Favorite examples of PRS tone

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by thornie, Jan 31, 2012.

1. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

Post some!

I am in the market for a new guitar and for the first time in my life after years of playing Gibsons/Fenders I'm leaning toward PRS. I know PRS's are super versatile and can sound almost like anything, so I thought I'd make this thread so people can share their favorite PRS tones..

Here are two of mine...

2. DRS

DRS Member

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

5. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I can't think of one single instance of PRS tone.

6. BigDar

BigDar Member

Dave Grissom and Al will make anything sound good. I had a Custom 24 for awhile and I just couldn't "bond" with it. Flawless workmanship and a beautiful top but just sounded kinda generic to me. Could have been operator error, too.

7. thornie

Which is why I made this thread. The two I posted are tones I love that were played with a PRS. I was hoping people would share something that was uniquely PRS (if it exists).

It's kind of sad that the first thing people think of when they hear PRS is Nickelback and Santana :( Although, I am also guilty of that.

8. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

The identity or voice of an instrument tend to be less clear once the gain goes up, and most of the good or great PRS players' tones I can think of are quite distorted. So it's not a slight of the instruments or the company that pointing out a unique PRS tone is hard.

9. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

cool i will be watching, i have wanted to try a DGT for some time. I dont listen to Santana or Nickelback so I was unaware they use those guitars.

10. DRS

DRS Member

The problem with the PRS "tone" is that PRS has deliberately designed a guitar that combines Gibson and Fender attributes so a distinct sound is hard to find. A Strat with more balls? A Les Paul but not so muddy? Most of that high gain chugga chugga would sound the same with any guitar. Santana is sweet, though. But would Carlos playing a $1200 SG into his Dumble sound much different?

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I'll leave out Santana and Al DiMeola, since everybody knows they make ANY guitar sound great...Gawd, what a weak argument from an obvious hater. The first track above is David Grissom...a well known PRS fan/artist and user who also "gets" them. This was done a LONG time ago, and sounds freaking fantastic to me. A benchmark of lead tones for sure.

PRS works for me, and has for the past 12 years. I have a Custom 22 that is my #1, despite all the Gibsons, Fenders, etc. I've had in the house.

Haters...why do you come here? Start your own hate thread. This is meant to be a help to someone looking for a toneful, playable instrument. Why pee all over the thread? Oh, wait a minute... I know the answer. Haters hate.

S.
    j

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Quintessential Dave for me:

this doesn't suck;

dave navarro

Warren wailing with the Allmans in 89

13. thornie

Good to see this thread picking up! Thanks!

Here are some tasty mellow Opeth PRS tones, Sweet cleans and a tremendous lead tone @ 1:15 and fantastic Jazzy tone @ 4:45... Such a versatile guitar.

14. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Now for something completely different.

15. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Grissom gets that filthy tone. Not sure how but it's perfect.
    As if his guitar has a cold and you can hear the phlegm rattle with every breath.

I hate him for making me want to spend thousands on a DGT.

16. thornie

Love me some "The Ocean", had no idea they played PRS.

17. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I owned a PRS for a few years and just didn’t like it. That mid-heavy honk and skwack just got fatiguing. At the risk of being labeled a “hater”, (I can’t believe how many grown men around here use this word) a few of the examples of good PRS tone are from players that I thought had better tone previous to their use of PRS guitars.

18. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I know Robin has a couple of Custom 24s he uses pretty much exclusively. I'm not sure who's playing rhythm for The Ocean right now but I think he uses a PRS too.

19. BigDar

BigDar Member

No, no, no-you got me all wrong Mr. Boss-of-this-place-I don't hate PRS's at all...Paul makes flawless instruments-I really wanted to bond with it but as I said-could have been operator error, wrong amp, whatever. Just didn't work for me. In no way am I hating on them-not at all. Don't put words in my mouth, please. I apologize for pissing off such an obviously important person here.:huh

20. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

I'm a big PRS fan, owned a few over the years (2x hollowbodies, 2x DGT's, CU24, Santana SE, something I'm forgetting probably), but even as a big fan I don't feel like they really have a definitive tone the way, say, a telecaster or a les paul does. If anything, a great deal of PRS players tend to lean towards hard rock, and the tone of the instrument itself tends to get lost in the distortion.

I don't think of David Grissom as having a PRS tone. I think of him as having a David Grissom tone. The same goes for Santana.