• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Favorite cheap boost?

So much great cheap gear today! I mean, you can sometimes find used gems for a great price, but the new stuff is not to be underestimated even on a tight budget!

My nominee? Seeing as there's way to many to list, I'm just going to pick an easy one that has been serving me well for almost 4 years already. It's my TC Electronic Spark Booster, imho one of the best "transparent" boost/drive pedals out there!

It's quicker to show than tell, so here it is with my 50's strat in both a clean and distorted Orange amp:

But is it cheap? If cheap means under 50 bucks, then it sure wasn't when I bought it at the beginning of 2016 for 105$ new. But I just went on Thomann and I see them going for 39$ new! Damn, how things have changed :eek:! Maybe TC changed their Spark? Maybe it's just one store? I've seen them elsewhere in the US asking 126$ new. Well, I guess it's under 50 now!

So, with this wild and plentiful gear market being what it is (thank you market!), what is your favorite cheap/affordable/inexpensive boost for pushing your front end over the edge? Let's hear them!

phazersonstun

My favorite cheap boost is a mono price EQ pedal. Low, high & volume.
You can make mids more prominent by turning the low & high down some & cranking up the volume.

Not sure if they are still on the site but I’ve seen other rebrands of the same pedal. Paid like $20. Worked well enough for me to have bought a 2nd one.

JJO

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Chicago Stompworks Super Hard On clone that sounds really good.

Boss SD-1, BD-2 or a good old fashioned TS-9 works just fine - but I'm currently digging the Boss stuff, especially into a dirty Marshall. All can be had for about $50 each.
Damn good the whole lot of them! And the SD-1 can be had for 50$ even new! By the way, how do you set yours with the Marshall?

My favorite cheap boost is a mono price EQ pedal. Low, high & volume.
You can make mids more prominent by turning the low & high down some & cranking up the volume.

Not sure if they are still on the site but I’ve seen other rebrands of the same pedal. Paid like $20. Worked well enough for me to have bought a 2nd one.
And in brushed metal casing no less! Has it got a lot of volume on tap though?

Soul Food
I guess it fits in the "relatively inexpensive" category:D! Still an awesome pedal indeed!

Mosky Golden/Silver Horse
Seems like everyone's talking about these! From demos it looks to have less volume on tap than most klones, but for the price, it's pretty incredible!

I have a Chicago Stompworks Super Hard On clone that sounds really good.
Will definitely check these guys out!

Old TS-5 sound tank.
Heard a lot of good about those! But how's the casing and everything holding up?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the Spark (full-size). I've had any clean boosts over the years, and it is by far my favorite (even if the company no longer is).

TC Spark Mini is great and available for a real good price! Always one of my favs.
I like the switch on the mini version a lot!

+1 on the Spark (full-size). I've had any clean boosts over the years, and it is by far my favorite (even if the company no longer is).
I'm just wondering if the newer made Sparks are the same as the old ones, and what could be the reason for the price drop? Agreed about the Spark, great clean boost indeed! :beer

I had both Sparks, the full sized and mini on my board at one point, the full sized at the beginning to add another gain stage to my dirt pedals, then the mini at the end for a pure volume boost.
Now I just run the mini for solos at the end of the chain as I've tried to simplify A LOT about my board, but both are exceptional. Dollar for dollar or value vs. price, I always say that the Spark mini is one of the best pedals out there.

Trending Topics