Fav meat main course option

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Johnny Moondog, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I am getting tired of chicken (bland) - I much prefer pork, ham, etc.

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

3. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Medium Rare Cowboy-Cut Ribeye:

[​IMG]

4. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Chicken. Fish. Beef. Sausage/ Chorizo. Pastrami. Pork Carnitas.

Chicken does need to be cooked right, but I get those roto chickens from the grocery for 5-6 bucks and they are delicious. Love to make enchiladas with them.

5. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

The "blandness" of chicken is what makes it so versatile for almost any cuisine style. For straight flavor I prefer beef or pork, but I eat more chicken than anything else because you can do so much with it.

But the Poll is for favorite, so I voted beef...

6. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I BBQ a lot, mostly tritip, ribs, and sometimes a rotisserie chicken. Love to cook outside.

But the wife is trying to keep me alive so we are doing more fish.:tapedshut

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

8. NormH3

NormH3 Member

My red meat intake is considerably less than what it was. Never much of a fish lover. Chicken is probably my major source of protein these days. There are so many different ways it can be prepared. probably have it at least 3 times a week.

Buttttttttttttttttttttttt... Cynthia and I did enjoy a treat this weekend. Skillet seared in butter and finished off in the oven.. topped with sautéed shrooms and onion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

From that list, pork. It's versatile, tasty and low in fat. OTOH, I eat a lot of chicken, fish, beef and lamb too. I might eat 3 or 4 eggs a week, usually in an omelet on the weekend. I ate almost no meat except chicken for 15-20 years or so, and while I'm kinda sick of it, I must know 50 different ways to prepare it and they're all tasty.

10. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

[​IMG]

Surf and Turf is even better.

11. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Soak a small cedar/maple/alder plank in water for about 1/2 hour or so, take it out and put a wild salmon filet on it, grill it for 12 minutes covered.

12. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

13. flatnine

flatnine Supporting Member

Love me some steak. Only eat it once per month so it is really a treat when it's steak time!

14. Stike

Stike Member

Really depends on my mood. I cook for my family just about every night and I mix it up, probably going to have a main from all the voting choices every night this week.

It's also hard to pick something like "beef" or "pork" given the different cuts from an animal and different preparations. I love them pork carnitas or a pan seared bone in chop from a heritage breed but pickled pigs feet or chitterlings? No thanks.

So I vote undecided.

Also to the OP, what are you doing where your chicken is bland? It doesn't have to be.

15. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Hm, I forgot about oxtail and Korean style beef short ribs - might be my two favorite main course meat meals. And duck always.

16. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Probably fish. I’ve had lots of great steaks, but nothing beats a good Swordfish steak or fresh oysters out of the gulf.

I’m also a sucker for good sausages; Bangers, Italian, German, Polish… nothing beats a heaping plate of bangers and mash (when they’re done right) and/or wurst/kraut.

17. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Family rarely (pardon the pun) does beef anymore, only on special occasions (save for the meatloaf or burgers every so often).

We usually prefer pork chops, sausage, egg (quiche or frittata), soups, chicken (baked, sautéed or BBQ'd), salmon, cod, tilapia, or shrimp with rice, turkey, or the occasional Italian pizza, pasta, or Asian wok stir-fry noodle recipe.

Every so often we'll break out of our routine and try something unusual with either curry or other seasoning...our family seldom tries international dishes other than Italian, Asian, or Indian. Perhaps some Caribbean, Cajun, Tex-Mex, or rarely Anglo-European, but not much beyond that.

Broke out the Weber several days ago when the weather turned nicer...some seasoned chicken thighs and potato/egg salad...yum.

Will try preparing a meal with the Weber again Wednesday early in the day for Thursday...will be providing guests away from home with a noontime meal Thursday...grilled drumsticks and spinach strawberry salad with glazed pecans and balsamic raspberry glaze dressing, green tea. Enjoy...

18. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Steven Wright Quote: "Your sign says, 'Breakfast Anytime". Does that mean I can have my French toast during the Renaissance?"

19. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I am not a huge poultry fan - even when all marinated and saucy.
    I just like pork (chops, ham, sausage, bacon ,etc).

This post came to me , when I phoned my wife and asked "What's for dinner?"

Chicken again ?

Not to say my wife is not a good cook , or that she is the reason I am bored with poultry - not getting in trouble that way today ;)

20. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Beef has gone far beyond my budget, probably never to return. Which makes me sad.