• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite DI for direct rig

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for a small DI to use when I want to run my pedalboard as a direct rig. Tech 21 Liverpool and maybe a Blonde will likely be at the end of the chain. What's everybody like?

ulbe

I was actually wondering the same thing... Think that using something like a pod at the end to send to the board would make sense? I have to admit the thought of having great pedals into a pod makes me cringe. Only using the speaker simulators in it would be my idea

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Palmer PDI-09 its a passive box and very quiet, I only use it for getting my amp to the board but can be used the way you are asking!

cameron

I use a Palmer PDI-09 its a passive box and very quiet, I only use it for getting my amp to the board but can be used the way you are asking!
Yes, this is probably the best option. The fact that it can either be used between amp and cab, or without amp (with line-level or instrument-level signal) makes it a very versatile device.

ulbe

The problem with the Palmer is you have to bring your amp to the gig, and then a rack to hold the palmer.
Although he did not specify, my guess is the original poster is looking for an easier way out, meaning not have to bring your entire rig to a gig, maybe for lack of space on stage, or the pay being to low, etc, etc.
So just the pedal board, and a guitar, and straight to the board...

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
ulbe - pretty close. I do both acoustic and electric stuff and sometimes it's too much to have an amp for just a couple of songs. I also have been experimenting with a stereo setup running one line from the board to the amp and the second direct (sounds odd, works great). And last but not least, there's those "amp crapped out" scenarios. So what I'm looking for is a small (pedal sized) unit that fits on my board with an XLR out. I've been using a Carl Martin Parametric EQ which is a great unit, but I need this for an acoustic pre.

dtfan4ever

Actually, the character series pedals have a speaker sim in them. You don't necessarily need an XLR to run them. I emailed Tech 21 about a year ago when the Character series was coming out and asked them this very question.

Another option would be to track down an old Ibanez Parrot Box. These things were made in the late 80s/early 90s. A completely analog half rack size pedal that incorporates the Rocktron Hush system. Very cool unit. the from there you can run it into pretty much any DI. This option could be expensive as the Parrot Boxes are fairly rare.

danel59

Carl Martin has the Rock Bug which has speaker emulation but the Character series do have speaker emulation so really all you need is a good DI such as the Radial JDI or any other good quality DI box.

I thought the Palmer PDI-09 could be used at line level as well as speaker level. Also Behringer GI100 although a little bigger can be used with or without the speaker emulation and be set for line or pad down for speaker level

I am setting up a direct rig with my Ethos, DD20, RC booster and a DI. I have the Behringer currently, not bad for the price but I want a better quality DI so am looking at the JDI by Radial as I am pretty satisfied with the speaker emulation of my Ethos. I have the Liverpool and British character pedals that I could add in as well if I wanted to for more versatility

Dan

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I agree, the speaker sim in the Character series (or for that matter my Tweedy) is enough. I just want to have my own DI box and not depend on a sound guy to have something (or not). I'll take a serious look at the Radial units - seem to be a quality company. I want to stay away from anything larger than a pedal, but I greatly appreciate the other suggestions.

The Pro DI vs Pro DI2 raises an interesting question. I have two outs on my Quattro - I could run the Character pedals through the Quattro's effects loop and run a left and right through two channels on the board. Hmmm. Anybody know what happens to the speaker sims once they run through a trem and analog delay?

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
I know you said you wanted to avoid amps but a tube amp is really the other half of your instrument. An electric guitar may use a cable that looks like a keyboard patch cable, but it sends a completely different type of signal. I would heavily consider buying an inexpensive small tube amp before dumping coin into DI. I always play small gigs and I love my Blues Jr.

hilikus

I know you said you wanted to avoid amps but a tube amp is really the other half of your instrument. An electric guitar may use a cable that looks like a keyboard patch cable, but it sends a completely different type of signal. I would heavily consider buying an inexpensive small tube amp before dumping coin into DI. I always play small gigs and I love my Blues Jr.
This is actually very good advice, but considering that I sadly have played so many places with such lousy soundmen that either won't mic the amp, make me play the house amp or even worse, just hand me a DI to plug my pedalboard and use my amp as monitor.
A simple/cheap solution that I've been looking at is the Behringer GDI21, it's about 30 bucks and it has a XLR out and ground lift, it's pretty much a clone of the Sansamp GT2, which I think looks a lot more reliable.

Eliguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I actually use a PDI-9 for that exact same purpose whenever having an amp is not an option. I have it at the end of my pedalboard then straight to the board with no amp and I get a pretty good sound live.
No issues or noise. You CAN definitely use the Palmer without an amp.

telepathy

considering that I sadly have played so many places with such lousy soundmen that either won't mic the amp, make me play the house amp or even worse, just hand me a DI to plug my pedalboard and use my amp as monitor.
I make my living as a soundman, and that's three of the worst cardinal sins right there! who are these idiots and who's paying them to be soundmen?

Belmont

the first Sansamp (Classic) was designed for exactly what you're describing. just plug your pedals into it, consider it the amplifier, last in the chain. then plug the Sansamp into a DI, done. I've owned one since they came out in '89, they work great for simulating amps.

hilikus

I make my living as a soundman, and that's three of the worst cardinal sins right there! who are these idiots and who's paying them to be soundmen?
I should have not called them soundmen, now that I think about it, it's probably an insult to the fine people like yourself that know how to work properly with the band, these guys are just ridiculous, I mean what's the point of having a nice guitar amp as a house amp when it's gonna be used as a monitor only? these people give a new meaning to set-and-forget/plug-and-play approach.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
TenneyThe2nd - Not use tube amps? I own two now and have used them for 35+ years. Still my favorite way to get tone, but the reality is that in some settings any amp can be a problem. I'm not looking to replace my tube amps entirely, I'm just after a modular approach to my rig so I can adapt to the setting. To date I use;

guitar > pedal board (or not) > tube amp(s)

guitar > pedal board > tube amp (mic'd with e906)
> acoustic amp (line out to board).
(I know, everybody cringes, but with a little V-Stack
or Character pedal thrown into the line, this can
sound surprisingly good)

guitar > pedal board > tube amp
>PA (much like the acoustic amp approach)

guitar > pedal board > PA

telepathy - we all bash sound guys yet we're all so dependent. My take is that it's like any other musician - some better some worse, some good ears some bad. I've learned a LOT from good sound guys/engineers over the years and on many occasions made to sound better than I deserve, but I've also been completely hosed by idiots. It's the variability that gets tough, so I do whatever I can to reduce the impact.

So at this point I'm considering the PDI-09 bolted into the back of my amp and something similar built into my pedalboard. Or maybe I should just become a sax player...

cameron

The problem with the Palmer is you have to bring your amp to the gig, and then a rack to hold the palmer.
Although he did not specify, my guess is the original poster is looking for an easier way out, meaning not have to bring your entire rig to a gig, maybe for lack of space on stage, or the pay being to low, etc, etc.
So just the pedal board, and a guitar, and straight to the board...
The Palmer PDI-09 is not a rack unit; it's a stomp-box sized gizmo that can be used either between the amp and cab, or direct from a pedal-board.

Lookie here: http://mercenary.com/pdi09figudib.html

Trending Topics