Favorite bass head

MusicGearGuys

Dont get me wrong, I like Eden's tone.

I had problems before US Music Corp bought them out.

David's ex or wife handeled orders & the PR side and was just not on top of the game to be polite.

David himself is a great guy.

Gregory

JWR

A '78 Hiwatt DR103. I do not get on with it for guitar, but it is a stellar bass amp.

Gravity

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the G-K 800RB. I had it's little brother, the 400RB and it was a KILLER little amp. I dug the tone of the G-K amps.... The cabs however.... Not so much...

I love tubes and I love the SVT, but for me, $200-$400 to retube an amp is getting a little steep.

For my money I stick to hybrid amps for my bass rig. I dug my 400RB, I like the Eden heads, and I'm currently using a Yorkville XS400 head that I'm REALLY digging. 400W into 4 ohms, and one of the few amps that I plug into, tweak the 'contour' knob on and play, with little or no other tweaking... Oh except it's killer built in opto comp. I thought "Only a threshold control?" I was mistaken... Killer sounding onboard comp.. I actually stopped using my external DBX unit.

I love most Ampeg gear (my cabs are all Ampeg), and the B series heads are pretty good. Played a B-4R the other day into a Mesa 6x10... Seriously rocked.

I still dig SS bass amps for the tighter response and finger definition. I like a huge damping factor.

MightyGuru

The bassist is one of my bands plays an ancient Sunn Coliseum (sp) 200 watt SS head that absolutely kills. He got it for so cheap it's sick. The things sounds great. I read that Chris Squire used to use these.

Spentmusic

For rock bass my number one old sound is the Ampeg V4B!!! Second is the HiWatt DR201

I went from 2 - V4's 2 4 - 1 x 15 cabinets (not ampeg) to two SVT's and the 8 x 10 cabinet's. For me wish I had kept the early 70's V4B's.

Last bass amp was a DR201 using 6 -EL34's. Great sound for 70's style rock n roll. A bit more edge then the Kt88 version of the DR201.

Now using DST Engineering (our company !!! so very bias)
U88B - in 2 x KT88 or 4 x Kt88 and now trying out a new test head using 4 EL34's getting 165 watts RMS!!!

Dynamic range, headroom, punch, clarity and the ability to easily reproduce a low 32 hz note!!!

Jeff Swanson
DST Engineering
www.dst-engineering.com
www.swansoncabinets.com
978 578 0532

fatback

Another vote for the Boogie 400+. More versatile than an SVT and can stop a charging Rhino at 40 yards.:eek:

It's my first choice for pick-style rock bass.

For clean and subtle finger-style bass, an Aguilar tube head is hard to beat.

Aguilar also makes some of the nicest bass cabs around. For tone vs. size, they are hard to beat. I love my 1x12.

ABKB

Originally posted by MightyGuru
The bassist is one of my bands plays an ancient Sunn Coliseum (sp) 200 watt SS head that absolutely kills. He got it for so cheap it's sick. The things sounds great. I read that Chris Squire used to use these.
+1 on the Sunn, I played one once, was great but the treble was a bit too much for me. I think Squire used Sunn in the early days, then went to Ampeg, but has been using Marshall for many years now. Squire is the #1 bass player in my book.
:dude

MightyGuru

Originally posted by ABKB
+1 on the Sunn, I played one once, was great but the treble was a bit too much for me. I think Squire used Sunn in the early days, then went to Ampeg, but has been using Marshall for many years now. Squire is the #1 bass player in my book.
Yep. It is capable of a lot of top end. Through the SWT Henry the 8 it does rock loud and clear.

Spentmusic

Chris Squire is a great player. Loved his sound and approach to the bass. Not for everyone but the YES are one of my all time favorite bands!!

He did play through a pair of Dual Showman Reverbs for a while using 2 x 15 cabinets loaded with JBL's. Never saw him using Sunn but that doesn't really mean anything.

From the 74 tour on I remember him with his Ampegs and Marshalls up to and including the last time I watched them live a couple years ago.

Jeff Swanson
DST Engineering
www.dst-engineering.com
www.swansoncabinets.com
978 578 0532

Favorite...

I love the sound of a SS amp loudly going through 15's.

Currently I'm using a SWR 2x15 cab and an SWR SM-900.

I also have two of the old Seymour Duncan 300x300w heads.

I've had reliability problems with the SM-900, but it does deliver a big, rich sound. Not as "round" as a SVT or 400+, but it does have more 'immediacy' to it.

avenerjimmie

+1 for the V4-B. My bass player plays my rig, and it's a V4-B through an Ampeg 2x10 and an Ampeg 4x10. Not stadium volume on its own, but it has a direct out and can be mic'd. It is extremely warm, and because of its lower volume it gets an amazing grind at show volume.

On a cheaper used note, I did also really like the GK 400RB. Not much like the V4-B, but for smoother, punchy bass (as opposed to grindy rocky bass), I liked it.

myles111

Originally posted by MusicGearGuys
Whats your favorite bass head?

Gregory

The Ampeg SVT was always my favorite but that changed. Now it's these:

Frankly, this is the best base amp ever made by anybody from my limited point of view. Having output tubes that last a few decades is pretty cool too.

or for solid state these:

or for a integrated rig these:

RickC

Originally posted by ABKB
For about a year, I gigged a '69 Marshall 50w metal panel head (with NOS Mullards) through a 1x15", for bass. In a fusion band. It was a great tone up until halfway on the volume control (which fortunately was just enough for the gig), but after that the distortion came in quick. I did love that Marshall sound for bass.

/rick

Trending Topics