Favorite/Best Steely Dan Album?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Jun 11, 2019.

Favorite/Best Steely Dan Album?

1. Cant Buy A Thrill

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Countdown To Ecstasy

15 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Pretzel Logic

15 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Katy Lied

18 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. The Royal Scam

45 vote(s)
    23.8%
  6. Aja

70 vote(s)
    37.0%
  7. Gaucho

13 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. Two Against Nature

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Everything Must Go

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. rjd1guitar

rjd1guitar Member

Kind of like picking your favorite child - but Katy Lied was first album I was introduced to at about age 13, so that’s my pick.

2. MrX

MrX Member

Aja

Why?

Because

Bluedano1 likes this.
  3. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

Such a tough question. I voted Gaucho because of Babylon Sisters. I also love Two Against Nature, Aja and Everything Must Go too though. They're just one of my favourite bands.

I love their live stuff too.

4. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Can't buy a thrill.

5. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Member

Great discussion, SD one of my bands I never get tired listening to. I still do not know how to play any single song of theirs properly, there's always something just a little off I'm missing. The closest one I can get to is Peg. But anyhoo best album imho Royal Scam. Just a perfect album. One last thing, I remember there was a discussion on Reelin in the Years and the guitar tone, that it was raspy/ratty/generally bad; I was there when that song came out and it was that guitar tone and solo that made that song and launched their career. The basic song itself is almost nursery rhyme like, but toss in that over the top guitar and it rocks. Getting off topic so I'll stop.

6. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

For me and my friends, the "problem" we had with Aja was the same problem we had with Fleetwood Mac.
    All of a sudden, Steely Dan had more new fans than they had ever had in the past.
    It certainly does not make the songs "bad" but we knew the creative perfection that had come before. From Aja, we all dug Home At Last. It seemed to have some of the quirkiness of past songwriting brilliance.
    For me and my friends, Aja was when we stopped listening to Steely Dan.
    So, that is my anecdotal evidence of why Royal Scam, Pretzel Logic and the other Pre-Aja records were better albums and represented "The Real Steely Dan"......... :cool:

7. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

My favorite song off Aja is "Josie".

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

I voted Katy Lied. To me the pinnacle is pretzel<->Aja.

But yeah, it's an embarrassment of riches. It's almost like their perfectionism invites ocd on the part of their fans. For example, the Michael McDonald "Mehhg" and his other harmony vocals that stick out, are distracting to my enjoyment of the Aja album. Yet that album is amazing, esp the title track. Who am I to criticize...? I studied these albums in high school, they helped me discover jazz.

9. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Again, I'm a bass player who plays AT everything else. But after I got out of the Navy and was getting back to playing, I managed to take some lessons from one of my musical idols. I mentioned that the hardest bass part I'd ever played off of sheet music in my high school jazz band was Kid Charlemagne. And Chuck Rainey replied "I think they kept my second take on that one."

That definitely put me in my place.

burningyen and GuitarsFromMars like this.
  10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The first five or so didn't require any thought to getting the money to buy the records. What a great band regardless of song, lyrical content, or quality of recording. Although I played a lot of Eagles as a young man gigging, I was listening to all of the Dan's advanced noodling/voicings on my own time. I will never say just one is a favorite. I like several, just depends on what kind of day it is. YMMV.

11. pats

pats Supporting Member

Hard to pick just one. I like all of them!

12. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Can't Buy a Thrill has the greatest number of songs on it that I really love, and Reeling... isn't one of them. Probably overplayed on the radio.

As amazing as Carlton is on Scam, I prefer the earlier albums with Skunk and Dias. Their rawness really rocked SD IMO. Things got a bit too smooth for me after Scam; though Aja is still a brilliant album.

13. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I'm surprised Luke never recorded anything with them in the 70s and 80s.

14. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Was that signs of some kind of antipathy between DF&WB and Luke? Or did it just never happen for some reason?

15. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'm not sure how deep in the 70s Luke's session career goes, but maybe by the 80s he'd focused on the rock sessions enough but the band's sound had gone more towards the smooth? Just a guess, nothing more.

16. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Around the time of Gaucho and Aja, Luke was very entrenched in the studio scene, and he played on Boz Scaggs, Diana Ross, Streisand, etc..

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I didn't know that, thanks. I'd always assumed between Toto and Thriller that his forte was more along the rock lines. Anyone know if they called him at all and his take didn't make the cut, or if they simply never called him?

18. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

I never really dove deep on their albums, but have a lot of their songs that I love which, collectively, have made them my favourite band , over bands whose albums I own and know. :)

19. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

"Aja" then "Royal Scam". It's all so damn good, though.