• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fave capo lately?

Liko

I have an old kyser and Dunlop. What’s good lately?
I like the D'Addario/Planet Waves adjustable ones, especially if you also play electric, 12-string etc. and need to compensate for different string tensions without pulling things totally out of tune.

My go-to is the NS Tri-Action. Simple, effective, inexpensive: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...lanet-waves-pw-cp-09-black-ns-tri-action-capo

NSTriActionBLK-large.jpg

The NS Reflex is similar, but gets the trigger grip more out of the way of your fretting hand. Depending on your technique and how high up you capo, it might be the better choice:
J48291000001000-00-500x500.jpg

jklotz

I like my g7 performance 3 capo. It's supposed to adapt to the fretboard radius. It sounds good, not a little muted like a lot of the spring loaded ones. It's a little pricey though.

For practice, I often use the D'Addario NS Tri-Action. Tension is adjustable and it's an easy, one handed operation to take it on or off. It doesn't sound as good as the G7 though.

gregory70

Silver Supporting Member
I like the Thalia capos and have recently discovered Shubb Fine Tune capos. The yolk-style are really superior if you have the time.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
After many years of basic $20 squeezey clamp-type capos, I bought a Shubb Fine Tune and I'm very happy with it.

Silent Sound

Honestly, of the five or six capos (all different designs) I've owned and used in my life, not one stood out as better or worse than the others. They all did their job equally.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
Kysers to the job, are easy on and off, clamp on my headstock and are reasonably priced.

I buy them six at a time and toss one in every case. Over the course of jams and open mics, they disappear like socks in a dryer, so within a year or so, I may pick up another three. So it goes.

Editorial comment: so many people don’t know how to use capos, and how useful they are at open mic situations, nor do they keep one in their guitar case. Since I am one of the Guitar Nerds in my community, people know I am always prepared.

onwingsoflead

I've really been enjoying my Thalia capo that I picked up a few years ago. I like that I can change the pads to whatever radius I need. Works on everything from my HD28 to my 7.25" radius Fender necks. I still keep a couple Shubbs around, but 9 times out of 10 I use the Thalia

I like Kysers on Acoustics and 12s.

For electrics I use G7 Performance and Shubb partial capos, when called for.

I like the look of Thalia capos. Anything remotely mechanical named after the muse of comedy is right up my street.

onwingsoflead

I like Kysers on Acoustics and 12s.

For electrics I use G7 Performance and Shubb partial capos, when called for.

I like the look of Thalia capos. Anything remotely mechanical named after the muse of comedy is right up my street.
The Thalia is pretty slick. Very easy one handed operation, always gets perfect tension. And the changeable radius pads are really nice. They also have optional different pad materials and a high tension pad set. The only real downside is having to keep up with the other pads.

Tony Done

I've used a lot of different capos on nylon string classical, steel string and electrics. Basic Shubb were my favourites for a long time, but the past few years I've preferred the Planet Waves NS screw capos. I've tried and don't like spring capos of the Kyser type, and I couldn't see the need for spending big $ on the high end stirrup type.

One gripe I have is that not many come in hi-viz colours, which I see as a plus for Kyser. EDIT If I was gigging I would tie a piece of flagging tape or the like to it, as I did with the little black right-angler I used for marking out field trials.

Last edited:

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I am glad folks like their Kysers, but for the life of me I cannot get beyond their industrial spring that puts a gorilla grip onto the strings ...hard pass for me!

1. For live use, I use the Planet Waves ones (see post #4, there are a variety of styles that work under the same excellent principle) because they are trigger-fast and one-hand use like Kysers but have adjustable tension.

2, I have and use a variety of G7th ones (especially their 12-string model as it is the best capo for a 12er I've ever used). The G7ths' ease of use, pressure set by your hand, doesn't get easier, and have lasted for well over a decade (all 1-st gen, except one that is 2nd gen) and all work as good as new. And all maintain tune beautifully.

Edward

feet

sexual visionary
Silver Supporting Member
Can't go wrong with a good old shubb, and I probably still have one or two with the little wheel lying around somewhere. Over a decade of trouble free performance. They also make a yoke capo I sometimes wonder about.

But my favorites are the g7, whatever the yoke one is called. Yeah, they were expensive as hell, but I use them constantly. They don't get lost, they adapt to heavy strings and dumb tunings, they work quickly and accurately, they are easy to adjust without throwing everything out of tune, they are durable and they look great. Quite the investment, but I'm glad I made it.

They're also a stand up company. I had one of their performance capos and it went pear shaped, so I told them and I was able to work out a deal where instead of just replacing it, as they would have gladly done, they let me put the value of that replacement toward another of their yoke capos, which brought it down into my price range.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom