• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fate of Thin Skin line with introduction of new AV series?

zastruga

Anyone heard whether or not Fender will continue with the Thin Skin line now that the AVRI line has been revamped and price hiked? I'd love to get my hands on a Thin Skin Jazzmaster, but it seems Wildwood/Dave's/etc are sold out of them and they don't ever seem to come up used when I can afford it.

If so, any details on whether they'll be the same as before or based on the AV line (and thus $2200+ and out of my budget)?

backeast

Fender will only do them in batches of one color per 100 ordered anymore. No dealer is willing to buy 100 of the same color.
Fender won't budge on this, even for places like Wildwood and Dave's.

zastruga

Fender will only do them in batches of one color per 100 ordered anymore. No dealer is willing to buy 100 of the same color.
Fender won't budge on this, even for places like Wildwood and Dave's.
:bitchBoo!

That sucks. My Thin Skin Tele is by far the best Fender (Non-CS) I've ever played.

BedroomRockStar01

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone heard whether or not Fender will continue with the Thin Skin line now that the AVRI line has been revamped and price hiked? I'd love to get my hands on a Thin Skin Jazzmaster, but it seems Wildwood/Dave's/etc are sold out of them and they don't ever seem to come up used when I can afford it.

If so, any details on whether they'll be the same as before or based on the AV line (and thus $2200+ and out of my budget)?
I'm not sure what your budget is, but for the price of a new Thin Skin model ($1600~), you could save a few hundred more and have Danocaster/Klein/Ron Kirn build you a custom one any way you wanted it at a much higher quality. Obviously, if $2200+ is out of reach for you, this might not help much, but I would look beyond Fender's walls for a Jazzmaster. The reissue pickups are not true jazzmaster pickups (they're strat pups in a jazzmaster shell), and of the ones I've played (Japanese, AVRI, Squier) none of them sounded like an actual Jazzmaster. On top of that, a Danocaster JM is going to retain its value 100%, and they sell quickly if you have a change of heart or get strapped for cash. You're going to be eating a decent loss on any Fender.

You might try the Offset Guitar Forum as well. There are plenty of jazzmaster nuts over there who could give you some good advice on how to track down what you're looking for.

backeast

Interesting, one of the major deterrents of buying a Fender knockoff, for lack of a better word, is they do not hold their value. I guess like all things its worth what people will buy it for.

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting, one of the major deterrents of buying a Fender knockoff, for lack of a better word, is they do not hold their value. I guess like all things its worth what people will buy it for.
I would say that Dano has earned his reputation of making a high quality F-style guitar, such that his guitars retain value much more than something assembled of various parts.

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Thin Skin '62 Custom a couple of years back, and I have an MJT Tele Custom on the way, so I may be able to provide some input as far as that goes.

I also played a Dano last week at a local shop that was silly cool - light, resonant, and full of mojo. Only a couple of hundred more than a new Thin Skin, and (I'd argue) a better playing guitar.

TowMater

I'm not sure what your budget is, but for the price of a new Thin Skin model ($1600~), you could save a few hundred more and have Danocaster/Klein/Ron Kirn build you a custom one any way you wanted it at a much higher quality. Obviously, if $2200+ is out of reach for you, this might not help much, but I would look beyond Fender's walls for a Jazzmaster. The reissue pickups are not true jazzmaster pickups (they're strat pups in a jazzmaster shell), and of the ones I've played (Japanese, AVRI, Squier) none of them sounded like an actual Jazzmaster. On top of that, a Danocaster JM is going to retain its value 100%, and they sell quickly if you have a change of heart or get strapped for cash. You're going to be eating a decent loss on any Fender.

You might try the Offset Guitar Forum as well. There are plenty of jazzmaster nuts over there who could give you some good advice on how to track down what you're looking for.
Yeah, but it wouldn't be a Fender. That matters to a lot of us.

Mike Eldred

Roger - Hired in 1960 by Leo. having a break next to the mini punch press that stamped the serial numbers into the 54 Strat trem cover plates. Still working.

Drilling 1018 CRS trem blocks on the original drill presses...by hand.

Strat jack plates stamped on the same tool...original box too.

Hand grinding trem blocks.

Original pin router in the FCS for rough shaping necks.

:munch

ME

HP Hovercraft

While I love the look of the Thin Skins, I hate that they don't have vintage radius/frets. I just with Fender would put matching headstocks on the custom color AV offsets. Then, everyone is happy.

Aside from the price.

The reissue pickups are not true jazzmaster pickups (they're strat pups in a jazzmaster shell)
False. You're thinking of the MIJ/CIJ Jazzmasters.

That's not true at all. I don't know where you get your information, but AVRI pickups are Jazzmaster pickups. The MIJ/CIJ Jazzmasters have Strat pickups in a Jazzmaster housing. I don't know or care about the MIM stuff.

And there are plenty of guys on the SurfGuitar101 forum who say the stock AVRI pickups do indeed sound like Jazzmaster pickups. I'm one of them.

Last edited:
I contacted Wildwood not too long ago, but before news about the new '65 AV series was out, and asked them if they would be getting any more thin skin Jazzmasters and Jaguars. They simply said they wouldn't. They didn't mention the new series.

So in regards to offset thin skins, what's out there is what's out there.

analogic

I had actually emailed Dave from Dave's Guitar earlier this summer about the Thin Skin series, unfortunately he had this to say:

"Thanks for your e-mail. At this time Fender does not plan on running any more Thin Skin Jazzmasters. If we can ever talk them into it again, we will announce it on our web site. In the mean time keep an eye on the web site as we do see a used one come in from time to time."

A bit of a bummer. Funny, I did manage to find a used Thin Skin Jazzmaster in my area...in Shell Pink. Not my cup of tea.

Trending Topics