Fat Strat with Dr. Z Maz Jr.

benttop

I did this with a Guitar Center Blues Contest backing track.

Setup: Grosh Bent Top Custom (neck pup) > Maz Jr. > Alnico Tone Tubby

Volume: Dimed
Treble: 10 o'clock
Middle: Noon
Bass: Dimed
Master: 9 o'clock
Cut: 9 o'clock

http://www.gear.strayca.com/audio/MazJr/FatMazJr.mp3

Recording info:

First Rode NT-1 about three inches in front and to the side of the Tone Tubb.

Second Rode NT-1 about six feet in front of the amp and 90 degrees off axis.

Mics are panned hard left and right. Reverb and delays added in Pro Tools.

M I K E D.

Silver Supporting Member
Wow!!

Sweet Sweet sound from that Strat- nice crunch with a smoov top end- I think that is the best sound I've heard from a Maz Jr...

farlowhigh

great tones and playing! I can't wait to try that setting on my Maz Jr...

Thanks for posting that clip and do more when you have time so people can see how versatile that amp is!

captainT

Great sound!!!! Were you in the contest and did you win or did you just have access to the backing track to play along with? How many watts is that Maz?

ES333

Gold Supporting Member
I am surprised that you can run the treble that low with the bass cranked. I heard that tone tubbies are dark speakers, but this seems to contradict that. I absolutely LOVE this tone. SOOO close to what I am looking for. Of course, I may need your fingers too, to make it all work. :BEER

benttop

Great sound!!!! Were you in the contest and did you win or did you just have access to the backing track to play along with? How many watts is that Maz?

I had to sign up for the contest to get the CD. :) I didn't participate - just wanted the CD to jam with. The Maz is 18 watts.

benttop

I am surprised that you can run the treble that low with the bass cranked. I heard that tone tubbies are dark speakers, but this seems to contradict that. I absolutely LOVE this tone. SOOO close to what I am looking for. Of course, I may need your fingers too, to make it all work. :BEER

The Maz can be pretty bright, and running a combo cab lessens the bass somewhat, so the solution is to turn up the amp and turn down the treble, and viola! The Tone Tubby isn't a dark speaker from my experience with it here. It does have more bottom than my Alnico Golds, and the Tone Tubby is a bit flatter through the midrange. It does have a nice crisp top end though.

journo

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting that. Great sound!!!!

Soon as I'm done writing this post I will fire up my gear and see if I can get a similar sound and cop a few licks.

Cheers,

Mats N

Trending Topics

Top Bottom