Favorite Fender Tweed Amp for Gigging?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pfrischmann, Sep 17, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi guys,
    I've decided I need a tweed amp. I've heard deluxe's and Bassmans. I think the Bassman might be too loud for your basic club gig and the deluxe may be too quiet. I'm looking for that "jesus just left Chicago" sound.

I'd like to hear from a few of you guys that gig with tweed amps.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I nail the ZZ Top tone with my Tweed Blues Deluxe Reissue.I use a fulltone 2 for the solo part boost.E -mail me if your interested.

Johnny
    jdaugh1@comcast.net

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I don't gig with it, and I don't even have one. But I know a guy who uses a Tweed Tremolux and it's sounds pretty much like what you are describing.

4. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Lo-po tweed Twin does that sound. IMHO it's the "beefiest" sounding that I've heard and holds together the best. It breaks up pretty early but can get loud. You can experiment with different rectifiers to get it to break up at different volumes, and the treble really does act like a gain knob.

I've only played throught my own builds and the Fender RI, not an original. I prefered my own builds (IMHO!) because I used the PaulC mod and a few other things to enhance the tightness.

5. monstermike

monstermike Member

Quieter - Deluxe
    Medium - Super, Pro, Bandmaster
    Louder - Bassman, low-power Twin

Narrow panel models preferred, probably.

All of the above will do what you want with the right guitar, settings and touch. You just have to decide how much amp you need. If you're playing with no PA reinforcement and a really loud drummer, a Deluxe might not cut it, so I would recommend a Super or Pro as the next step up. I can't imagine getting a Bassman or Twin up into that kind of overdrive in a club these days without using a pedal, and then, what's the point?

6. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Get a Double Deluxe, perfect for that sound, IMHO. I've got two Vickies, and my Double Deluxe with my Tele (for rhythm), and then kick in the Les Paul with just a bit of help from my Fulldrive 2, and I'm right in that zone. If I had a way to record, I'd just send it to you, but alas, I do not.

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

You might want to consider a Victoria Victrolux as well. 35 watts via 2 6L6s. Mine's in a 2x10 combo set up, and it's just right. Nice on the back, beautiful brown/blackface-ish cleans (including trem and reverb), and not overly loud when pushed into sweet overdrive. Like Monster Mike said, with the right touch and guitar, you're there (and I think he might even currently be playing a custom Victrolux with 6V6s). If you want just pure Tweed though, I'd say go with the Tweed Super.

8. monstermike

monstermike Member

Yeah, mine's the Victoriette with 6V6s instead of EL84s, and it's one of the world's perfect amplifiers. I would say it's a little too blackface-sparkly for the Gibbons tone, although good buckers do mess up the front end nicely, and I have gotten a decent mid-volume approximation of the live side of "Wheels of Fire" with a 335.

9. lp144

lp144 Supporting Member

Clark 5e3 Replica with Tone Tubby - jump the channels, turn the Tone all the way up, Keeley Katana Boost and a Les Paul driving it all.

On most gigs it is attenuated 3 dB with Clark's Regulator...very seldom do I need to run it flat out.

lp144

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

+1

my clark lil bit LTD is the only tweedish amp i'll ever gig/record/jam with.

11. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I'll back up riverastoasters with my own personal experience. Nearly every gtr gig I do is powered by my '57 Tremolux. Basically same as a Deluxe (18 watts, single 12"), but in a bigger box (Pro-size). Seems to "air it out"; gets across where a tweed Deluxe might come up short. And like I always say: If the gig calls for a louder amp than that, I probably don't want the gig!
    ________
    colorado dispensaries

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  12. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

If the Deluxe isn't quite enough for you, find one of the clones (Clark, SDG, etc...) that offer the deluxe with an upgraded transformer that allows you to run 6L6s... this takes the wattage up to about 25 - 30, but it's my understanding that it retains the same basic tone (minor differences due to Tube types).

if anyone has tried this (6L6s in a 5E3 circuit), chime in. I am going on second hand info, haven't tried it myself.

13. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Yeah,
    I've been very interested in the pro-luxe as well.

It's a shame the bassmans are so loud. I really like theway they sound.

14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

About 10 years ago I scored a couple of 57 Bassmans, restored by Kendrick for $850 and original for $125. When I first took the restored one to a gig the guys said it sounds great but it's LOUD. I changed the both to cathode bias and figured out a way to use an attenuator with either one. The cathode bias can cut the volume about 25% and reduce the punch greatly. Depending on which rectifier tube is used you can also dial in how much sag and bloom you get. For some reason the restored one sounds a hair better than the recapped original one. Maybe because of the reconed speakers. You can also gig a tweed Deluxe. A more efficient speaker will make a huge difference. I used a D120 in mine for a lot of gigs and it had plenty. Recently I put a Celestion ndym in it and it's even louder now and has more bottom. I've taken out a 1950 Pro to a couple of gigs. It came with the field coil Jensen so I put a D130 in it. Sounds good but it's awful heavy for a 15 watt amp and it's really no louder than the Deluxe. Later Pros are much louder. I have two Supers, a 1950 and a 1959. The 1950 doesn't really cut it live, the 1959 is very loud. I have an early Tremolux and only took it out once. It had a Mojotone 12 in it when I got it and that might be why I didn't like it.

15. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

While the Clark and Victoria amps mentioned are totally sweet, are there any more affordable options for getting into the Tweed zone?

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

That 3x10 bandmaster format hits a sweetspot for me. Never played an original, but it's hard to imagine a better gigging amp than my Clark Tyger. Sweet and clear at low volumes, sings and screams when you turn it up. 35 watters are so flexible on stage. Supers and Pros, a bit different flavor, but equally useful and ear-friendly, even at higher volumes.

That said, I would dearly love a big box tremolux. It may not always be loud enough ... it's always a remarkably beautiful sound.

17. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Another one to look at is the VVT amps "Twisted Tweed".

It's a small footprint, light weight, Deluxe-based amp with some... well .... twists....

4 6V6s (like a double deluxe), built in tube reverb, a half power switch (to eliminate two of the tubes for those gigs where you only need 20 watts), and more of a Bassman-like tone. I am not sure how he acheives it, but it probably has more to do with OT and Speaker choices than anything else.

It's a single channel (normal) with a bright switch, rather than offering the two separate input channels, so no channel jumpering on this one.

Here is the site... http://www.vvtamps.com/thanks-payment.htm

18. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Tweed Bassman! I loved my old 3X10 Bandmaster but it didn't have enough clean.

19. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I still go for the Blues deluxe myself. They can do it and there is a butt load of em out there used.

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Your tone on the new album is terrific. Vicky Tweed 1x12, right?
    :RoCkIn