Favorite D-Style Pedal

Heady Jam Fan

So what is everyone's favorite D-Style pedal?

I know there was much hype for the Alpha and I personally think it sounds the best: smoothest, creamiest and very warm and responsive. I thought the hype might have subsided enough to pose this question without having novelty bias respondents.

I have never owned a D-Style, but I am thinking about picking up the Alpha.

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
I have a GasPedals dumbbell that I like alot. The dynamics you can get by using the volume knob on your guitar with this pedal are great. It has a nice warm, saturated, bluesy tone. The only draw back to the dumbbell is it doesnt stack well with other drive pedals, but it works so well on its own that I never have to stack anything on top of it.

overunderdrive

I just received the Alpha drive. What you heard is not hype.

Not only is it hands down the best D-style pedal I've tried--which admittedly is limited to the Zen and GSR--but it might be the best OD pedal I've tried, and I have tried a bunch.

I don't know how they pulled it off, but it sounds and responds like an amp. And unlike any OD pedal I've tried, it actually retains the tone of pedals placed BEFORE it in the chain, which is pretty freaking amazing.

Typically, you want the pedal with the character you prefer to be last, but I've tried a few pedals before the Alpha in order to hit it harder, and it retains the character of pedals placed before it.

Finally, I've been using it into a digital modeling rig (HD500 into 2x Tech 21 PE60s), and it sounds fantastic through every amp model. Takes this rig to a whole 'nother level.

JackStraw12

I've had my sights set on a Wilson Effects Dual Lotus drive for a little while, but the Alpha is the best that I've heard. Only thing that's a bummer is the long wait time.

MarcJ

I've had my sights set on a Wilson Effects Dual Lotus drive for a little while, but the Alpha is the best that I've heard. Only thing that's a bummer is the long wait time.
A few years back I got on the list for a Zendrive, I got the pedal 13 months later. I like the Zen and still have it. I ordered the Alpha a few weeks ago. A 5 to 7 week wait is no big deal and goes by fairly quickly.

I like the Fuchs Plush, and just bought another Zendrive for the second time. And i have to say that the Fulldrive II Mosfet in the Vintage/mosfet mode at 18 volts sounds pretty damn good as well; and to my ears get in the Zen/plush area. but now of course i have to order an Alpha Drive since everyone is giving it the seal of approval!

bettset

alot of cool pedals. i have an ethos. it really shouldn't qualify because it's really a pre-amp. i have had good tones from it :munch

zerocharisma

My favorite would have to be the Providence SOV-2. With the gain knob set at around 9 o'clock you get a really fat, bouncy, juicy Dumble-esque tone. I don't know if any of you guys has heard of Matt Schofield, who is very reminiscent of Robben Ford as far as playing style goes. He has a killer sound (not to mention skills!) and he uses Two Rock amps and an SOV-2.

Mr. Limbic

tried all of the above except the alpha, add the ethos and ac booster...but for the last year and a half its been the tone monk seed of life, just take my word for it, you wont be sorry!

DraggAmps

I don't have my Alpha anymore but it was a pretty good dirt pedal and the best D tone I've heard. The Zen is much different but still fun. The Ethos is a really cool and fun pedal too, but I don't think it's really the greatest dirt pedal. If the Kingsley Jester and/or Minstrel can be included, then they are the best and I would definitely choose them over the Alpha. They don't aim for the D tone but they can be tweaked to have that feel and they can get as close as most of the other so-called D style pedals that really don't nail the tone either, so I think it should be included. The Alpha probably has the most accurate D sound, not that Ive ever played an actual Dumble :)

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
I've only owned two, a Zendrive and the Alpha Drive. Aside from being labeled as a 'Dumble pedal', the Alpha is the best medium gain pedal I've ever played through. It has a good amount of creamy gain, but the notes still manage to come out very defined, and with a good amount of punch and bottom end. As others repeatedly say, very 'amp like' in the feel department. Recently I upgraded my Vibrolux with a couple great speakers, and the Alpha stepped up accordingly. Put it in front of a good amp with good speakers and enjoy.

I agree and I have owned more but the AD is really great. I have also played a bunch of Dumbles and D inspired amps.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Argh! You f**ckers! I purposely stayed out of that Alpha thread, and pretended that it doesn't exist, to keep the GAS down. Now, I have to keep repeating, 'Your Ethos is awesome!' in my head over and over. I look very silly with fingers in my ears, and eyes shut!

I am sticking with the Ethos until I can afford a Two-Rock, or something. That's my final answer, dammit!!!

rhythmrocker

1966 Battle of the Bands
Argh! You f**ckers! I purposely stayed out of that Alpha thread, and pretended that it doesn't exist, to keep the GAS down. Now, I have to keep repeating, 'Your Ethos is awesome!' in my head over and over. I look very silly with fingers in my ears, and eyes shut!

I am sticking with the Ethos until I can afford a Two-Rock, or something. That's my final answer, dammit!!!
LEt me help you as the Devil's Advocate . . . I hear that the Plimsoul cuts through better than the AD . . .check it out.

You want out? Ask a moderator to ban you = no more GAS, at least not on this TGP.

Ask me to help out again.

Thanks, bye.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Nice!!!!!
I really do need to spend less money on this stuff. Hmm...

pinner

Silver Supporting Member
Out of the Zen, Alpha and Gain stage red, I like the Zen best. All sweet pedals though.

Trending Topics