Favorite "companies" that do effect pedal mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peacebone, Apr 26, 2008.

1. peacebone

peacebone Member

I've done multiple google searches on this subject, and several of my favorite people, such as JHSmods and Humphrey Audio, are usually missing from the search results or they don't show up until 2 dozen pages in. And I put "companies" in quotes because a lot of the time, it can be a single person, or handful of people that are doing mods.

So what are some of your favorite mods and who are the people that do them?

P.S: I'm guessing this thread has been done before, but I didn't catch it in a search.

2. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Mike @ Analogman, R. Keeley, and Indyguitarist.

3. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

the one and only Monte Allums

4. drolling

drolling Member

I never saw the point of modding, especially considering how much *booteek* gear's available these days - but, I had an old BOSS EQ lying around that was pretty much useless (high noise floor, distortion, etc.).

Read some stuff here about ToneJam, specifically the GE-7 "sniper" mod, so I sent off my $25. TJ offers two versions of the kit, for both discontinued MiJ & current MiT models.

Turned out I had a *transition* pedal; an MiJ PCB inside an enclosure labeled MiT:confused:, so Dan quickly responded with new instructions/diagram via email.:dude

This mod is really worth doing - turns a cheap effect into a truly useful tool.

***EDIT*** Hey - just remembered Dave Fox' wah booster kit (FoxRox fuzz-friendly-technology). This is absolutely essential if you like your wah in front of vintage style fuzzes..

I'll be following this thread, as I have a bunch of old pedals in the bottom of a rack drawer that could come out of retirement if they were fixed up a bit..

5. ?&!

?&! Member

I bought the Indyguitarist book from Brian Wampler, and it's been a blast modding old warhorse Boss pedals myself. It's pretty amazing what kind of tones you can get with just a few changes.

6. peacebone

peacebone Member

I wish I knew the first thing about soldering. I probably would walk into my garage with a handful of pedals, and never come out. But until I get my hands on solder guru and an iron, I have to rely on other people to do it for me.

7. peacebone

peacebone Member

So Keeley, Analogman, Indyguitarist, Allums are pretty much the big names that I see everywhere. Any love for the little guys?

8. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

If everyone knew about them, they wouldn't be little guys. Teese, Cusack, Vex were all small once. You get your name out by making great stuff.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Check out Vodka mods, their clips sound pretty good.

Dont forget CMATMODS (& the Monte Allums Connection?)

10. fazen

fazen Member

11. dosmun

dosmun Member

I doubt if there are any "companies" doing mods. Most if not all modders are 1 man or small operations. I guess it all depends on your definition of "company"

12. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

13. ?&!

?&! Member

I had never soldered in my life when I got the Indyguitarist book. I read it, watched a couple of soldering tutorials on YouTube, and off I went. It's pretty easy with just a little practice, and there is TONS of support out there for modding your own stuff, or building pedals from scratch (which is what I'm attempting now). Check out www.beavisaudio.com for some inspiration. This guy makes CRAZY stuff, and he didn't know the first thing about electronics 2 years ago. Good luck!!!

14. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I have an Aramat-modded DS-1 that I like and which compared favorably with a Keeley-modded one I A/Bed it against. They were a little different, but each was good in its own way.

A friend of mine got into modding pedals and was doing them for me and some friends for pretty cheap. So far he's done my Bluesdriver, Tubescreamer (TS-5), Dual Overdrive, Turbo Distortion, Tremolo and Crybaby. Several friends of mine who've heard his Bluesdriver, Boss OD-1 and Crybaby mods have commissioned him to do the same mods for them.

[edit: I'd intended to say I like his mods as well as any other I've heard.]

-Scott

15. peacebone

peacebone Member

Thanks for sharing, guys. I'm going to investigate these mods.

Does anybody else have any specific modded effects that they love? For example, I couldn't live without my Analogman Silver TS9 and I have one of Mark Humphrey's Atom Smasher CS-3s on the way!

16. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

The modded Bluesdriver I mentioned has become a go-to pedal for me, over some other boutique pedals I have. I've loaned it to friends who liked it so much they had to get their own. Not bad for the $60 total I have invested in it.

-Scott

17. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

That's what I thought too before I bought Brian's book, but included in the book are soldering instructions and guides. Like mentioned before, youTube has vids too. Seriously, soldering is a whole lot easier/simpler than you may think!

Brian's Mods book has led me to his building effects and advanced effects books, and now I'm hooked into the DIY scene.
    :dude for brian wampler!

18. peacebone

peacebone Member

I'm definitely going to look into this! I'm not a total dumbass so there may be hope for me! :crazy

19. peacebone

peacebone Member

20. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member