Favorite budget studio compressor?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TravisE, Dec 4, 2018.

1. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

The Pro VLA II and 160XT are fine units I've picked up used for under $200. In 500 land, the 560As were $100 each on sale, less colorful than an XT but still smacky, and the CAPI FC526 is a really good FET kit, unassembled for $350ish.
    I've got a new Klark-Teknik KT-2A coming this week that was about the same price as the CAPI kit, as well as a 76-KT on order that was under $200. The reports are good so far on the K-T comps, I've been happily using the EQP-KT for over a year.

2. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

hold my beer.

TravisE likes this.
  3. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I would look for a used Warm Audio 1176 on Reverb. You can also build an 1176 (blue stripe ) from Hairball Audio

4. guff

guff Member

Stam Audio has one {1176LN-type} on the market which seems better received than the Warm, although both seem to be popular bargains. I only have experience with the UA, which is obv recommended

5. Devnor

Devnor Member

I'm struggling with the same decision about compressor choice for my vocal chain. My preamp is Presonus ADL600. I really want a Purple 1176(friend owns one) but for the same money I could start a 500 series rack with the Purple or the Neve compressor and same some space. Ideally a Portico II fits the bill but they are $3200.

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

FMR RNC is really nice. :p

Golden Age 54 is really nice.

That Art Pro VLA 2 is okay. I read so many good reviews I got one. I like it and kept it is as it is nice for my workflow, (near zero latency monitoring setup) but I can't say I really prefer it to some plugins I have. I prefer it as a limiter really. More of a sound that way.

TravisE likes this.