables which create a n unbelievable amount of noise through all single coil pickups.

12. mschafft

mschafft Member

The standard which I ordered came with a super slim neck and a defective truss rod. I'm returning it free of charge. Are you saying that a replacement of the same model has a chance to come with a chunkier neck? It may be worth a shot, right?
    Cheers

13. sliberty

sliberty Member

I am. but I am also saying that it is hit or miss. Being in a store, and trying them ALL is the only way to go. No mail order when it comes to neck sizes.

14. IRG

IRG Member

Gotcha. I will say though, these P-90s in mine, are easily as quiet as my Burstbuckers, or the '57's. In any position too. Even with fuzz, I don't find them any noisier. And sometimes I get some electrical interference too, can't quite figure out what causes it, because it's intermittent. But I can understand your hesitance. Good shielding helps. I think these new Epi P-90's use Gibson parts and all too.

Another option for you, could be to get something with P-90s and then get some good aftermarket "quiet" p-90s. Here's a link to a local winder not far from me, haven't tried these, but his humbuckers get great reviews. I've been looking for a project to get some actually, lol. http://www.manliusguitar.com/products/quiet-goat-hum-cancelling-p90

15. IRG

IRG Member

They are definitely not slim taper, lol. I think oftentimes Epi is not even sure how to market what they have. Most of the owners of the newer '56 RI have also found these models to have chunkier necks. Some of the older Korean versions did have thinner necks, not thin mind you, but thinner than what they are now.

I can't confirm this, but a couple of owners have mentioned the Bonamassa models have the same neck thickness as the '56 RI now.

16. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

+1 on the Epi Bonamassa. I had one, neck was huge. Big in measurement, bigger in reality with the prominent D shape shoulders. You want a big neck Epi that comes with good pickups stock, there you go.

17. mschafft

mschafft Member

Yes but Thomann doesn't stock them anymore. Plus I've just stumbled an very good deal on a Gibby Studio. More info here :

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1541719

Thanks everyone!
    Have a groovy day