Favorite Flat Latex Interior Wall Paint?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Cactus Bob, Jun 19, 2018.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

went with the cheap (or mid range) behr and it was good enough because i'm renting and i was painting white walls darker color. once you actually know how to paint you could get away with one coat, but two isn't a terrible idea. still looks good a couple of years later, but i tend to keep things dark here, which minimizes the effect the sun would have on it.

i suppose that is the real mark of quality with paint. not what looks good, but what still looks good, even years later.

2. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

1. If it is a "Major Brand", the name on the can is meaningless.
    2. Do you actually mean "Flat". Consider something with a "Low Sheen".
    For inside a house, the brand still will not matter.
    Good Luck

3. jiml

jiml Member

And Roger Moore.

4. Jignant

Jignant Member

Used to use Behr. It left trim lines on a wall that I had to go over again once the wall was rolled out. Even if I trimmed out one wall at a time. I can tell just by dipping my brush in Sherwin Williams paint and how it feels going on the wall how much better it is.

One man's opinion that has some paint time at his residence under his belt...:cool:

Oh and just try to wipe marks off of your walls with flat paint...Semigloss...Semigloss. Best of luck!

EDIT: Two of my band mates are professional painters. I get the paint thru their account at the SW store. Not sure about different grades of paint from the same manufacturers...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Tommy Biggs and aman74 like this.
  5. aman74

aman74 Member

Yeah, straight up flat is pretty hard to keep looking nice. Might not need to go to a full semigloss, but I wouldn’t do pure flat.

I used to paint interiors as a summer job for a few years. The contractor I worked with heavily favored Benjamin Moore, we didn’t care for Sherwin Williams.

This is decades ago though and more recently, since their prices are ridiculous, when I have had to paint for myself it’s been Behr. I still didn’t think it was as nice, but the market is such that cheaper alternatives are good enough.

Peteyvee, lizardking and Jignant like this.
  6. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Flat paint sux in my opinion. I hate the look. Eggshell is my go to for bedrooms and living rooms

Trotter likes this.
  7. Jignant

Jignant Member

Oops I stated this incorrectly. Eggshell it is for walls!

8. joethepainter

joethepainter It's Life, but not as we know it Silver Supporting Member

I recommend Benjamin Moore Regal, in matte finish. The sheen level is between flat and eggshell. Very durable finish, with excellent color retention over time.

9. 100JH

100JH Member

Sweet Salted Butter or Vanilla Madeline...both taste great

10. McStrats

McStrats Member

Flat all the way on a sheet rock wall. I buy whatever is on sale between Valspar and Behr and put on 2 coats. 1st coat is always a primer if its new construction, or a radical change of color.

Tommy Biggs and Cactus Bob like this.
  11. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

12. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Flat black, ceiling too

guitargeek6298 likes this.
  13. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Most flat interior paints would fit your requirements perfectly well. For things like adhesion, uniform color, ease of application; by sticking to the recognizable brands' higher end offerings all do just fine. I only know of one that has "scrubbability" as a feature. Sherwin Williams Emerald.
    Most flat paint will come off on the cloth if you wash it. They say this one won't. Paint takes a while to dry, much longer to cure. Apparently when cured that one is colorfast.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  14. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Supporting Member

Great info so far here lads! The walls of my house are like new, very clean, painted white and just need a coat of paint to refresh them. I might go with Behr Premium Ultra Flat for the walls and Semi Gloss on the trim, start with the den and keep going with it if I like working with it.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah. Or, experiment with some different levels of sheen. Figure out how many defects you've got on your surfaces, and flatten the sheen back away (from more gloss) a little until most of them disappear. Highly unlikely your surfaces are perfect enough for a semi-gloss, so find something a bit flatter than that. Purely flat paint doesn't look like much and I don't think it has a long enough life. With a purely flat finish, even if no-one smokes, there's contamination from cooking, etc., and if you can't wash that residue off, that's no good. A little glossier than eggshell would be very cool.

I would avoid these new gen wall paints with the primer already incorporated into the paint. Just tint your primer coat, then use a quality paint with no primers in it - so much easier IMO to apply and get a pro appearance.

I've got an account with Sherman Williams (they give ya better prices with it) but Behr is also good, and so is Porter and Benjamin Moore, etc. The brand you choose may have more to do with how proficient the store employees at that location are, really.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  16. axeplayer

axeplayer Member

Just doing some painting this week. I’m using Behr Ultra matte in the bedroom which is basically a flat with a little sheen for added durability. Looks nice.
    I’ve used eggshell in the dining room and hallway. (No little kids helps.)
    Behr has their Marquee which is supposed to be a one coat paint.
    I’ve used Benjamin Moore, Valspar & Sherwin-Williams without any issues.
    You will probably find some of these if not all on sale for July 4th.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  17. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Nitro - get a quote from Mark Jenny. They did my closet in ‘closet classic’ antique white. It’s great.

Getting a lightly relic’d two tone sunburst in one of the kids rooms next. Wife’s a little concerned about the fumes but she’s Sammy Hagar fan so what does she know.

Cactus Bob and Codyyy like this.
  18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Benjamin Moore is preferred by the pro painters I know. There's also Farrow and Ball, but if you have to ask how much for a gallon, forget it. Then again, it goes on like butter. Literally. It has a cream like texture and goes on smooth as silk. Benny does almost as good a job for less than half the price, even at $45 gallon.

I look at it this way: I hate to paint (especially the prep work: patching, sanding and priming) so if I'm paying someone else to do it, the last thing I want to do is scrimp on the paint. Since I'm not rich (hey $2500/wk doesn't go as far as it used to ;) ), I'm not paying $100 per gallon for Farrow and Ball. Benny does the job for much less and looks great for a long time.

19. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

I thought this thread was trolling. Boy was I wrong.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  20. aman74

aman74 Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018