Favorite EL34 Tubes in a Hiwatt/Reeves?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pale Rider, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I have a Reeves Custom 50 head and I need to replace the tubes, and I know Bill loves the JJs, but was wondering if anything has pleased you even further with this style of amp-I have no complaints with the JJs, just seeing if I'm missing anything....

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I have DR504 clones i built with Blackburn Mullard xf3's in one and old production Tesla's in the other-----i've made arrangements to buy an '80 Hiwatt DR504 that i re-tubed for a friend--- it has JJ E34L's that i put in it.
    If you want to stay with new production EL34's then i'd suggest Shuguang EL34B's, JJ E34L's, and Winged =C= EL34's.
    The amps with real Mullard and old Tesla output tubes sound amazing....................gldtp99

3. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I like the Winged =C=s best in my DR504......

4. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Mine has the JJ's and sounds good.
    Interested in the winged C's...anyone compared both in the Reeves?

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

Can anyone describe the differences they hear when using the WInged Cs or others?
    Thanks

6. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I've used both in my original and clone DR504s, and the JJ's are OK, but a little darker and kind of dead sounding compared to the =C=s. I actually like the =C=s as much as the '60's vintage Teslas I have.

I also find that the power tubes don't make as much of a difference in the hiwatt circuit as the preamps do. If you're gonna spend money on NOS stuff, definitely get good pres first........