Fave OD for P-90s?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Winklin, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Winklin

Winklin Member

Sometimes (as in my case) a tricky pickup with pedals. I've found that most TS styles can be too midrangy, and a lot of Marshall styles get too bassy and trebly at the same time. Anyone found something they love with P-90s for soloing with just enough midrange cut and a sweet top end?

2. javahut

javahut Member

3. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I've found that a Barber Direct Drive works pretty well with P90s. It's a sweet sounding pedal with a decent amount of gain on tap. Nice, lively sounding pedal with just about every pickup.

My black Barber LTD (first version) also sounds pretty good with P90s, in a 'classic rock' sort of way. There is a mid bump, however, and not too much bass, although I haven't fooled around with the internal trimmer.

P90s also work pretty well with my Fulltone '69 and OCD. In fact, these two pedals sound good with just about everything. The OCD might be a good choice for a couple of reasons: Mine, a v4, adds bass as you crank the gain. Also, the very responsive tone knob and LP/HP switch are pretty useful in dialing in or out highs and upper mids.

I'm finding that my Blackstone OD doesn't work really well with P90s. Either that or I just haven't dialed in a good sound yet.

Good luck,
    - jeff -

4. jgyn

jgyn Member

Crowther Hotcake sounds good.

5. asdf

asdf Member

Honeybee- some think the high end is a little muted, but it's thick enough that it can do wonders for riffs and solos in my experienced....

6. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

For me, I've been happy with almost anything I run mine through. My Melancon P90 Artist has been "the" axe for me since I got it several years ago. Almost all the pedals can sound like crap or gold....it's just a matter of using the ears to dial it in. The stand outs would be my Red Llama (hard to get I know) and the Tim but really, they all go well with it. I think it's the perfect pickup :)

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

ProAnalog Dual Drive can dial in great sounds for P-90's

8. Winklin

Winklin Member