Favorite attenuator...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Timmo, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Timmo

Timmo Member

I want to "finally" try an attenuator.
    I could sure use opinions are what some of the favs are around here.
    Hotplate, Ultimate, ....?

Thanks soooo much.......

2. silverface

silverface Member

HI,

my all time fave is the Dr.Z Airbrake!

Best wishes,

silverface.

3. Timmo

Timmo Member

Thanks.......I forgot about Dr. Z's Airbrake..........
    This is the one Ken liked I believe.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Cool.........thanks for opnions.
    I appreciate it.
    The truly "lucky" are the ones that can 'let amps be amps'........

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Personally, I like the Bad Cat Leash the best. I've also owned the Dr. Z air brake and thought it did a good job as well.

6. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I had a hotplate that was pretty good. Nothing special

7. Timmo

Timmo Member

The Badcat Hot Leash........hmm.....that's probably more than I want to spend though I'm sure it's the best of the bunch.
    Aren't they like $500 bucks or something?

Hotplates........either ya like them or you don't seems to be the vibe I'm getting.
    Guys seem to like them with higher powered amps but in the 50 watt range not so much.
    Would I be right in saying so?

8. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Allan Holdsworths' Harness II

Digby

9. photios

photios Member

I had the Weber Mass, THD Hotplate, DR. Z Airbrake and the Ultimate Attenuator...I dont use an attenuator anymore, but when I did, I ended up selling all of them except the UA...hands down the UA was/is best of those that I'd tried.

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

Another vote for THD Hotplate

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Nope. The Leash is $350 new.

Thats $50 more that a Hotplate and $20 more than a Airbrake.

Money well spent in my IMO.

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I had a UA, Weber Mass, Weber Dump, Alessandro, THD and a Richter all at the same time the Richter beat them all, the UA was close. I sold all of them save the Richter. A few months ago I bought a Leash took me five minutes to find it wasn't even in the ball park with the Richter it got buzzy and fizzy at way to high a volume to do me any good. From memory I would say the UA sounds more transparent than the Leash. Only the Richter really sounds natural and transparent at reasonable volumes.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

I had the Weber MASS, The Sholtz Power Soak and the Hot Plate. It has been about 30 years since I had the Power soak and I don't remember it very well but it didn't Make my 1965 Fender Twin Reverb sound like a Marshall like the salesman told me it would. I bought the MASS and Hot Plate for using it with a variety of amps from 5 watt Supros to a 50 Watt 1983 Marshall JCM 800, trying to find a way to play at what I would describe as loud TV levels to a little more that average TV levels. I think that either attenuator would be fine at lowish gig levels but neither sounded good at the levels I needed. I resigned myself to thinking that the only solutions were to wait for some one to come out with a really good amp with about 5 to 10 watts and a really well designed master or to have an amp this size with Power Scaling. There weren't too many choices like that 3 to 4 years ago when I was doing most of my looking and there still aren't many today. Of all things, I ended up with an Ampeg Vl 502 with a built in attenuator that I feel strongly, works better than the others I have tried. Now I can have very good and authentic distortion at very low levels. I do have to re-EQ it to adjust for attenuation to get the best sounds but I use it almost always in attenuator mode anyway and in attenuator mode it can still be loud. If I want to go seriously loud, I turn off the attenuator and this 50 watt amp is easily as loud as the 50 watt Marshall. That makes the amp incredibly versatile and it has amazing tones regardless of having an attenuator or not. There is also the 100 watt VL 1002 version for big gigs and outdoors, also with an attenuator. I know this seems like a very unlikely choice. I wouldn't have thought it would work this well either but it does.

14. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Doyle Bramhall used the Ultimate Attenuator with clapton in 06 .. that should say something.

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

There is attenuation and then there is attenuation. It is one thing to go form very loud to just not as loud that doesn't require much attenuation and I think there are several very good attenuators for that. To go from cranking up just about any amp form about 5 watts to 100 watts, in my experience to conversational or loudish TV levels requires a lot of attenuation and that is where all the attenuators I have heard loose it. From what I have read the Ultimate Attenuator might be the exception. I did get to hear an Alessandro Attenuator for a few minutes and it seemed very good but I would really have to play with it to know for sure.

16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

For those that have tried the weber mass, how far was it away from the best attenuators? I really like the impedance selector switch, since I have amps/cabs that range from 4ohm -16ohm loads. I am only planning on using it to take the edge off.

I had a Dr. Z airbrake which I liked, but I found I didn't use it much. However I think with my current stable of more non-MV amps that would change at this point....

17. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I've owned the Z Airbrake, the Ultimate and the Hotplate. They all had pros and cons but for me I wanted something that could do low bedroom volumes so I could crank and brown out my amp. The Airbrake was way to loud even at its lowest setting but it did seem the most transparent of all. The Ultimate though was able to get low volume it made some funky sounding noise like the sound was coming through the transformer and despite what the builder says it does change the way the amp feels and sounds. Not in a negative way but it didn't seem transparent to me. The Hotplate seemed to be my favorite and the EQ switches help greatly at low volumes. Its small, built like a tank, doesn't run too hot, has some nice features and best of all its the cheapest on the used market.

18. soldano16

soldano16 Member

One of the two reasons I bought one, the other being Peter Stroud.

19. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

The two that I like best haven't been mentioned: Palmer ADIG and Koch Loadbox. Both feature speaker emulators on their direct-out lines, so in addition to taming your amp while running it through the cab, you can silently record an amp running at full volume. I've gotten stellar sounds from both. I currently have the Koch, found new on eBay for $225. The Hotplate is way too noisy for me.

20. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

My Hotplate works well for what I use it for, letting my play my cranked NMV Vox at home. It does suck tone however, it doesnt compare to actually cranking it and letting it be, but for the purpose it does it pretty well.