Fattest Fender neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by supar6, Feb 3, 2008.

1. supar6

supar6 Member

Anyone know what the fattest fender neck is? I've played a '59 thin skin AVRI and it was pretty fat but I just know there's something FATTER out there! :)

I know Warmoth makes some super fat ones but I'd like to buy the whole enchilada!

Thanks for everyones help!

2. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

3. Trout

Trout Member

My 87 American Strat Plus has the fattest neck I have ever seen on a Strat. I have huge hands and it still feels big. It is also very thick making the radius seem tight.

Trout

4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

62 Hot Rods are R7 big. The biggest Fender production neck on any guitar is the GE Smith Tele.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

SRV Signature Strat has the fattest neck I've tried.

6. bynt

bynt Member

I knew about he Hot Rods. I didn't know that abou the GE Smith though. Hmmmm.

Oh yeah, Marc Fords 54(?) Custom Shop neck was HUGE. I got to play it while trying to help him with some gear problems and I couldn't believe it. Heaven as far as necks for me.

7. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I believe that their fattest neck in used on the Nocaster.........love mine.

8. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

Didn't the earlier Jeff Beck strat have a really large neck?

9. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Nocaster without a doubt.
    I played a early 90's SVR Strat for some time and it's neck was rather plump.
    Didn't compare to the baseball bat Nocaster though.

10. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

I have a warmoth Boatneck on a strat and a warmoth 59 contour on a tele. They are both bigger than any fender neck that I have played. I currently have an EJ Strat, it is a chunky neck for a Fender.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Without a doubt, my special run Fender CS thin skin tele. Makes Nocaster necks feel like mediums. It's huge to the point of being obnoxious, especially to those who try it for their first time. But I've come to love and accept the big fat lug for what it is.

12. Griz

Griz Member

I played an '83 (?) Squier Strat with by far the fattest Fender neck I can recall. The early Squiers were supposedly U.S. parts assembled in Japan; '70s leftover necks and bodies, perhaps.

The neck on that Squier was much bigger than my Custom Shop with a soft V.

:dude

13. Sean French

Rally?
    I've got a thin shin from '06 with the 7.25 radius that's quite fat and have owned a few others as well.
    To me all the Nocaster's I've played had far bigger necks.
    The thin skins are only available through three dealers so,I'm curious as to what year you have and from what dealer it came from?
    Perhaps yours is an exception?

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

No, this is not part of that thin skin run at all. This is a Custom Shop piece from a small run done in '06 that I bought from Make'n Music. I owned a CS Nocaster at the same time (since sold), and while it had the typically huge Nocaster neck, this one is noticeably bigger. I still see a few from this run for sale from time to time, and the adds always note the obscenely fat neck. The way to spot them is that they all were CS pieces, had fat flamey matte finished necks, a 9 1/2" radius with m/j frets, had a twisted tele neck pup and '60s bridge, and came with (surprisingly) 6-saddle bridges. I could try to display it in a pic, but not sure it will portray it properly.

15. Sean French

I see.
    Oops,I missed the CS in your description.:crazy
    Wow,bigger than a Nocaster is obscene.lol

16. bynt

bynt Member

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but which do you like better, the Boatneck or the 59? I really like my Boatneck (Strat)but am thinking the Fat or the Contour for my Tele project. Just sucks not being able to try it out first. Thoughts?

17. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

On the Custom '56 Strat is a boatneck, felt the same as my R6 and that is a huge neck.

18. Slideman

Slideman Member

I thought the Jimmie Vaughn Strat with the hard V, with medium jumbo frets and 9.5" radius was the fattest nect on a Fender. Could be wrong though.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Nocaster by far. No contest with any other Fender, unless it's a special order.

A 62 hot rod strat is chunky but not huge. I think it's around .880" at the first fret. At least the one I had was. The Nocaster is close to, if not a full 1"!

20. supar6

supar6 Member

WOW - that Custom Shop '56 is a real boat neck!!! I've never played a Jimmie Vaughan before but for the money if she's a fatty I'll have to try her out.

Anyone ever played on a one of those '59 Thin Skin strat reissues? I can score one for a decent price but have to drive a few to try it out.