Faustine Phantom DX2

Earplayer

Hi there!

I just want to write down a few impressions with the DX2... and maybe i can help some folks with the decision getting a new attenuator.

I really had them all - and hated a few of them - to narrow the list down to the useful units:

Aracom PRX-150 DAG:
Very good attenuator. Built like a tank but is really almost heavy and big like a tank... i honestly hated that with the Aracom. With the independent impedance switch it´s a cool tool... but i didn´t care for it too much... first i blew a few fuses with the Aracom because you can´t select the different settings (like from A to C) when the amp is on full. The builder is very helpful and i had a few phone-calls with him. Very cool service indeed. The tone is pretty transparent and the feel is very good. But the Aracom adds something (and i am not talking about any sinus-wave forms...) the tone is a bit stiffer/harder compared to other units... really hard to describe.

Alex´s Attenuator:
Plain and simple the best bang for the buck.
It´s not versatile and it is not that transparent like the Phantom. It is like the poor mans Faustine Phantom...

Faustine Phantom DX2:
I´ve played a Phantom DX in the past and thought it was pretty good - but the Alex was just as good. Well after comparing all of these Attenuators i have to say - the Phantom DX2 is THE BEST attenuator i have ever played. I really really love that unit with my nvm amps especially my Marshalls. The rig is great sounding and honestly i can´t imagine a better tone/sound at the moment. I use the Speaker-Sim-LineOut (thank you Dave for the great idea!) with a T-Rex Roommate (i much prefere the Roommate over the Neunaber WET) and a Yamaha MSR100 active speaker - damn, what a fu..in cool wet/dry rig!
The Faustine is really top notch and an integral part of my rig just like my old amps or my guitars - i have two units (soon)... i was thinking about selling one because at the moment i can´t afford expensive back-up units. But i think i will sell some other stuff - the DX2 is so stellar. I don´t have the time to play a lot at the moment but it is really inspiring with this unit. Honestly - out of all attenuators out there the Faustine is just a cut above and i would recommend you guys - just get a Faustine Phantom and don´t be confused...!!!!! Is it worth the money? Hell YES!!! Is it worth the waiting time...hmm.. i still don´t know 12month is just too long. Look out for a used one ok maybe they are even more expensive but you will love the unit and forget about the money. At least for me the Phantom is my new favourite tool and the best purchase this year without a doubt.

I was talking to Tim about my refund - it is so sad to read that he can´t pay back the money at the moment because a lot of folks are cancelling the orders and want the money back yesterday. His product is really so cool and i would hate to see the Phantom going out of production or anything like that... i think someone should help him with the business...

Cheers, Tom.

Last edited:

GT100

Hi there!

I just want to write down a few impressions with the DX2... and maybe i can help some folks with the decision getting a new attenuator.

I really had them all - and hated a few of them - to narrow the list down to the useful units:

Aracom PRX-150 DAG:
Very good attenuator. Built like a tank but is really almost heavy and big like a tank... i honestly hated that with the Aracom. With the independent impedance switch it´s a cool tool... but i didn´t care for it too much... first i blew a few fuses with the Aracom because you can´t select the different settings (like from A to C) when the amp is on full. The builder is very helpful and i had a few phone-calls with him. Very cool service indeed. The tone is pretty transparent and the feel is very good. But the Aracom adds something (and i am not talking about any sinus-wave forms...) the tone is a bit stiffer/harder compared to other units... really hard to describe.

Alex´s Attenuator:
Plain and simple the best bang for the buck.
It´s not versatile and it is not that transparent like the Phantom. It is like the poor mans Faustine Phantom...

Faustine Phantom DX2:
I´ve played a Phantom DX in the past and thought it was pretty good - but the Alex was just as good. Well after comparing all of these Attenuators i have to say - the Phantom DX2 is THE BEST attenuator i have ever played. I really really love that unit with my nvm amps especially my Marshalls. The rig is great sounding and honestly i can´t imagine a better tone/sound at the moment. I use the Speaker-Sim-LineOut (thank you Dave for the great idea!) with a T-Rex Roommate (i much prefere the Roommate over the Neunaber WET) and a Yamaha MSR100 active speaker - damn, what a fu..in cool wet/dry rig!
The Faustine is really top notch and an integral part of my rig just like my old amps or my guitars - i have two units (soon)... i was thinking about selling one because at the moment i can´t afford expensive back-up units. But i think i will sell some other stuff - the DX2 is so stellar. I don´t have the time to play a lot at the moment but it is really inspiring with this unit. Honestly - out of all attenuators out there the Faustine is just a cut above and i would recommend you guys - just get a Faustine Phantom and don´t be confused...!!!!! Is it worth the money? Hell YES!!! Is it worth the waiting time...hmm.. i still don´t know 12month is just too long. Look out for a used one ok maybe they are even more expensive but you will love the unit and forget about the money. At least for me the Phantom is my new favourite tool and the best purchase this year without a doubt.

I was talking to Tim about my refund - it is so sad to read that he can´t pay back the money at the moment because a lot of folks are cancelling the orders and want the money back yesterday. His product is really so cool and i would hate to see the Phantom going out of production or anything like that... i think someone should help him with the business...

Cheers, Tom.

Yeah, he told me the other week I'm in the next batch. But who knows when they will get those parts.
I'm not giving up....

Lloyd

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
Great Attenuator. I've had my Faustine Phantom DX for over a year now and it definitely was worth the wait and money!

Rogue

I was talking to Tim about my refund - it is so sad to read that he can´t pay back the money at the moment because a lot of folks are cancelling the orders and want the money back yesterday.
I picked up an Alex for the time being, but plan to stay on the list. The feature set and form of the Phantom are very appealing to me. Not being able to refund people's deposits is bad news. If he doesn't get things moving pretty quickly, lawsuits will probably start. Not good news at all. I hope this works out.

How much you wanting for yours? :rotflmao

Earplayer

yeah i think he needs help to sort out the problems - damn his product is so cool...
after all i have to say that tim is a great guy and i wish him all the best - actually he saved my ass... playing this unit makes me smile every time. honestly it is much better than anything else... very happy camper over here.
i payed top dollar for the used units but i am SO glad i did it. it is the perfect match with my marshall amps!
@rogue - hehe... i don´t think i will sell the second one at the moment - damn thinking of dropping the unit or someone stealing it at a gig is a nightmare - good to have a backup probably.

jp1977

Nice atten but buy used if possible, its worth it not to be stuck paying up front and to be the last one holding a worthless I.O.U. I have seen this scenario unfold with other high end gear manufacturers in the past. Not again, no thanks.

donbarzini

Nice atten but buy used if possible, its worth it not to be stuck paying up front and to be the last one holding a worthless I.O.U. I have seen this scenario unfold with other high end gear manufacturers in the past. Not again, no thanks.

+1 more and more many companies rely on pre-order cash for a non-existent product, bad business IMO. Have product available, then sell or don't go into business and take money from men.

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
I totally agree with you.
Rene

+1 more and more many companies rely on pre-order cash for a non-existent product, bad business IMO. Have product available, then sell or don't go into business and take money from men.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom