• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Favorite boutique pickup maker?

dmarkj22

I'm coming close to picking up a set of Kleins for my Strat but I was wondering what are some other good hand wound pickup makers that you guys would recommend?

Frostbite Slim

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on this, but in my opinion Angeltone pickups are my all time favorite "boutique" strat pickups.

After many years of searching for the "Tone in my head", when I found Angeltones I never looked back.

Deathmonkey

I don't have just one. Probably my 2 current favorites are Wolfetone and Smits Pickups. I have a bunch of stuff from those 2 guys, from vintagey to modern ceramic, and they all sound great. Both fellas are very nice, knowledgeable, and helpful. If they can put up with my rambling ass, they can help anyone.

But I've gotten killer pickups from Motor City Pickups, Suhr, Anderson, Van Zandt, Rio Grande, WCR, and Fralin, as well as good stuff from Duncan and Gibson.

A lot of the TGP darlings are too vintage-y for my tastes, but other people sound great with them. :aok

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Harmonic Design probably is my favorite, and though it's still in the "honeymoon" stage my new Super 90 Strat bridge pickup may be my favorite of all of them. I also like Don Mare, Lollar, and Fralin. Come to think of it, those are about the only one's I've ever owned, and I've never been disappointed, so maybe they're all good.

On second thought, I did buy a Barden tele neck pickup that I didn't really like, but I still thinks it's a fine product.

K-Line

Vendor
Lollar Dirty Blondes, Klein K-Line Custom A5 winds, Suhr........there are oo many to list!

d.rhoads

I'm certainly not extremely well-versed in pickups, at least as much as many people on TGP. But my answer is easily Ron Ellis.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
Klein makes great pickups. I have used a set of S-1s and loved them.
Also great luck with Don Mare, Harmonic Design and Joe Barden.
Don't overlook the Bill Lawrence "Wilde" L-45 either...
I have had a great experience with Zhangbucker with humbuckers also.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Zhangbucker, WCR,Wolfetone. All great pickups

Trending Topics

Top Bottom