• Gaucho

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Two Against Nature

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything Must Go

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

plinker

It was a very hard decision between Gaucho and Aja, but I went with Gaucho. "Time Out Of Mind" is my favorite Dan song, with "Babylon Sisters" close to the top, as well. Toss in "Hey Nineteen", and I had to go with it.

DustyRhodesJr

Supporting Member
It was a very hard decision between Gaucho and Aja, but I went with Gaucho. "Time Out Of Mind" is my favorite Dan song, with "Babylon Sisters" close to the top, as well. Toss in "Hey Nineteen", and I had to go with it.

Hey Nineteen is one of their best songs.

Can't believe 'Countdown' didn't get more votes. Ripping guitar and great songwriting. Cohesive, just a great album throughout. Bodihsattva anyone?
Maybe there are fewer who know the “Bodhisattva” Dias solo than I thought...

Have owned several other recorded cover versions of that song with other guitarists - and none of them get anywhere near what Denny played. Just a spectacular example of phrasing and one of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

He’s all over the place.
Try playing what he did nfn. You might dig it.

Claytone

As a deep fan of everything they've done, I too would select the "Citizen" CD set, and always surf among the four discs, hitting early "Brooklyn" and "Only A Fool" and then shifting gears into the later L.A. influenced stuff. All of it a masters degree in harmony, acid wit, and groove.

Bhobb

Can't believe 'Countdown' didn't get more votes. Ripping guitar and great songwriting. Cohesive, just a great album throughout. Bodihsattva anyone?
"The shine of your Japan, the sparkle of your china"

peter_heijnen

I don't want to pick a favorite, but The Royal Scam has been in our car's CD player continuously for almost 3 years now. That is including four 1750km drives during vacations with the album playing all the time, over and over again. And the funniest thing is, every time when Caves Of Altamira has finished i want to hit the repeat button, but i can only do so if the girlfriend isn't in the car. Sometimes i ask my girlfriend if she doesn't get fed up with it, but then she answers that The Steely Dan never gets boring. I hope she's referring to the band.

Average Joe

Probably Royal Scam. As much as I love the four that came after,RS still have a bit of a rock feel and I think it becomes the music.

Katy Lied is imho the most overlooked of their albums. Wall to wall good songs, and remarkable playing.

For some reason I've never warmed much to Pretzel Logic. imho there's a bit of filler on that one

philiprst

Supporting Member
It's difficult to pick one and while I agree with Can Buy A Thrill and Aja I also wanted to put in a mention for Gaucho.

burningyen

Gaucho is it for me.
The gem-like quality of the production.
Their funniest, creepiest and most poignant lyrics.
The Purdie shuffle on Babylon Sisters.
Becker's licks and McCracken's comping on Hey Nineteen.
Carlton's solo (sometimes my favorite of all time) on Third World Man.

Average Joe

Gaucho is it for me.
The gem-like quality of the production.
Their funniest, creepiest and most poignant lyrics.
The Purdie shuffle on Babylon Sisters.
Becker's licks and McCracken's comping on Hey Nineteen.
Carlton's solo (sometimes my favorite of all time) on Third World Man.
The lyrics on gaucho are some of their strongest, and the record is overlooked.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I voted Aja, but Royal Scam is the best guitar solo disc they did, and "Sign in Stranger" is my favorite song from them..

Trending Topics