• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Favorite epic love ballads?

Tony Done

Dolly's "I will ......." was the first that came to mind, but this is one of my favourites, also lotsa good folkie versions:

This is another, good for funerals:

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member

I adore this song and performance - it got remixed with a syrupy orchestra on it for the single but the film version with just the piano and multitracked vocals was perfect. I loved the film in my early teens as well, and it got me into Janis Joplin.

And sod it, might as well post this, I know it offends the 'real' Guns N Roses fans but there's nothing about this song or video I don't love.

Rob Taft

Gold Supporting Member
I know this is an overplayed 80's pop song but due to circumstances it still resonates with me. In either late 84 or earlier 85, I was heading via car to NOLA back from a shipyard in Pascagoula MS. My job was a S%it show and the woman I was in love with or at least thought I was in love with broke up with me over the phone while I was at work and took her daughter and moved back to her ex husband. I was an emotional wreck. This came on the radio about half way home and I was in tears for the next 50 miles. When I hear this today, through the power of music, I'm almost transported back to that car trip.

rawkguitarist

I'm a sucker for great love songs myself. I don't know about "big" but here are some greats in my mind:

"Heroes" - David Bowie
"I Am A River" - Foo Fighters
"Home" - Foo Fighters

"Goldilox" - King's X
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" - The Police
"Go to Bed Early" - Brad Paisley
"How Lucky Can A Man Get" - Gavin DeGraw
"In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel
"Lucky This Time" - Mr. Big
"My Naomi" - Paul Gilbert
"Mr. Spock" - Paul Gilbert
"Face To Call Home" - John Mayer