Favorite "fun" pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Keld, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Keld

Keld Member

Looking for a pedal that does something different - don't need a boost/od/compressor/reverb/chours/flanger/phaser. Something like a Hog or an Adrenalinn. Any suggestions?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I like an Octavia personally.

3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

The funnest pedal I've ever played with is a Z Vex Fuzz Factory. I've dialed in monster fuzz tones, siren noises, massive feedback, UFO sounds, and japanese radio stations with 'em.

cajone5 likes this.
  4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

+1 on the Octavia, I have a Roger Meyer spaceship Octavia that is very cool indeed and very fun to use.

5. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

ZVex Jonny Octave.
    It is THE funk bomb, nasty maker!:dude

6. Occam

Occam Member

I have two choices:
    -Moog MuRF...just so many different sounds that are totally new and inspiring
    -E-H POG...I've never played a pedal that made me smile so much. I don't know how many songs I'll use this in but it is the definition of fun to play.

7. enickma

enickma Member

When slightly bored I can spend hours tweaking on my dl4 for all sorts of delay fun

8. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

An overdrive into a Green Ringer sounds great, very synth-like.

9. Kezend

Kezend Member

gotta be the Effector13 Truly Beautiful Disaster, a mate and i did a recording last night of it, with a fuzz factory, delay, and boss phaser in the effects loop, using the photo eye. ill post it up here when i get it. thing is, with an effects feedback loop, you have unlimited possibilities!
    whammy into reverse delay is fun also.

my fav atm though is:

guitar > fuzz factory > dano forward/reverse delay >
    > dry out to amp
    > wet out > whammy set two octaves high to another amp
    then the delay is set for full wet, so the dry still comes through, but you have a two octave high delay! sounds nasty as on chords

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

To me...a huge par tof the ZVex line has the "grin factor" just built in.

I am new to Zvex stuff, but recently bought a Fuzz Factory, and Seek Trem. (also an SHO, but that is seriously excellent...fun too, but just excellent). Both pedals...you lose days and wonder where the time went.

I also get a lot of fun out of strange combinations. Actually my old (70's) Ibanez FL-9 flanger is a helluva lot of fun.

I had it stored away for years. When I was a kid in the 70's, I bought it, thinking it would give me a "bridge of sighs" kinda sound...never heard of "vibes" back then...me I mean, and the pedal frustrated me because I wanted something out of it it couldn't really deliver. Also with the regen knob, it is easy to get into trouble.

But that really is the whole thing I think. "Serious" pedals, that are designed excellently usually give you some parameters to play with via knobs, but keep them in "reasonable" ranges so you don't get into trouble, so idjits can make 'em sound good (I mean, give them too much rope, and some moron will be out there with your pedal, hanging himself, making it sound like crap...guitarists take note of bad sounding as well as good sounding...so..) and keep the trimpots inside. Also make them so settings are repeatable and predictable, which is exactly what most folks want for gigging.

In ALL cases, as far as I am concerned, the most "pure fun" pedals are the ones that let you tweak things you "shouldn't" be able to. A few (like the Seek Trem) don't fall into that category, but to me, genuinely built a NEW pedal type (it sure ain't a normal "trem").

But other than that, the vibe on the Captain Coconuts, the Fuzz Factory, etc. all give you chances to make weird ass sounds...and a lot of times they just tickle me, some are completely unuseable unless you want to create a new music, but even those...if you can "tame" just a little bit the sound...bring it down a notch, gets some useable cool sounds too.

On the other hand, many times it is like it is with painting, when I mixed my own colors...I always went too far and ended up with some grayish/redish color no matter what I mixed :)

triviani likes this.
  11. Brick

Brick Member

+1

Incredibly fun pedal. Very cool guitar sounds and cool non-traditional guitar sounds too. I can start playing around with it and the next thing I know two hours have gone by....and I'm still smiling.

12. covert

covert Member

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

Whenever I'm in a "fun" mood I pull out the EH Q-Tron. :BOUNCE

DeVilleDude and Samarasa like this.
  14. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Octavia's are cool but I use them too much to be considered a "fun" pedal. That honor falls on the good old Mold Spore.

15. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I'm having a lot of fun with my Emma DiscumBobulator.

The Maxon PH-350 phaser is a ton of fun too.

16. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Digitech EX-7 Expression factory. 2 wahs;whammy;univibe; space station;leslie and flanger. The most fun pedal I've ever owned.

17. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Agree, Zvex pedals are some fun...

Fuzz Factory, a blast
    Ooh Wah (get a cool rhythm going and add a Delay... real cool)
    Wah Probe (not crazy but still lot of fun)

And yes, you can do some real cool stuff with a Digitech Whammy.

18. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

Zvex and Moog pedals :)

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I really like the Deluxe Moon Phaser, Deluxe Memory Man, Discumbobulator and POG... I'm sure I will like the HR-2, HOG setup and KR Doubler when I can afford them. Nothing quite like the HOG setup, but you can get cool synth tones with POG, especially with all of the other effects. Very cool, "I am Steely Dan" pedal, especially when you loop something and start messing with controls on the DMM.

20. Fretts

Fretts Member

I second the vote on just about anything from ZVex, but some are freakier than others. Fuzz Factory is so out there, it should be illegal, Machine is odd. The seektrem is big fun.
    Other pedals with some fun in them are Robotalk, EH's Frequency Analyzer (ringmod), the ADA Flanger, and there's a really strange effect you can get if you take a Octavia or similar like Fuller's Octafuzz...and turn your guitar way down until it's barely cracked open; your tone becomes very strange indeed and gets a lot of attention, try it, you'll see. It's not especially any quieter than full-on, but what a diff sound.