• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite 12" speaker in a Princeton Reverb

mingo

I have an older Princeton Reverb (currently with a Rajin Cajin 10") and have been thinking about an upgrade to a 12" speaker. I like the sound of the 10" in there now but would like it to sound bigger, I hooked it up to a Deluxe Reverb speaker and came close to the same sound as a deluxe.

Wondering what everyones recommendations are?

Thanks

Silent Sound

Pretty much the same recommendations as a deluxe, I would think. Then it just depends on what you personally like. I think the most common ones I see are the JBL D120F, a true vintage Jensen C12N, a Weber 12F150, Eminence Cannibus Rex, Celestion Blue, etc... It all depends on what you want. Do you want more midrange? More treble? More bass? More complex harmonics? Tighter feel? Looser feel? Do you want it to compress at loud volumes or stay as clean as possible? Different strokes for different folks.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
I've only heard them in the Vintage Sound clone version but the Warehouse G12CS sounds very nice and "American" and is reasonably priced.

mingo

Pretty much the same recommendations as a deluxe, I would think. Then it just depends on what you personally like. I think the most common ones I see are the JBL D120F, a true vintage Jensen C12N, a Weber 12F150, Eminence Cannibus Rex, Celestion Blue, etc... It all depends on what you want. Do you want more midrange? More treble? More bass? More complex harmonics? Tighter feel? Looser feel? Do you want it to compress at loud volumes or stay as clean as possible? Different strokes for different folks.
More bass, complex harmonics. And stay pretty clean.

I don't love a lot of treble.

Any recommendations with that?

revgsmall

I don't use my 64 Princeton (Weber 10f-150 in that) with a 12 but I have tried a few in my Deluxe: my faves are: Weber 12F150, Eminence Cannibus Rex

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I've only heard them in the Vintage Sound clone version but the Warehouse G12CS sounds very nice and "American" and is reasonably priced.
I have a WGS G12S in my Princeton Reverb II (Rivera era Princeton) and it's a perfect match for that amp - lots of good firm American lows and all the top-end sparkle you could want - a 3D sounding speaker from that enclosure.

TNO

I have a Jensen Tornado in mine and it's perfect, the light weight is a bonus.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Celestion Gold in my Allen Sweet Spot. Great speaker, although not a spot on vintage Fender tone.

pbmw

I have a 76 SFPR that I put a 10" Celestion Gold in.
On occasion, I also run it into a Bassman cab with a pair of WGS G12C's

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry for bumping this thread, but this is the very thread I would be making anyways, so why not keep it together.

I have been using a 12" Eminence Lil Texas in my PRRI. It's loud/efficient at 101db but super light at 4.1 lbs (neo speaker). It's just been a tad bright for me.

I just put in a Cannabis Rex. It's just as loud/efficient. But it's twice as heavy. It definitely has rounded, warmer highs...not bright. I need more time to decide if it's a keeper cause I really like the lightweight of the Lil Texas.

Heady Jam Fan

Sorry for bumping this thread, but this is the very thread I would be making anyways, so why not keep it together.

I have been using a 12" Eminence Lil Texas in my PRRI. It's loud/efficient at 101db but super light at 4.1 lbs (neo speaker). It's just been a tad bright for me.

I just put in a Cannabis Rex. It's just as loud/efficient. But it's twice as heavy. It definitely has rounded, warmer highs...not bright. I need more time to decide if it's a keeper cause I really like the lightweight of the Lil Texas.
How old was the Lil' Tex? Was it broken in?

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
How old was the Lil' Tex? Was it broken in?
I've had it a couple years I think. Lots of rehearsals and some gigs, so its broken in. I like it and am considering putting it back in. The Cannabis Rex is practically brand new however.

Last edited:

TylerRex790

I use an Eminence Canis Major (alnico hemp cone,) and an Eminence Cannabis Rex (ceramic hemp cone.) The snappy response of the C-Rex coupled with the Canis Major's bark really mix well. They are both super high sensitivity speakers too, so I get plenty of volume.

Trending Topics