Favorite 6V6's for a BF Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Hanky, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Just put some JJ's in mine and they sound great but one of them is rattling, just enough to drive you insane and make recording impossible.

So the parameters are that is has to hang with the DR plate voltage, sound great and not be fooking noisey.

2. Don L

Don L Member

I like the NOS RCAs and Mazdas the best.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Anything NOS will hang with the plate voltage and nothing is noisy unless it's defective.

The Brimars and Marconis are great. RCAs are the gold standard.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I dig the old Raytheon tubes, the RCA Black/Smoked/Gray/Clear glass models, Delco's (GM rebrand of RCA's I believe), and the new JJ's. Swap the "tube rattling" JJ out for another one and see if it goes away.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Kool, thanks guys!

6. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Anyone mind giving some characteristics about the tubes as far as... Especially the JAN Phillips in comparison to Brimar, RCA, Marconi's, and Mazda.

amount of high end
    amount of low end
    smooth, grit...
    high headroom
    low headroom

7. Curly

Curly Member

I'd check KCA NOS for descriptions.

the Phillips aren't my favorite, but YMMV

8. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I Have Phillips in my Divided by 13 FTR 37.....I am currently experiencing some boom in the bottom end (although I think this could part be due to a G12H30 70th Anniversary speaker) but I was hoping that maybe another tube might fix that up and sound really sweet. Love my amp, just trying to tweak out the negatives. I hear a lot of negatives about the Phillips so any characteristics by a tube expert helps.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I like the French tubes, seem to have a bit more opper mid push, slightly less headroom. To my ears they move the amp just a hair towards the Marshall camp.

10. Wayne

Wayne Member

In my experience, the JJ's will handle the plate voltage with no problem at all.

Wayne

11. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

+1

I'm not a fan of the Phillips 6v6 either. I've had NOS Phillips in a couple different amps that I have owned and they just seem lifeless in comparison to some others I have used. I've had great results with Tung-Sol, and RCA tubes.

12. larc

larc Member

Same here; don'tcare for Philips either.

For a blackface Deluxe Reverb, my first pick would be blackplate RCA 6V6GTYs, followed by Visseaux 6V6GTs.
    Like Tungsol tubes as well, but never experienced their 6V6s

13. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

I'd like to know why you guys like certain ones and why you don't like others. It'd help. Thanks.

14. larc

larc Member

I just know I liked the blackplate and Visseaux tubes better compared to what I had in my DR before(Sovtek and Phillips). Sovteks seemed the worst...thin, bright, crappy harmonics. Philips...boomy punchy low end. Stiff, no sparkle, didn't break up very well.

The reason I like blackplate RCA GTYs is because I find the tubes to be pretty well balanced. Open sounding; not too boomy, not too bright, not too midrangey (pretty wide bandwidth). When it breaks up, it still has a good amount of clarity and articulation. The harmonics sound musical...the highs also have a nice shimmer or sparkle on top.

If you're looking for a thicker sound, the Visseauxs seemed beefier, more presence and thickness in the mids...seemed to cut better live. Not as open sounding as blackplates. The highs do sparkle, but less than the blackplates.

For what it's worth, I have a '53 Deluxe (5C3). It has a pretty used pair of RCA grey plate 6V6s (which I don't think are balanced very close). Never tried sticking these tubes in a DR, but I like the way they sound in the amp. Perhaps they might sound pretty good in a DR too.

I have 2 Stark amps that sport JJ and Brimar 6V6's, but never tried comparing them in a circuit with other brands mentioned.

You know, when choosing tubes for an amp, I think you also need to consider the mutual conductance of your tubes. Besides providing different headroom levels, it also seems to change the tonality and voicing a bit too.

I would not count on RCA blackplates and Visseaux's providing any of the results I described...there are too many variables in amps and tubes.

15. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

If the boom I get in the lowend is in fact from the Phillips I'm ording tubes ASAP.