Favorite 6V6's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Occam, May 15, 2006.

1. Occam

Occam Member

I have a little Matamp C7 that can take all kinds of tubes. I'm really much more of an EL34 (and now I love the JJKT77's) but I figured I'd go ahead and try it with a 6V6 when I want some vintage Fender tones. I only need one so getting a nice NOS isn't going to kill me either.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Visseaux
    Mazda
    RCA
    Sylvania

The new JJs are nice too.

3. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

Anything NOS from 1965 back. Its hard to get a bad sounding 6V6G or 6V6GT or GTY from those years. They are all well built and strong sounding with great tone. My favorite tube and I am thankfull they are still so plentifull and easy to find in NOD

4. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Gold Supporting Member

I have tried them all and although some new production, like JJs are nice, IMHO nothing compares to a good NOS for great 6V6 tone. My favorites for a blackface fender are GE or RCA 6V6 GTAs, which have more mids,which helps blackface amps which are weak in the mid range. RCA blackplates are good too but are stronger in the high end. Because you only need one tube, you should be able to pick up one NOS 6V6 at a reasonable price because you are not paying for a matched pair. I would try eBay-you should be able to find some good ones there if you do a search. They don't have to be unused if you buy them from a reputable seller who has tested them. I have bought some great 6V6 "pulls" on eBay.

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I like the Electro Harmonix 6V6's in my Nau Engineering amp.

6. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

JJs for clean headroom; Electro Harmonix for tweediness; "new" Tung Sols for tight bottom, excellent mids, creamy tops - very vintagelike.

I like JJs for jazz, either EH or Tung Sols for most other applications. Right at the moment, I'm liking Tung Sols the best -but- I guess it depends on your amp and the quality of tone you want to hear from it.

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

Phillips JAN NOS
    RCA
    GE

8. bob-i

bob-i Member

Exactly my thoughts. I have JJ's in a Dumble clone, jazzy, creamy and can handle the voltage. I have EH in my Tweed Deluxe Clone and TungSols in my Super Reverb clone using a low voltage tap on the PT.

9. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

I have an old metal RCA in my tweed champ clone and it sings with the best of them. Its gotta be from the 50's or something. I wish I had the self control to save it but it just sounds so damn good. It just never gives up. Right up to full volume. That tube with my original Jensen C8R are just heavenly.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd buy NOS and I'd buy at least two:
    1. Visseau, Mazda, RFT: the european 6V6s sound a little more marshall/el34 to me. Better distorted.
    2. GE/Sylvania/RCA: a more american sound with less midrange bark, more highs and lows. Better for clean.

11. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I like Visseau, Mazda, RCA Black Plate smoke glass, and Brimar 6V6 GTY's.

12. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Good advice. To my ears the RCAs are the clear winners, but I've never tried the European offerings. I like the new JJs but compared to RCAs they are bass deficient and just not as full. They are very musical though. I put them on the same level as GEs and Sylvanias. I'd love to ge my hands on pairs of Mazdas, Visseaus and Brimars.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  14. Reeek

Reeek Member

I recently did a shoot out with about 12 high end vintage tubes of super high regard and the winner in my Hi Mu single 6V6 head was . . .

The Brimar, hands down.

Singing sustain
    Even frequency response
    Simply tone for days

And yes, of the 12 tubes, many were the so called Holy Grails . . .

I agree with Mike on the Marconi 6V6G as being top notch but I couldn't fit those in my amp ; I owm three matched pairs of those fine tubes.

15. Srini

Srini Guest

Though I didn't do a shoot out, I followed Mike's recommendation (as I've learned to do now without question!) and used Brimars, and had Mike put them in. I think they sound great, and from what I remember, a significant improvement over the JJs that were in there.

Srini

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I put Brimar's in my masonette and they sound great, although this amp is pretty far removed from a deluxe type amp.

17. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

My favorite to date is the Mullard 6V6G coke bottle.:AOK

18. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I've got Brimars in my Super Champ and they sound awesome. Great smokey sustaining sound. Love them. Also recommended by Mike.

19. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Easy

Visseaux

Good luck finding any though

Dan

20. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

has anyone ever used Pope 6v6gt NOS?