Favorite 10 guage strings for Strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

What are you using? I've been a huge Ernie Ball fan for a long time but I'm finally gonna break down and try these DR Pure Blues. What strings have you found that help give you that rounded mellow vintage tone when using low output pickups?

My Grosh came with SIT stings and I haven't changed them yet, I wonder how they compare tonally to the others I mentioned.

2. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

3. HHB

HHB Member

DR pure blues , but I sub a 16 for the 17 G string in the 10 set

4. sqadan

sqadan Member

+1 - only strings I use. :dude

5. yugnat

yugnat Member

GHS Burnished Nickels in 10's are my favorite, that's all I've been using for a while now - great tone.

6. GuitarX

GuitarX Member

My favorites have become Infeld Superalloy strings. They last a LONG time, I've never broken one, and they feel and sound great. They'll be brighter than the pure nickel strings the other guys like though. If you want that pure nickel sound, try the Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders. A little more expensive but the T-Is are worth it.

G

7. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

I used GHS Boomers for quite a while, but now I'm back to Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's...don't know if I'll switch again.

Never tried the DR's by the way...should do that I guess.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

9. jamison162

I use those on my Taylor 810. They do go dead quick though. I've got a set of the Alchemy Gold-Phos to try. I hear they are great sounding strings.

Ok..all you DR Blues guys, why? Why do they sound so much better...or how, rather. And what about the Tite-Fit? What's the difference??

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I like EB's but they seem to go dead fast for me. A couple days and then they're mellow.

The Snake Oils are supposed to last longer, but they seemed to mellow from the start. Even their rock set.

Daddarios are bright and seem to last the longest. I go back to them, but they have more tension than EB's, so I switch off sometimes.

11. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I know what NOT to use - Fender Bullets. They always seem to break on the strat. Good on the tele though.

12. dave s

dave s Member

A switch from EB to DR might require some guitar adjustments as the string tension of the DRs is different.

Another choice is SIT Nickel Power Wound .010 set. Very 'soft' feel. You'll get about 6 hours more life from them than EBs. Last I'd heard, Grosh guitars are strung with SIT as original equipment.

Good enough for me!

dave

13. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I always used Pure Blues DR's, but found some inconsistency in several packs. I am using the Vintage Reissue Gibson's (all nickel as well) and they are terrific strings.

14. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

DR Pure Blues without question. The tight fits are a little brighter and more like the GHS Boomers if that makes sense. Depends on what you want out of them. I use Tite Fits on my Les Paul sometimes.

The PB's seem to have less interplay they last a good long time and they just sound like I feel like they should. Not to bright, not too dark. They sound kind of neutral. You can use your playing dynamics to get what you want rather than be forced to back off a bit.

15. geetarman

geetarman Member

I switch between GHS Burnished Nickel 10's and DR Pure Blues 10's.

16. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I love both - I found the Burnished Nickel GHS set to be a tad brighter than the Snake Oil Vintage set, but both are awesome. Are the GHS burnished nickel strings available anywhere other than Callaham?

17. sqadan

sqadan Member

+1... the DRs really do seem to help with playing dynamics... They also seem to "break in" nicely after an hour or so to where they become really comfortable to play.

18. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've tried DR Blues, GHS, D'Addairio, Ernie Ball, etc. and I always come back to Fender 150 pure nickels on my Fenders. They just feel and sound right to me.

19. TIG

TIG Member

Don put's SIT string's on his guitar's for a reason...They sound and feel great!! Have yet to find anything better for my Retro Classic

20. jamison162

They're ok....but that's the whole point of my thread. The SIT's are too bright on my ash RC. As I'm sure any nickel plated steel string would be...compared to the pure nickel offerings. I think I've found the answers I was looking for.