Fat tele bridge tone suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gitarboy, Jan 9, 2020.

1. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Looking for tele bridge suggestions.. still want a little top but want a fatter tone overall.. broadcaster.. ? Or a little more juice..?
    I'd like kind of a Tele/LP tone with the tone rolled a little.. I'm a Blues guy.. Blackface amps with overdrive..

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Dimarzio Area Hot T.

jamester likes this.
  3. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Fender Texas specials might be good for what you are looking for.

4. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Dimarzio Area Hot T or Chopper, depending on what type of mids you want.

JayFi and turntable_blues like this.
  5. stratadp

stratadp Member

I put a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Tele pickups in mine. Fat enough to last the winter.

6. bluescube

bluescube Member

Rio Grande "Muy Grande"

https://www.riograndepickups.com/muy-grande-for-tele-bridge

[​IMG]

A powerful replacement for the Tele® bridge, the Muy Grande gives you that classic tone you've come to expect, but a lot more of it! Can really push your amp when needed and when backed off cleans up quite nicely. No skinny , brittle, tones here...just big, round, full Tele tones. Extra gain without the pain!!!.....A5.....8.8K

7. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

^^^
    THIS

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Soon you'll have every tele bridge pickup ever made listed in this thread, but yeah broadcaster style is what you want. :)

GA20T, shane8, LordByron and 3 others like this.
  9. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

The warmer/hotter Tele bridge pickups get, the less "Tele" they sound. It's a tradeoff. I'm currently rocking a Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan that hits a sweet spot for me, but like I said, it's a tradeoff. Impedance is actually a pretty good measure, at least for true single coils. Anything from 8-10k is "Broadcaster" range. Above that to me is "hot" range and I rapidly lose interest - I like 9-9.5k. Below that is traditional Tele and gets too twangy and bright for me.

Also, consider replacing or updating your wiring harness to match your pickups. In general, it's a good idea to back off the tone and volume controls on a Tele, a little or a lot. A well-voiced Tele tone control should have a sort of "wah" sound, imho, and sound good swept from bottom to top. If it rolls off too much, the tone control will be muddy and hard to use. Too little, and the guitar will be too bright. And changing pickups might change ideal cap values, whether you want a treble bypass, etc.

Another thing that can work really well for a more PAF kinda sound is a four-way switch! This puts bridge and neck pickups in series rather than parallel, and sounds very different from the usual parallel arrangement. It's meatier and thicker-sounding.

squeally dan and Plainman like this.
  10. 71strat

71strat Member

Don Mare 0038.

11. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

Tone knob.

shane8, misterg71, Bryan T and 5 others like this.
  12. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Lollar J Street

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Now including Fralin Blues!

14. 108

108 Member

Cavalier Fat Lion. Or just email/call Rob and he will get you exactly what you need. But you’ll never get a Tele to sound like a Tele AND an LP. I don’t care how many people say ‘use the tone knob’.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Pick a set of single coils that are RWRP towards one another; with a discrete, separate lead on the neck pickup, and wire things via a 4 way switch so you have N, N + B parallel, B, N + B series.

Measure your pickups in Henries (Inductance). Never mind what the resistance (Ohms) might happen to be. The only real value Ohms has, is in discovering busted or improperly wound pickups, or to help identify them (if you know Pickup Model X is 10.5 Ohms and the mystery pickup measures 10.5, etc.)

soulman969 likes this.
  16. RGB1969

RGB1969 Member

I have these (50's Experience by ARCANE) in my Broadcaster:

This pickup is a period correct replica of a 1950 bridge pickup, with a tone that is fat and hot with no ear-piercing highs more output and grind than the 51. Wound by hand using only the finest components, built with select grade and tuned Alnico magnets that are non staggered, period correct gauge and type wire, a black thread wrapped coil, vintage style cloth push back wire and a Zink plated steel base plate stamped with our own stamping die to exact specifications. Every pickup is painstakingly assembled with the utmost care producing a pickup that is the ultimate in quality. Each pickup is engraved and individually Serial Numbered making it a unique creation.

Pickups are sold individually or as a matched set of two with a neck pickup. Custom options available.

Bridge: DC Resistance 9.31k
    Neck: DC Resistance 8.42k

17. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

I really like the Broadcaster pickup by fender or SD. The Twisted Tele bridge pickup is another great option. It has more fatness than the broadcasters while still retaining a little twang. I think its a good place to start if you play humbuckers most of the time. Even if you don't, it is still a nice pickup.

LordByron likes this.
  18. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Lollar Tele Special is the single most amazing pickup I've played. A bit P90, very dynamic, very versatile depending on how and where you pick.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Take the pickup you currently have and lower the treble side, raise the bass side, of the pickup. Lower the pickup overall (both sides equally) then until you like the new thicker tone. Free mod.

Install a 4-way switch so you get both pickups in series. It's a stealth Les Paul Humbucker, but given most Teles use 250k volume pots, it will be darker, brooding, growly. Adjust neck pickup height to balance with the bridge you already set above. $11 mod.

1936chebbie likes this.
  20. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

This. They take their Special pup (which is fat) and turn it up a notch.