• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

favorite amp....BURIED ALIVE!!!!

Boogs

Went to jam with some old bandmates last night. It was a blast, and I'm going to play a show with them soon...first time I'll be onstage since way back. Good stuff!

Unfortunately, I was hoping my Deluxe would cut it, since I'm only sitting in on rhythm. Um...no. If I were the only guitarist, it would have been different, but I forgot how LOUD the lead player and drummer are. I was buried!

Luckily, my Direct Drive sounds awesome with my trusty old Yammie G100-115, and that'll give me the chunk and snarl to propel things for the upcoming rehearsals and show. Gotta say, my favorite guitar, my ASAT Classic, didn't really cut it for this gig either - I need humbuckers.

Just goes to show, it's nice to have options, versus selling off all but your "favorites". I would have never imagined playing rhythm for this show a month ago, but here I am.

Boogs

I can't even begin to get the Deluxe loud enough for stage volume, unfortunately. This guitarist uses a 150-watt, two amp rig these days...a change from when I played with them before. Also, I had forgotten how loud the drummer is, even after playing with him in a couple different bands before.

It's cool, though, as the Yamaha sounds great with a Weber alnico Chicago 15" installed and the Barber Direct Drive in front of it. The Chicago LOVES that pedal, and I'll be well overdriven for 95% of the show/totally clean the other 5%.

It's just funny that I'm going to be using the S-73. It's probably the guitar I would have given up first if you had asked me last week, but it's perfect for the gig. Also, I had mostly held on to the Yamaha for sentimental reasons (I actually had another amp for clean headroom until recently), but a recent speaker change and the aquisition of the DD have made it a tone machine for pure cleans/pedal OD.

Like I said, it's always nice to hold on to stuff, as you never know what will be perfect for an unexpected situation. Guess I don't need to tell many of you folks that, though. ;)

Boogs

I hope you are wearing ear protection.
I didn't think to bring earplugs last night, but you better believe I'm wearing them for the remainder of the practices. Damn those guys are loud. I thought we were supposed to get quieter with age, but this group is headed the other direction!

Greentone

I didn't think to bring earplugs last night, but you better believe I'm wearing them for the remainder of the practices. Damn those guys are loud. I thought we were supposed to get quieter with age, but this group is headed the other direction!
I hate to piss in the punch, but I wouldn't have anything to do with guys who play that loud. Your ears are simply too important to sacrifice. And say what you will, but playing at a moderate volume allows for much better dynamics, nuance and interplay than playing at Ted Nugentistical volumes. :RoCkIn

Boogs

I hate to piss in the punch, but I wouldn't have anything to do with guys who play that loud. Your ears are simply too important to sacrifice. And say what you will, but playing at a moderate volume allows for much better dynamics, nuance and interplay than playing at Ted Nugentistical volumes. :RoCkIn
This is a one shot affair, and while these guys aren't Nuge-esque, I agree. When you have a loud drummer, it's going to be loud, and this guy is loud. He's also incredible, as is the guitarist!

I'll be done school in a couple of weeks, after slugging it out for years. When I start playing out again, I'd really like to be in a great band first, but also a band that is not super-loud. I have had a tinge of low-level ringing since my twenties - playing in bands and bartending on dancefloors will do that to you.

John Phillips

Volume is overated....

Good tone is underated.
Small amps are over-rated, especially round here :).

You need enough power to get the job done, no less, and preferably more. A good bigger amp with controllable distortion relative to volume will give you good tone at quiet or loud volume... a small amp will only give you it at quiet volume.

And actually, a more powerful amp will give you more dynamics than a less powerful one, by definition - because its maximum volume is higher but its minimum volume is exactly the same. (Assuming the band is capable of using those extremes.)

I'd definitely get earplugs, too - the problem is more likely to be the drummer than the amp, but either will wreck your hearing if they're loud enough.

Small amps are over-rated, especially round here :).

You need enough power to get the job done, no less, and preferably more. A good bigger amp with controllable distortion relative to volume will give you good tone at quiet or loud volume... a small amp will only give you it at quiet volume.

And actually, a more powerful amp will give you more dynamics than a less powerful one, by definition - because its maximum volume is higher but its minimum volume is exactly the same. (Assuming the band is capable of using those extremes.)

I'd definitely get earplugs, too - the problem is more likely to be the drummer than the amp, but either will wreck your hearing if they're loud enough.
I agree; 35+ watts tube is what I figure is the minimum I want on hand to play with a rock drummer. That's why the most popular amp size is around 40~ 50 watts (2x6L6 or EL34),IMO.

Sarasmiles

This is a one shot affair, and while these guys aren't Nuge-esque, I agree. When you have a loud drummer, it's going to be loud, and this guy is loud. He's also incredible, as is the guitarist!

I'll be done school in a couple of weeks, after slugging it out for years. When I start playing out again, I'd really like to be in a great band first, but also a band that is not super-loud. I have had a tinge of low-level ringing since my twenties - playing in bands and bartending on dancefloors will do that to you.

I have always felt though the Deluxe is an amazing tone machine in many ways, Live gigs unless there is potential of Mic'ing is its downfall in a lot of venues.
I have been in a few blues joints where the Deluxe would be considered loud, And other clubs where it would have never been heard.

I shouldn't really say anything, But there is a new weapon of destruction being released shortly.

Now that all the field testing complete, and the first units under construction, There is hope on the horizon.

I will formally announce it soon. But I will say this, The beta musicians that did the testing are already on the list. These boys know Mojo when they hear it.

Sara :)

Strat

150 watts ?? For What ? a Club date...I would pass. Thas just friggin idiotic anymore for even a stadiium date. Or did you say it was a hair band ?

Boogs

I shouldn't really say anything, But there is a new weapon of destruction being released shortly.
God help me when I graduate and actually have money to spend. (I'm a gone-back-to-school old timer) I'm going to own every amp you make, and a couple more guitars...NICE guitars. The horrible part is that I graduate in four weeks!

No, not a "hair band." Just very enthusiastic ex-punks. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom