Fav EL-34 for that 'Marshall' sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Jul 20, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I'm the new (proud) owner of an Egnater MOD 50. Bassman and SL2 modules. (Review pending)

I have some Ruby Tubes in there now, but during it's paces, I wasn't as thrilled with them as I could be (had the same experience with Ruby when I owned the Triamp). Be nice as backups, but I think I can get more tone out of there.

What is your favorite EL-34 tube inside a 'Marshall style' amp? I'm considering:

-JJ EL-34L
    -Svetlana
    -Groove Tubes Mullard reish
    -S.E.D

Any suggestions?

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

a search for some NOS blue bottle tesla's should be quite easy and they are still fairly affordable. original mullard's are the holy grail for these amps.
    not much of a fan of the svetlana.
    JJs are OK.
    haven't tried the GT 'mullard'.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've run EH's in my two Jubilee's since I've owned them. In the JCM800 2205 I used to own, I think I had JJs...the amp was "ehh" and the tubes in there were "ehh".

4. Ironman

Ironman Member

Ruby EL34BSTR's are my current #1. Prefer them over JJ, Svet, EH and Sovtek. Can't comment on the Mullard reissues, haven't given them a spin yet.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've got the Mullard reissues in my Top Hat Emplexador and I like them better than the Svetlanas and EL34EHs I tried in it.

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm having really good luck with winged C SED's.:)

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I've had good luck with SEDs in a couple amps, I also liked the JJ E34Ls.

8. Erik

Erik Member

If you don't want to go the NOS route, I'd check out the Mullard reissues or the SED =C=.

9. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I would seek a pair of the old RFT/Siemens 34s. They should be about $50-60 a pair, and they are quite easy to find.

10. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

+1 on the Siemens. Second is the Winged "C"s.

11. DownByLaw

DownByLaw Supporting Member

I just swapped the 34s in my VHT clx from Svets to the Mullards. (got mine from Lord Valve, not GT) The Mullards are nice and crunchy, seem slightly scooped with nice detail in the lower mids/bottom. Less overall bottom than the Svets, (which is ok in my bottom heavy amp) and somewhat softer and a little less detail in the higher treble. (which also works for my vht/strat combo) I like them quite a bit for distortion, as they have a nice, even character. Jury is out for cleans, although so far they seem a bit flat. (I will need to tweak a little more) Overall I'm pleased. I never cared for the Svets as they had a muddiness to the lower mids that grated on me and the trebles could get "spiky". The Mullards are more even across the spectrum overall. Would probably work very well in a Marshall style amp.

Let me put a good word out for Jimmy Somma. Great service and a nice guy. I recommend him for my fellow Jerseyites. (he also seemed to dig the VHT quite a bit Great sounding and built like a brick sh*thouse in his opinion. PCB done right. I agree.)

Patrick

12. straticus

straticus Member

Same here.

13. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Winged C Svetlanas, or NOS Siemens - NOS Mullards if you can find 'em ($$$$). Stay away from the new EH fake mullards - total crap & sacriligious to the mullard name. I'd pass on JJ & Rubys too - I know alot of you disagree, but to each his own.

I've played Marshalls for 25+ years - on records & tours - for what its worth.

www.soundoftheblueheart.com

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Thanks for the response's.

Looking at reviews online. It is disgusting to see how many reviewers call their tube 'The closest thing to a genuine Mullard that you will find in new production'.

Sickening.

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I like my old blue Teslas more than I like the EH tubes. I don't remember what else I've had in there, but it doesn't matter, I didn't like them.

16. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Another vote here for the SED's, but I'll have to disagree with the comments on the EH (Svetlana) Mullard reissues, I think they sound great in amps that are vintage or voiced on the dark side, but are a bit on the bright side when used with modern high gain amps.

17. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

I'll second that. In my experience they work very well in the later made 2203, 2204, & Jubilee. The Siemens also have/had a higher fail rate in the first 20 hours or so, make sure they are burned in if you are buying NOS. They can deliver the later Marshall detailed mid-crunch very well with good bass and nice highs. If you have an older, higher plate voltage Marshall above 450-460 then don't use them. Ken Bran had to use what tubes were readily available at that period in time while designing the amp and for quality control. Therefore, just make sure the specs are the same for your replacement tubes. No need to by overspec tubes for an lesserspec amp. Save the $$ and the telefunken and mullards for the really deserving amps that need them.

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

many will take this as heresy, but in many ways i prefer the tesla's to the 'holy grail' mullards. a bit clearer sounding w/o sounding the least bit sterile.

19. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    NOS Teslas (NOT JJ!) EL34s kick major butt. Virtually Mullard performance and tone at 1/3 the price.

20. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I've been using the New Sensor "Mullard" EL34s in my Marshall 2204 and I really like them. Are these the same as the EH Mullards? How many Mullard re-isuues are there anyway?

Cheers,

CJ