1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite economical monitor headphones?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mbratch, Mar 5, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I have a pair of AKG K-240s I bought a long time ago. They are comfy, but I found that they are a bit bass heavy and make the music just a little muddy on the bottom end.

Wondering... what kind of headphones do you all prefer for tracking & mixing? I'm looking for something economical. Also if you have the K-240's I'd like to know if you are experiencing the same issue I am with them. Maybe it's me. :NUTS

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Audio Technica ATHM40fs. You can get them for around $70 and they have a very flat response.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

or 7506's if you can't find the V6's.

4. retro

retro Member

I think headphones tend to be, generally speaking, bass light and brighter then monitors. I prefer phones to be bass heavy as I find it translates better to speakers.

Just a thought...

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

The K-240's seem to be the opposite. If I balance nice for my headphones, then everything comes out bass-light in monitors and CD players.

6. retro

retro Member

Phones because of the way they work in your ears can be tricky I think.
    I have to track with phones, but I've found I need mix with monitors to get better results. When I first tried to mix with phones I was always bass heavy on the monitors. Doing a little research on phones it seemed like a common thing.

I would think the K240's would be a very decent pair of phones, but maybe they are not a match for your ears?

7. deepbluez

deepbluez Member

+1 on the Audio Technica ATHM40fs...

Bought a pair for use w/Echo Indigo/PowerBook setup...flat response, very comfortable...

Peace.

dpblz

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I find the A-Ts pretty decent, but not much better than the AKGs, which I also own. Just my ears and head. But they're fine for tracking.

The best headphones for monitoring and mixing I've found are the Grado HP1000s for around $500-600, but Grado also makes some far less expensive models for around 80 bucks that are absolutely killer, and have a surprisingly accurate frequency response top to bottom.

How accurate? Going back and forth to my Genelec 1031As, the frequency balance sounded about the same. That's not too shabby. Try that with anything else!

I have a pair of $1000 electrostatic phones by Stax that aren't quite as good or accurate as the $80 Grado models.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

Sorry, all hyped lows and shrieking highs. Great tracking phones for deaf musicians, but accurate, not so much.

I like the 240s, but you may want to look at Beyerdynamic 770 or 880 phones. Comfortable and very full range.

I've heard the cheaper Grados and they sound amazing, but they were very uncomfortable for me to wear for any length of time. But then, I've got a fat head, just ask my wife...

Loudboy

10. retro

retro Member

There is a Beyer pad mod for Grado's. Depending on the model anyone has it may be worth checking out. I have some inexpensive Grado SR's myself and I can only wear them for all of five minutes before I have to rip them off my head. They are however, good phones. The open air design can bleed though.

http://www.headphile.com/page16.html

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Sorry, all hyped lows and shrieking highs. Great tracking phones for deaf musicians, but accurate, not so much<<

+1

I have a pair. Good for tracking drummers, 'cause they can crank them up loud and hear the click.