Fatboost as a clean boost/eq shaper?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bwires, Feb 26, 2012.

1. bwires

bwires Member

Will the FB-3 work well as a "last in chain" eq shaper? Really don't want any grit added, have that taken care of. Just want to do some tone shaping with a slight volume bump.

2. bwires

bwires Member

49 looks and no opinions?

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Lol, people seem to like it. I was looking for a mid-boost pedal and ended up going the EQ route so I could actually shape the tone myself. I had a Boss PQ4 that I really liked, but I am using a Fromel Shape now and it is great - less boost, its considered unity volume, but if you have the knobs further up than down, you get some boost, plenty for my needs.

4. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

yes

5. johann

johann Member

very nice pedal, I used it a long time but now I only use a clean boost.

highly recommended

6. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

It's off my board at the moment, but I use it that way. It's really only an EQ in the sense that it will add/remove bass from the signal (basically), although it can give you some pretty "glassy" tones by cranking the Treble knob. I like using it when I've got my strat, and setting the EQ trim knobs depending on whether I'll be soloing with bridge or neck pickup (distinct settings on Fulltone's instruction sheet for each pickup sound).

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Yes, as a tighten-up filter and EQ-shaper. That's how I use mine.

8. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I use it last in line as a clean boost. The bass and treble knobs do allow for a lot of control in terms of tone shaping. Run it at 18 volts, like I do, and it can be a clean boost which is very clean indeed. It sounds good a 9 volts too, but there is more dirt. I think it's a terrific, under-rated pedal. Relatively cheap too. I paid about $100 for mine off eBay. Money very well spent.

9. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

a eq pedal would be a ton cheaper but whatever floats your boat. A fat boost will do what the name says give you a fatter sound. If you want a true tone shaper a eq at end of chain would be best.