Votes: 70 37.0%
  • Gaucho

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Two Against Nature

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everything Must Go

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
I wouldn't want to try to remember exactly who played on what track, considering they went through studio musicians like water on that slab!

Gurn

1. Katie Lied
2. Royal Scam
3. Pretzel Logic/Aja

Melodically & lyrically, I think Katie Lied is the best album they ever made.
East St. Louis Toodle Loo IMO, might be their most amazing recording.

es335td

Survey tracks to my preferences! But, I downloaded the 4CD boxed set on my I-Tunes so I have access to all the first era songs in a row.

And the funniest thing is, every time when Caves Of Altamira has finished i want to hit the repeat button [...]
I saw them in 2003, on the Everything Must Go tour, SB County Bowl. I was thrilled -- and blown away -- when they did that one, maybe third or fourth song in the set? I remember turning to my bud and telling him I never thought I'd hear them doing that live. It's been a favorite since I first heard it in the late 80s.

Holy crap, they made it groove, even tighter than on the record.

Jon Harrington is a monster player. Good lord.

Yes, he's basically a jazz player with a rock tone. Incredible.
I remember reading an interview with Steve Lukather, talking about the early days of Toto, when the Porcaros were doing session work for the Dan. Luke used a phrase that really informs my approach to things, talking about the brothers coming home from sessions to do rehearsals and showing the guys what they'd worked on -- "bebop with a burn" sound.

Denny was a huge part of that. He was certainly the most sophisticated of their early players, to my ears. So much of his stuff is both harmonically rich, and still toothy in tone.

And his solo on "Do It Again" is one for the ages.

DustyRhodesJr

Supporting Member
Just today I read the latest GW issues interview with John 5, he says Steely
Dan is one of his very favorites.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I didn’t realize all the solos being credited here to Denny weren’t Skunk. My parents love SD, so I have a soft spot for them and I’m very familiar with most of the catalog. I can probably hum most of the solos, but playing them? Forget it! :)

Tim Bowen

Agreed, Aja is a close 2nd but Can't Buy a Thrill got me hooked at a YOUNG age
By that point I had joined the Record Club of America and was thusly empowered. I lived in a small town and word of mouth only went so far, so I was ordering new records based on album cover art that I dug. I chose Can't Buy a Thrill based on the cover art. The first time I ever heard Steely Dan was when the needle dropped on that first record, about two minutes after the postman delivered it. Other records that I chose for the cover art without having first heard the respective artist would include Uriah Heep Demons and Wizards and Yes Close to the Edge.

I chose Can't Buy a Thrill based on the cover art. The first time I ever heard Steely Dan was when the needle dropped on that first record, about two minutes after the postman delivered it. Other records that I chose for the cover art without having first heard the respective artist would include Uriah Heep Demons and Wizards and Yes Close to the Edge.
Weird.
I never got into that album because of the non-Fagen vocals.

Huge fan of Dean's cover for CTTE.
As you might guess.
:aok

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
:hide My favorite is whichever album a rabid Dan fan will resist the urge to foist upon me when they find out I don’t care for Steely Dan. “But you just haven’t heard...you just don’t get...their genius is undeniable...I can’t believe...I thought you had good taste...etc.” Nope. Enjoy Steely Dan. Don’t try to make me try to enjoy them. Happens all the time.

Trending Topics