Favorite Amp Emulator Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Jan 26, 2008.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

So what's everybody's favorite amp emulator pedal these days? Looking for something to sit on a small pedalboard and make a solid state power amp sound tubish, essentially running direct.

Have to say I was very disappointed by the Fender/Boss pedals. V-Stacks still a fav? One great, probably Fenderish tone would be enough, Pods are likely a little overkill. Amp FX is way overkill for a simpleton like me.

2. redpill

redpill Member

I still keep going back to the Tech 21 SansAmps. The V-stack had enormous promise before the First Act buyout. Now I'm not so sure I'd trust them to be the same level of product. Tech 21 just announced a range of pedals that each emulate a single amp type. Might be worth investigating (see another thread here).

3. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I was gonna say the same. You should check out the new Tech 21 pedals - they look really cool. They've got one for pretty much each main type of amp.

Although, nothing really substitutes the real thing. As these pedals can often be pricey, I might suggest saving a little extra cash and getting a Blues Jr. I'd say that they're pretty close to a Fender sound...

4. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I liked the Hughes Kettner Tubeman II for this

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Definately the yamaha magicstomp, but not with the factory presets - with my own creations based on A/B tests.
    here's a demo of some of em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8O7EoA_7yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7masJ3wlALE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUMba15i4ww

The advantage of this unit is that you can run the sims into your amp with a little correction because they are based on huge algorythms and not just 'british cab,american combo' type preset sims.

I can turn my AC30 into a twin with the flick of a switch.

These demos weredirect into the PC though.

I also have an A/B after one of the units, if my amps go down I can flick straight to the PA and no mortal would notice the difference.
    The advantage with this unit is also that you can have a straight sim, or an amp sim with mic sims and post mic effects if you have an extra unit.

6. mrecho

mrecho Member

C-tech sonny boy !!! The best for vintage amp sim

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I forgot to add that a big round clean tone is worth more to me than distortion for this app. If I could find a peadl that did a twin alone, I'd be golden. It would also be cool if the pedal could handle another pedal (my Quattro) hitting the front end and clipping like a good tube amp.

8. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Sansamp spanks your clean tone when you run it into a PA/direct.

Thumbs up for the GT2 Sansamp

9. Merelington

Merelington Member

I'm going to have to agree with the Tech 21 Sansamp GT2...can pretty much get anywhere from light breakup to full blown distortion tastefully. I don't think i'm ever going to replace mine.

10. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I didn't think much of the Boss/Fender deluxe pedal, but the Bassman sounds amazing to me after a little tinkering with the EQ.

11. Dajax

Dajax Member

Yet another vote for the Tech 21 Sansamp...I bought mine when they first came out. They're also great for recording bass. Check out my Gretsch through one on the "Watchtower" demo at
    http://bandmix.ca/dajax

12. Mr Benn

Mr Benn Member

the roger linn adrenalinn

13. spentron

spentron Member

Amp emulation is not necessarily the same as sounding tube-ish. Emulation has to do with many tonal factors, largely frequency response. When enough things are similar that a comparison to a specific amp might come to mind, that's emulation. This seems like a flawed concept when running through an existing amp. Compare this with something that would keep the exact same "voicing" of the amp, but make it sound more tube, possibly even down to clean but certainly whenever there is distortion.

I tried a Line 6 Spider III, many nice sounds, large variation. Almost the only thing that the sounds have in common is they don't sound like tubes. Much better than a RP300, which really seemed like the same generic distortion with different EQ for the different models. My experience (and interest, at this point) is somewhat limited.

Anyone with insight, discuss.

14. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

ed84246 - yeah I agree, the Bassman is definitely the better of the two for my ears. I just couldn't get the thing to sound convincing going direct into a PA or equiv. Maybe I should play with one more.

spentron - not looking to make a certain tube amp sound like another. Specifically, I'm looking for something to make a PA or an acoustic amp (directly to the power section if necessary) sound more like a tube amp, at least convincing enough to serve as a backup or for use when a cranked tube amp isn't apropriate.

Looks like there is a significant Sans Amp following

15. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

i prefer all menatones. If you're using a fender blackface voiced amp.

16. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

17. screamingduck

screamingduck Gold Supporting Member

Menatone pedals sound very amplike and are based on the following.
    Top Boost in a Can= Vox AC30
    WorkingmansBlue= Marshall JTM-45
    Howie= Dumble (not sure which model)
    Dirty Blonde= Fender Blonde Tolex Bassman
    King of the Britains= Marshall Plexi
    Kar Krash= Trainwreck
    Fargen VOS= Fargen VOS

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for the Sansamp. It's my backup to my tube amps and sounds at least as good as a BF Fender thru the PA system...

19. Sandro

Sandro Member

+1 on the Tech 21 Sansamp I have the TRI-Ac and in my studio it sound great.

Sandro

20. crosse79

crosse79 Member

+1 on the Menatone.