Favorite dirty rock/blues preamp?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by mentoneman, Mar 29, 2020.

1. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I would like to find a preamp that has a great blues rock tone like the following examples:

JmpOne likes this.
  2. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Myasnikov does custom builds, Mike Miller used a Mesa Quad, Paco Casonovas posted schematic for converting Mesa Studio to Dumble...I just use a Fuchs head and put a bunch of racks in the parallel loop...Fuchs chassis are sized for rack mounting as well...

mentoneman likes this.
  3. LPVM

LPVM Member

Not a preamp but I connect a load box to this '47 Masco Tube PA and run the line out to my rack or an interface for something different. It has a very cool '50s tweed vibe to it. I found it on Craigslist locally and sent it to Skip Simmons in Loma Rica CA to do the work because is "the guy" for tube PA conversions. Skip recapped it, made a few value changes to make it guitar friendly and internally linked channels 1 & 2. He made channel one darker and channel 2 brighter with more gain. You bring up channel two for the gain you want then bring up channel one to fill in the bottom. It's super glassy with a ton of bloom with a Strat and an extremely touch sensitive bluesman's delight with a Les Paul.

All loctal tube preamp, 2 x 6L6 power section and a 5U4 rectifier.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Carl_Tone and mentoneman like this.
  4. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Supporting Member

I thought the Rocktron G.A.P. 1 preamp had a great dirty rhythm channel. I kept mine around for years because of it.

burner, mentoneman and iam_krash like this.
  5. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

I have a Hafler T2 that cops pretty cool hot rodded Fender tones, might work for you.

mentoneman likes this.
  6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

thanks for the suggestions fellas! if you have any clips/demos to link like LPVM did that would be great!

i did check out myasnikov but not convinced that is the way to go. i would also entertain something totally off the wall/digital for the spot too although i’m still a hardcore fan of tubes. low/mid gain tones always seem to be the most difficult for me to pinpoint so it would be worth dedicating a single rack space to something that does it well.
    maybe synergy?

i do have a GCX loop switcher so i could drop a pedal in my rig that could hit the front of one of my clean amps/tones. my klamac arc furnace is a great SRV pedal. loved the maxon OD120 too.
    i once had a very oddball korg multifx unit i can’t even remember the name of now that for some reason had a wicked srv blues patch!

some sleepers i’ve liked in this tone zone are old peavey classic 50 amps and carvin belairs. matchless. funny thing is after owning lots of boogie stuff nothing boogie really jumps to mind for that authentic spanky reedy texas dusty grit and sponge.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  7. LPVM

LPVM Member

The Rocktron Valve Sonic Black Plate should be the answer because that is made to cover Fender tones but nobody has posted a decent clip of one yet. The only clip is a few seconds in Rocktron's NAMM clip from a few years ago and Frank didn't have it set up for that Texas blues tone.

mentoneman likes this.
  8. dreamspace

dreamspace Supporting Member

Mesa Quad (on first two channels) and Mesa Studio delivered those tones. Owned multiple of both.

Frank67 and mentoneman like this.
  9. djd100

djd100 Member

A lot of what you're asking your preamp to do is created by the cab/speaker and the tube power section if applicable, or the virtual tube amp power section and cab sim etc. The preamp is just part of the equation, i.e. for quality edge-of-breakup and low/mid gain a driven tube power section or sim and the right cab/speaker or sim is essential.

The Rocksonic Valvesonic stuff is insanely good, and if you can still get a Valvesonic Blackplate for $300 still do it! The Valvesonic Plexi can also do a great job in JTM 45 mode (it's pretty much a Fender Bassman), as long as you use a Fender style open cab or sim, and a 6L6/6V6 power section or sim.

There appears to be one here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocktron-V...696454&hash=item3b439f541b:g:bs0AAOSwArteHLHa

Others include ADA MP-1/ADA MP1-Channel pedal, and of course the Egnater/Randall MTS or Synergy stuff.

Also a lot of those tones at the head of the thread are pedal based into a edge-of-breakup amp, so consider the pedals as well etc.

My little Blues flyboard for example is simple with a Cornish G2, ADA MP-1 Channel pedal (using he clean channel), and a ZOOM MS-70CDR (FX), along with a old H&K Redbox for emergency DI use. This sounds great for Blues/Jazz/Americana into any rented backline combo's FX return (or straight into a clean channel if need be as the MP-1 Channel's EQ is active, and powerful).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    mentoneman likes this.
  10. Zintolo

Zintolo Member

Another option is to buy a custom built SLO100 preamp with the SRV mod in the clean/crunch (switchable) and a Haynes mod (again, switchable) on the lead.

I had an amp with that configuration (and more controls on the poweramp), and it was a blues rock machine with my strato.

mentoneman likes this.
  11. Inerzia

Inerzia Member

I agree with the Mesa Quad and Studio suggestions, and I'll add TriAxis.
    Also, the Synergy T/Dlx and OS modules

mentoneman likes this.
  12. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I had a triaxis and although cool it didn’t seem to deep dive into that bluesy place i’m talking about.
    the synergy bassman might be closer to the tweed/srv side of the tone i’m seeking versus deluxe or od/dumble sounds. thanks for the input gang!

13. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i’m not so much a soldano guy so probably not a great fit

14. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

agree this tone is super speaker/power amp dependent normally, so i guess i’m just hunting for a weird sleeper that may have slid under my radar. honestly the eggie ie4 is SOOO close to perfectly what i want—-fender clean, srv blues, vintage marshall, fat hi gain—-that i might just do the pedals deal on the 2nd channel to dial it in.
    But that valvesonic looks pretty cool!

15. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

Kingsley Constable?

mentoneman likes this.
  16. LPVM

LPVM Member

I'm very surprised Rocktron still has some Blackplates available at the $300 blowout price. The Plexi version didn't last long. I grabbed one of those and love it. I put a G.E. 5751 in V2 which made it even better.

17. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

What about a Synergy B-Man, maybe? I've never played that one but it seems like it should be right up that alley.

Inerzia likes this.
  18. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

everything i’ve heard from that company sounds great but i’ve never seen one of their products in person to check out

19. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i’ve spent time with Frank over a few NAMM shows when he was with egnater and he’s great guy so i trust these preamps are great.

20. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

of all the modules i’ve played this is the closest to what i’m wanting. when i bought the ie4 i was contemplating the synergy and went eggie because i always wanted an ie4 so it was kinda nostalgic, and got 4 great channels of tone for $700 less than a 2 module synergy rig.

my friend has a synergy rig with slo, morgan, dumble, dirty shirley, and i had another friend’s M4 rig for a while at my house and that experience gives me great insight to what those systems are capable of.

Elric likes this.