• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Acoustic strings?

Johnkenn

I've been using Elixirs for a while, but I just bought a new Martin and it had some strings I just loved - I'm thinking they look more like EXP's. The wound strings look like 80/20 Bronze, so I think I'm going to try a set of that to see if it's the same thing. I started going with the lighter coated Elixirs because I use my guitar every day and I tend to really go through regular strings...Anyway, just wondering if anybody had any thoughts.

Deadduck

If it was a new Martin, it might have had Martin strings. Not sure exactly what they ship their guitars with nowadays though, and they could have changed them at the dealer if it hung on the wall for any period of time.

When I played a Taylor, I used Elixers. I tried others, but that's what seemed to work with that guitar.

Now that my main acoustic is a J-45, I've settled on light guage, uncoated Phosphor Bronze DiAddarios (EJ-16). I do not like the tone of the EXP's. I didn't like Elixers on this guitar either. I play this guitar almost daily, and change strings about once a month, or maybe a little more often than that.

Anyway, experiment around and see what gives you the best tone and feel.

surfdawg99

I use D'addario light gauge on my Martin 000 golden era 37. I like them way better than the stock Martin strings. I tried some coated DR's for a while, they didn't have the tone of the D'addarios that I like.

FWIW, the guitar tech at Norm's vintage guitar, puts D'addarios on as his first choice for acoustics. He sees and plays a lot of amazing guitars, and can use any strings he wants.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
If I am not playing regularly, Elixars. If I am playing acoustic regularly, nothing sounds better to my ears than John Pearse.

Johnkenn

If it was a new Martin, it might have had Martin strings. Not sure exactly what they ship their guitars with nowadays though, and they could have changed them at the dealer if it hung on the wall for any period of time.
Very well could have been Martin strings - but this guitar was in the store for a while, so considering the shape they were in, (good) I assumed they had been re-strung. Anyway - the EADG are all bright copper colored. I'm not real familiar with phosphur bronze, but I think these must be...They're not the 80/20 EXP's - just tried those on my Santa Cruz...

MartinC

I use Ernie Ball 11's. I like them best when they've been on there for about a week and they've mellowed a tiny bit.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious....I've always seen alot of votes for John Pearse strings in these polls. What makes em' so good? Bright, warm, balanced? I've always wanted to give them a try, but for some reason stick with "the old stand by" DR's.

nik

D'Addario EJ17 (13-56 guage). I tried several others over the years, but keep coming back to these strings...

PHLOW

Have you tried the newer Phosphor Bronze Elixirs? I think they have more presence/focus than the other Elixir offerings, yet you get the long lasting benefit as well. May be worth a try.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I'm curious....I've always seen alot of votes for John Pearse strings in these polls. What makes em' so good? Bright, warm, balanced? I've always wanted to give them a try, but for some reason stick with "the old stand by" DR's.
The one oustanding characteristic I'd attach to them is clarity.

M

Member 995

I like the 'true medium' and 'new medium' sets (same gauges, different companies). I use either John Pearse PB (I have to get them online) or GHS PB (a local shop stocks them).

franksguitar

I use nanoweb Exilers on my Taylor, I use D'Addario bronze or Martin Marquis on my Takamine 12 and Avarez Yairi

geetarman

Gold Supporting Member
I like the 'true medium' and 'new medium' sets (same gauges, different companies). I use either John Pearse PB (I have to get them online) or GHS PB (a local shop stocks them).
I love the JP 710NM's I have them on both of my Martins nice even tension across all strings with only about 10 lbs more pull than lights.

Trending Topics