Favorite Fender Super Reverb Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dynosoar1, Jan 8, 2008.

1. dynosoar1

dynosoar1 Member

Any preferences for speakers in your blackface super reverb? I'm speaking mainly in terms of original speakers.

CTS, Jensen...etc????

2. 67super

67super Supporting Member

The CTS alnico's in my BFSR sound incredible

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I'm interested in re-speakering my super reverb reissue soon and I'd love to hear some opinions. I know the JBLs are the speaker of lore for blackface fenders, but i'm interested in what they actually sound like. I know they are very robust and with a lot of headroom, but are they EV like??

what i'm looking for in my super are LOUD (high efficiency) sweet sounding (non-beamy) speakers with solid bottoms and gentle but accurate top end response with a midrange that can go from classic fender to an almost vox-y growl when EQ'd correctly.

From what I understand, i may be thinking about weber's JBL clones mixed with his 10" blue dogs.

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

All Blue Pup Celestions.

5. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

original Jensen C-10R's in my 1964

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

that's interesting. do you currently rock this setup?? I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds.

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Kendrick Black-Frame 10 inch speakers in my '65 Blackface Fender Super Reverb amp. Awesome tones...

8. Sweet T

Sweet T Member

I have a mix of Weber 10A125's and 10F150's in mine, and they sound good, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Weber's CTA's when they come out.

9. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

My Super Reverb currently has Reverend Altone 10-25's in it. They are basically Naylors version of a hot-rodded Jensen Ceramic. They have plenty of chime and are nice and full on the bottom. The bottom can be a little on the loose side with a Les Paul, but I like the fullness it gives. If you want the same tone but with a much tighter bottom end, the newer version of that speaker was the Altone 10-30. The disctinctive difference is the tightness on the bottom. The amp still retains that great Fender/Jensen sound and is very smooth and full.

JBL D110's are great speakers too. Not very colored and sort of bright on top. Not harsh, but certainly bright. I find them to be a little on the directional side...maybe a bit beamy. I much prefer the D120 12" to the D110 10" because of this.

Good Luck.

JD