Favorite D-style Circuit/Voicing For Single Coil Lead Tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, Mar 21, 2015.

1. MHG

MHG Member

Which circuit/voicings do you feel provide the best lead tones with single coils? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. aflynt

aflynt Member

"Best" is pretty subjective and the choice of parts and layout can take the same voicing in different directions. Different builders and even just different amps can make the same circuit sound very different since there are so many factors that affect how things sound.

All that said, my personal favorite at the moment for single coils is a low-plate Skyliner with variable HF taper and integrated loop. To me, it's more analogous to a "tenor" voicing where the low end doesn't muddy up the non-bridge pickup positions and the Skyliner tonestack still has that distinctive tailored, easy-to-dial EQ curve. A straight up #102 high plate Skyliner is more of a grunty, growly "baritone" voicing that can get a bit congested on the in-between positions and coats the notes in a thick glaze.

-Aaron

3. MHG

MHG Member

Thanks so much for the response. Any other opinions out there?

4. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

I've always loved the Fuchs ODS with single coils. Other D-styles have come and gone, but that amp stays.

5. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

OP, what kind of lead tone are you looking for? Something aggressive or that classic fusion D-tone? When I commissioned Welagen to build my perfect amp a lot of discussion took place before deciding on a particular voicing. I personally wanted an amp that was friendly to all of my guitars...single coil and HB alike. I can tell you, I like what EL34s bring out of a Dumble circuit. Funny part was that I went into the process thinking "6L6s w/ Classic circuit" and Jelle went with an EL34 Skyliner based on our talks. My best advice is to team up with a reputable builder that can truly build you a custom amp voiced for your particular tastes. That's what the Mr. Dumble does (did?) for his clients and is the reason for the legend that surrounds his amps.

6. MHG

MHG Member

Thanks so much for the response. I've heard great things about EL34's in D-style amps as well.......though I haven't played one. It's always so hard to describe the tone we're looking for. I play a mix of Country, Funk, Blues, Rock, Fusion. I definitely want the tone to be organic sounding. I don't want the overdrive to be too compressed. Looking for an open and airy lead tone. I also want good definition/articulation in the lower strings without loosing the sweet, juicy, slight breakup, tones that I love about D-style amps. I basically want the lower strings to behave more like the GBE strings when dialing in lead tones. A lot of D-style amps seem to get a bit mushy/fuzzy in the lower strings.

7. sleewell

sleewell Member