• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fave OD/Distro pedals that have lots of flavor/color/character

Meriphew

There's always threads about transparent OD/Distortion pedals. What are your favorite OD/Distro pedals that add lots of color/flavor/character to your sound?

chaz498

Providence Stampede. Helped me understand what people mean when they say "chewy tone".

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I like DS-2 (turbo mode) and the HM-2 for distortion with heavy midrange. They both have different mid emphasis, without sounding too similar to a Rat. Some of the only 'distortion' pedals I really enjoy actually.

meterman

I'm realizing I like "transparent" ODs for lower gain, Tim/my > Soulfood for instance is awesome for cleaner stuff. But for higher gain tones I'm realizing that I like more mids, grunt, cut, whatever. My favorites have been the Dyna Red and the Plimsoul, I got a Gold Shift in the mail last night that has a good amount of gain and a fairly aggressive midrange character. Also liked the Hermida Mosferatu and the Barber DDSS, both thick sounding pedals with lots of mids.

Snare227

Crunch Box.... Mmmm. Sounds a little thin when playing alone, but it really rocks when you're with the band.

Lullabies

Hands down the Triple Wreck by Wampler I just got... its an AIAB pedal so its pretty much a Mesa triple rectifier in a box. Adds another flavor of distortion that is different from my MI audio SCB and Fulltone Ultimate octave...

Its a big sounding pedal too.. very beefy with the mids backed off a touch and the bass at noon.

I've never been a fan of super transparent ODs to be honest... They always seem to sound thin/ratty through mulitple amps I have tried them through... Not sure why maybe I'm just too used to pedals that add something to the sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom