Fat necks, an observation

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, May 30, 2020.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I wonder if others have thought the same, but i just noticed something after buying fat neck guitar the other day. I always disliked them, and to me what i call too fat is what many think of as thin. So for me the epi i just got is insanely fat. In fact i picked up the gibson version of it which is a 50s LP special and it's fatter then the gibson. This easily the fattest neck i ever owned and the only reason i bought it was otherwise the guitar was a incredible deal on exactly what i had been looking for aside from the crazy fat neck. I really didn't think i would be able to get used to it but to my surprise within a day i was loving it. In the past the fat neck guitars i have owned never lasted long before i sold them out of frustration, and none were near this fat.

Thats what prompted me to post this.....the possible reason why i was able to love what i always hated before. So whats the difference? I *think* it's gotta be this....it's a gibson (well, epi but basically a gibson) and being a major fender guy the fat necks i have had previously were all fenders. I have owned few gibsons or gibson clones etc, but of the ones i have owned they were all slim taper. Has anyone consider the idea that fat necks are much more usable on the gibson 24.75 scale and other gibson design aspects ? Thats the only thing i can imagine because i cannot stand fenders with fat necks. I might last a few weeks before i give up at most. This thing has the fattest neck i have owned and i was in love with the neck a day after getting it. Anyone else thought the same?

Kilometers Davis likes this.
  2. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Before I got to the part about a shorter scale I thought “it’s probably because it’s a shorter scale”. Of course things like setup, radius and fret size more than likely contribute but still.

happy NGD btw :beer did you score one of the tv yellow P90 jobs?

3. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Not for me. I always loved fat necks on all scale lengths until I screwed up my fretting hand. Now it's slim taper for me only. :( Had to learn to get used to them. But it's fine now. Fat necks KILL me after just a few songs.

4. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I've started playing acoustic 95% of the time. Most, if not all, of the differences between my electric necks have gone away. Even my fat necked Telecaster is puny in comparison. And this is with a Taylor, a brand considered to "play like an electric" by acoustic snobs. I can only imagine what my electrics would feel like in comparison to a "real" acoustic. LOL

5. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

Neck size and scale lenght have no correlation whatsoever, for me at least. But I don't see how it possibly would.

6. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

No, my Baja Tele is the only fat neck I own and also the only 1.650" nut guitar I own (also have 2 strats and 1 Les Paul, all three at 1 11/16"). The fat neck feels really good with the 1.650" but when I try 1 11/16" nut guitars with a fat neck I don't like it as much. My Les Paul feels really good at .84" at the first fret.

7. dazco

dazco Member

Thanks, yeah, the ep version.

Kilometers Davis likes this.
  8. dazco

dazco Member

I screwed mine up too back in the ate 90s and never been the same since. Thats not why i like tin necks because i always have, but it did really destroy my playing ability to this day. I'm just stunned at how i have come to not just be fine with this neck but love it. Strange. Thats why i can't see any other reason but the fender vs gibson thing.

cutaway likes this.