1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Fat" Tele pickup combos

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AshlandBump, Dec 21, 2005.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I've been thinking about building a Tele for a while and am gravitating towards a splitable humbucker for the neck and traditional tele bridge pickup. Any suggestions for good combinations of the two? The guitar will most likely have a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and one piece swamp ash body. Tele would be used for playing Keef-esque riffs, blues, and more modern stuff (Jam (not really modern), Radiohead, etc.).

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

The "Fat Tele" format, to me, is the most versatile around...

I'm getting one made with a Lindy Fralin Unbucker in the neck and a Fralin Tele Blues Special in the bridge. I should have it in a couple weeks. I've used and loved both pickups before but never used them together, so I'll let you know how it comes out.

3. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

In the Häussel catalog (www.ugroove.biz/haeussel.html) there are the BigMag pups- singlecoils that have the P90 polepieces.
    We're talking big, fat, powerful output here (for example, the strat bridge measures 12.75KOhm...).
    A yummy combo could be a Häussel BigMag in bridge position, with a VIN (Alnico II) hb in the neck.
    Add a superswitch and you're set for some serious Tone...

Best,

JJ

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

I recently completed one using 4-way switching and a Fralin P-92 at the neck and a Blues Special in the bridge. The bridge was a PigTail Vintage with compensating saddles. I highly recommend this combination. The P-92 is like a noiseless P-90 and blends very, very well with the BS. Generally, humbuckers don't split very well, thats why I chose the P-92 and I'm very glad that I did! It's my best sounding Tele and I have trouble putting it down.
    :AOK

5. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

Thanks for the responses. The Fralin Unbucker/Blues Special is something I've considered -- I'll be interested to hear how that works out.

Never heard of Haussel, looks interesting but they could stand to add a few more pictures of their pickups, just to see what they're talking about.

6. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

I just started hearing about Pigtail -- I assume they make Tele parts, anyone have a link?

P-92 - something else to consider - thanks.

7. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

I've wired up four Teles that way (not all mine) and have had good results or feedback with the SD Jazz or DiM PAF Classic at the neck, mated to either the Antiquity 50s or the SD Broadcaster at the bridge. Not the latest boutique stuff, but proven out in gig situations. (That said, an old Gibbo mini is a good choice, too, and my favorite was a vintage Gretsch Hi-Lo which happened to be rw/rp to the bridge pu. I'd really like to try one of those TV Jones F'Trons with a 4-conductor lead at some point.)

Three wiring tips with the full-sized, 4-lead hb: 1st, try wiring your middle position (or one of them, anyway) for the bridge and just its rw/rp coil from the neck, it's a very usable second hum-cancelling sound, great for rhythm work and open G. 2nd, unless you really need a rounded jazz or Clapton-woman tone for the gig, don't bother wiring the hb to the 250k tone pot (which is the value I'd want with the bridge pu on its own), it'll only load down highs from the neck you'll want to hear, esp. with both pu's selected. (Another way around the problem is to wire a fixed treble-bleed resistor to the neck pu via a mini switch.) 3rd, go with the 500k volume pot, it makes a substantial difference to high-mid balance from the hb and won't adversely effect the results from the bridge. HTH.

8. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

There are so many great options to consider....from all out big bucks to less than a used pedal. Fralin, Lollar, Rolph, Wolfe, WCR to Dimazrio, Duncan to GFS.

Here are few combos that have worked well for me. Currently, I have a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot T in the bridge and a Manlius Humbucker in the neck. The pickups are an excellent match and the gutiar sounds killer with this combo for blues. Others that have worked well are a Duncan Seth Lover neck and Van Zandt bridge, Dimarzio VV PAF or Classic PAF in the neck and an ElectroKraft in the bridge.

In the budget realm, the GFS 62 bridge pups is great and the Kent Armstrong V-5 12 pole bucker is a real surprise for the coin.

Set your budget then start checking the emporium! Good luck...this has long been my favorite combo for teles.

9. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I am working on a DIY . . . I'm going to put a middle HB, hopefully with a 7-position switch and a push/pull knob for splitting coils . . . I have a vintage Bill Lawrence 500 Double bladed HB . . .

What I am wondering is, with three Pups (the middle being the HB) will I need to get three knobs, like strat wiring?

I want to minimize extra routing

I want to have it wired so that the switch is *Bridge - Bridge/neck - Neck - Neck/middle - Bridge/middle - Middle (W/ pull coil-tap)*