Favorite amps for low volume recording?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deaj, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I spend most of my guitar playing time these days at home. I can push the volume occasionally but most of the time I have to keep it sane (family, neighbors). For nearly a decade I used a Fender Super Champ almost exclusively (master volume used to keep everyone happy). I had a BiValve w/6K6s and a Hotplate for a while. Then a Rivera combo + pedals (this was a great rig). Now I'm using a Fuchs ODS 50 1x12 combo (master volume again) and it's the best low volume rig yet - records wonderfully at low volume! For most of the stuff I'm playing the Fuchs is a perfect fit.

What the Fuchs doesn't cover is classic Marshall and Fender tones so my question is this: are there any amps out there that can produce convincing classic Marshall tones at family friendly volume (favor early JMP 50w)? How about classic Fender (blacface and/or tweed)?

I've tried the Carr Mercury and I was really impressed! The price is steep but a used one might be feasible in the near future. Any others worth looking at?

I haven't really heard or played anything that does great classic Marshall tones at lower volume. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Thinking something along the lines
    of a Princeton Reverb for the Fender sound. Perhaps
    even a Moded Vibro Champ /w reverb pedal. Then perhaps
    no reverb and a pedal for more marshally tone.
    Might just be the ticket for recording; little
    speaker big tone!

3. ned911

ned911 Member

Either the GuitarPort or a Fender Champ with a Weber MiniMass. Pretty simple setup.

4. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

The Fender Pro Jr. is great little amp.

5. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

You could check out Mark Stephenson's Stage Hog, which is an all tube 1 watt mini amp which can be used as an overdrive pedal. However, this does change the tone of a Fender and heads it well into Plexi-Marshall territory. For me it is the stuff.
    The website is www.stephensonamps.com.

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Mini Z
    Swart 5w
    Bad Cat Mini Cat
    Carr Mercury

and the first 3 are pretty reasonably priced new

7. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

8. bobontheair

bobontheair Member

What about the Zinky BV 25. I have heard good things about the MV on this amp. Anyone use it specifically for low volume playing?

Another amp I am looking at is the Peters 3CP1. Does he make a 1x12 combo?

I do own the Carr Mercury and I think it is a great amp. I really like it with a Suhr Chambered Tele with Suhr's vintage pups

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Aiken Tomcat is probably my fave for low volume. I'm able to do a lot of great low-volume work with my Orange Rockerverb as well. Not only does it have a great master, but with my Replifex in the loop, I can dial the Replifex output way down. Kinda like cheating, huh? :) Who care...works like a charm! :dude

10. erksin

erksin Member

Are you looking to record Fender cleans at all? My '65 VibroChamp sounds awesome for that purpose - a 5751 in V1 and 6-7 on the volume and it sounds like a Super Reverb on tape...

11. bluestein

bluestein Member

Pod XL Live

or

Isolation Cab - with whatever amp you prefer

12. ctoddrun

ctoddrun Member

I've got a 3.5 watt Torres Engineering Boogie Mite that I bought for this purpose.

Sadly, it sits and collects dust at mi casa.

Anyone need a low wattage, tube driven, Carlos-Santana-In-A-Box amp?

It got rave reviews in a recent Vintage Guitar small wattage amp shootout.

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Blackface Twin Reverb
    Marshall Major

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

alessandro beagle... love it!

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

For the Fender route I'd go with (well, I have gone with) a Princeton Reverb. Mine is a '65. They sound great at a reasonable volume level. Lots of recording studios have these for a reason. I'm intrigued by the Victoria 518 (tweed champ clone), but it is a bit pricey for what it is. I'll probably buy a used one. As silly as it sounds, an attenuator on either of these amps will be useful for recording.

For a Marshall tone I'm not sure what the best choice is. Maybe one of those Marshall preamps in a pedal? Something like the V Stack or Tonebone? I tried the Tonebone and didn't really care for it, but a lot of people like them.

Bryan

16. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Carr Mercury for me, but I've had nice results with a Flextone II combo before when using interesting mic'ing techniques. The Carr is really the ultimate amp for this, imho- you can get really juicy tones at levels you can use in a New York City apartment (of course this thing sounds just amazing at 8W though and records terrifically in that format as well).

You can cop clips of my Mercury in action in a real band mix here: www.arizonatheband.com - tracks 2 through 5 are all Mercury, mic'd with a Soundelux iFet-7 microphone. The Mercury is on the lowest watt setting, just to give you an idea of how righteous it can get at that level.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

Dr Z Carmen Ghia

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/doctorzamps3.html

[​IMG]

Pierson Tweed Champ and Tweed Deluxe
    http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/tubecellar.html

[​IMG]

Or for agressive rock and blues with the classic 6V6 flair but taken to the next level....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wine tolex amp may resemble a tweed era deluxe but ask anybody that has played it .... it is anything but. This is the amp I asked Pierson to build to my own design. I love this amp and the Carmen Ghia for agressive tones and the cool hard blues or blues rock things. I designed this to compliment the Z Carmen Ghia in the studio and on medium gigs.

18. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

The new Mark Sampson designed Star Nova just smokes the Mini Cat. The Nova's sound great and are not boxy or small sounding. Hit's the sweet spots at low volumes for dirty and the clean tone volumes don't have to be extremely low and tone less to stay clean.

[​IMG]

19. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I'm kind of surprised you can't get good BF Fender tones on the clean channel of the Fuchs with the master up. Maybe play with the EQ some more? Mine does pretty well.

Before you buy another amp for the low vol Marshall tones you may just want to try a pedal like the OCD with the Fuchs. Even a little Pro Jr is going to be pretty loud to get in the zone.

20. myles111

myles111 Member

These things are amazing. Loni Specter (www.ampshow.com) has one and I played it a lot. Really incredible and I would not put them into the "mini amp" category as they are big and full sounding, have an impressive feature set and really cool construction as typical Mark Sampson's amps no matter what the era.

They have a single 6V6 so sound much larger than the single EL84 based amps yet still have the chime of an EL84 based amp.

Lots of gain on tap too if you want it.