favorite chorus pedal you have or wished you still had?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am thinking about a chorus pedal to my collection. I know the Analogman BI chorus is pretty popular right now. I have read a lot about the vintage EH small clone. Not sure which type chorusing I want or need. I have read that the EH chorus get it's sound from actual delays in the sound. While most other choruses pedal simulate other ways ( I actually forget at the moment). Regardless both can be cool. I wonder which would record better or sound better live? CAn one chorus do it all IYO?

2. jimihalen

jimihalen Active Member

I'm a big fan of my old Arion SCH-1. It definitely suprised me when I was able to dial in a slow, pseudo Leslie throb as well as a fast underwater warble (think The Beatles' 'Octopus' Garden'). It's a little noisy at higher tone settings, but I'll work that out if and when I rehouse it in a more sturdy enclosure.

The Small Clone is very lush and thick, I recommend it for all purpose choralizing.

3. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Retro-Sonic Chorus Ensemble. Amazing CE-1 clone. Very, very few pedals make a sound that's "beautiful" and inspiring. This one does.

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I had an ADA STD1 back in my rack days. Great sounding chorus flange. I never did realize its full potential because it was such a deep unit. I shouldn't have sold that one. Right now I have a CE2 with a vintage Arion on the way. Both are sweet.

Bob

5. trucks

trucks Member

I just built a BYOC chorus. It has rate, depth, 4-way width, speed boost and vibrato. Sounds great and very tweakable.

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Absolutely! Go to Bossus.com and check out the Boss CE-20 - listen to the sound samples. This pedal has 6 different chorus types, including the famous Dimension D (with all settings) and the legendary CE-1. You can have 4 presets and 1 manual. There are tone controls and a switch for line level signals. No other chorus comes close to the versatility and sonic quality - especially in stereo - breath taking. You can get them for around $100+/- on eBay in great condition.

7. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

i stupidly got rid of my Analogman Clone Clone (mono) a couple years ago...i really like a chorus that is subtle but lush if that makes any sense, and, the Analogman did it wonderfully...it could thicken up lead tones without being all swirly and for clean chords, it just made them juicy without any notchy artifacts on top...damn! now i have to get another one!:rolleyes:

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

Boss Dimension Choruses (DC-2, DC-3)

9. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I do miss all the sounds that could come out of the Red Witch Medusa.
    I'm really digging the versatility of my ChoralFlange, though.

10. Sunburst71

Sunburst71 Silver Supporting Member

I have an analog Ibanez RC-99 in the effects loop of my Boogie Caliber 50+. I think it's phenomenal - adds real body and just the right amount of swirl to the clean sound.

11. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

LOVING my ChoralFlange!! I bought an old model from here, had a few issues with it. Based on my friends input, I emailed Fulltone with some questions. Micheal responded quickly, I took it in and they updated it to current spec. Used it this morning at church for a few hours through a Budda SD18 and never turned it off! It's a great pedal.

12. justicetones

justicetones Member

Charlie did sound good this morning. I was there :angel

I loved my Choralflange but sold it for the Analogman Bi-Chorus. Maily due to pedalboard real estate as I use both a slow chorus and a leslie setting and this way I could do it with one pedal and still be all analog. :D

13. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ive been using a TKI lazeman analog chorus for a few months and its just awesome! there a bit tough to find though....

14. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

The Boss CE-2 is "the " chorus pedal to use for me. I'm going to have the Keeley Hi-Fi mod done to it soon when I get my High Cut modded DD-2 digital delay back from Analog Man.

Guitar George

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not sure what that "artificial" method is you mentioned. I thought all choruses, and for that matter flangers were essentially delay (very short delays usually) units that had one or both signals go through phase shift, or detuning, or other permutations.

The funny thing is, even just sticking with "chorus pedals" it seems to me that there are such huge differences in sounds some produce, that is almost ought to be called something else...how could two or more pedals that sound SO different be the same pedal? Not even talking about the tonal quality or other technical issues, just the sound they produce.

That said, I have tried a few, not that many, but settled on a Visual Sound H2O that is a chorus on one side and delay/echo on the other (not sure if it is delay or echo, I believe it is echo). The two are in one box, which is wider than normal, but still less wide (i.e. doesn't take up as much pedalboard space) as two Boss-sized pedals so it evens out.

Just focusing on the Chorus of it, it has three knobs only, speed, width (of the chorus LFO) and depth. With these three I can get a huge variety of sounds. I believe it is analogue, and it definitely is more "up front" sounding that other choruses I've tried. Sometimes digitally sounding choruses make the guitar sound like it is being played from inside a shoe-box or something. You lose it in the mix and it sounds too artificial. Mostly the H2O's chorus is right THERE...you CAN get it to sound too chorusy but it ain't easy...just max it all. The other thing, the echo is really nice, I use it a lot and I like it about the same, for different reasons as my Digitech DE-7, but again, two-pedals-in-one. Which means I only have to power the one input instead of two.

Just thought I'd mention...

16. onemind

onemind Member

LN...do you think these pedals are far enough apart to justify having them both on the board at the same time? I usually set my Medusa for more of a vibey sound.

17. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

If you can deal with the crappy bypass the danelectro cool cats (18v versions) are very nice, quite subtle but give a very mellow tone overall. Maybe not your thing but I really like it. In saying that I've just bought an Analogman mini chorus and am waiting on that.

18. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have the AnalogMan Chorus it's just a fat sounding chorus and does the best faux leslie tone, maybe someday I would like to try the Fulltone Choral Flange.

19. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

My favorite is the Ibanez Bi-mode chorus. Which you can combine the 2 together & get some interesting sounds...

20. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'm still gutted I sold my Boss CE-2 a few years ago for something like 50 euros. I didn't use it then but now I'd really fancy that sound...