Favorite fuzz in front of a dirty amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Occam

Occam Member

This seems to be a tought one. Fuzzes especially seem to be picky about being in front of an already dirty amp or at least while trying to retain some of their fuzz characteristics.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Good question. If your using your amps overdrive and distortion but want the Fuzz buzz on top of it what would you use? That might be the issue I have in that I don't use overdrive and distortion pedals. Is my only alternative to switch to a clean channel to get a Fuzz effect? The couple of Fuzz pedals I have owned don't seem to do much when switched on.

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Already dirty amp? I agree with you that fuzzes are picky. I thought the J. Everman G2 was perfect in front of an already dirty amp to give a fuzz edge on top of the overdrive. The G2 also was capable of a volume boost in front of a dirty amp, which is nice since some dirt pedals can't get much lift when the amp's already cooking. I didn't think it had much fuzz to it in front of a clean amp, but that's just me.

The AM Sunface with the volume up and fuzz down was also great at this. I am really missing this pedal a lot...

4. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the J Everman G2, it really is designed to add wall of sound fuzz to an already overdriven amp.

5. ck3

ck3 Member

Light Drive: Barge Concepts BB-1, Holowon Static Egg, DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz, Uglyface

High Gain: Almost any octave (up) fuzz

6. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

I use a Fulltone '69 and love it. Crank the volume and bias knobs, leave the contour and fuzz knobs around 3 o'clock, with the amp set for a crunch tone. You can leave it always on and go from the original amp tone to the wicked fuzz tone just by controlling the volume knob. :dude

7. Occam

Occam Member

Well the problem I've had before is that the fuzzes will either go really thin sounding even if they're normally a fat sounding pedal in front of a clean amp. Other fuzzes will start gating far more than I enjoy because they don't seem to get the volume boost so you've got to crank them pretty high even for unity volume.

I really just want a very dense and rich, almost swirlying sort of tone when I step on the fuzz. I saw the band Boris last night and I noticed that their guitar player was using a MXR Dyna Comp in front of a vintage muff for most of her tone and it sounded great.

8. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Try a Lovepedal kARL.

I don't use much amp dirt(verge of breakup)
    But I use an OD & stack it with the kARL & the results are stunning.
    Works just as well when Stacking with other fuzzes.
    The kARL never gets thin.
    And for that swirling effect you mentioned,no other pedal even enters the ballpark.

Just my 2 cents

9. Euthymia

Euthymia Member

Of the Euthymia pedals, the Crucible Fuzz Ge is my favorite in front of an already-distorted amp.

Way Jimi @ Monterey....

10. Occam

Occam Member

Can I rent one from you for a bit or should I bring the Matamps over to your place and crank them up and we can time how long it takes the alameda police to get over there....my guess is under 5 minutes :dude

11. jimmy54

jimmy54 Member

I've got a 3 knob tone bender fuzz clone and it works great in front of my Matamp 1224 when the amp is already set to a dirtier tone.
    Leonardo hit the nail on the head. Set the fuzz low and the level high. This gives a great fuzz boost without the fizz. The volume knob on yer guitar can then be used to clean the tone up.

As I've recently been bitten by the pedal building bug, I'm going to build a Maestro fuzz pedal. The guy out of the black keys uses one of these and I really like his tone.

12. Occam

Occam Member

I also use Matamp's (GTL140 and GTO140) and I do a lot with the volume on my guitar, it's the only way I get clean tones. I have a tonebender kit that I've been waiting to put together but I lost some of the resistors, I finally replaced them but haven't gotten around to building it due to some unfortunate circumstances.

13. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but for the dirty amp/fuzz tones that I like to hear, my Pedalworx McFuzz does the trick better than most I've tried.

14. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Ah,,,another dollar for the `if I had a buck for everytime I read a post on which fuzz` jar,,,,MJM London Fuzz. Best Fuzzface clone on the market today.

http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/

CT.

15. fyler

fyler Member

ZVex Fuzz Factory.
    many people are turned/scared off by the possibilty of unstable noise/mayhem, but it truly can be used as a "normal" fuzz. it is capable of gorgeous, smooth, infinite sustain goodness. really. i swear. i use it in front of my (already overdriving a bit ) THD flexi & it is wonderous. the secret weapon i have is a volume pedal after the FF. it allows me to do swells (for the violin thang) as well as act as a manual noise gate for the occasionally squealy FF. i don't know if it would work for everybody (what does?) but it definitely works (great) for me.

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I have a pretty large collection of fuzz pedals (see sig, haha) and with my Germino LoVo 55 turned up to crunch, the best fuzz with it is my DAM 1966 gives the amp mondo sustain, HUGE open crunch and harmonics jumping everywhere. Keep in mind the Germino takes all pedals very well, clean, dirty and cranked so it might be more a character of the amp than the pedal, but out of all of them, its definately the best combination for a fuzz into a dirty amp.

-TJK

17. Occam

Occam Member

I've been thinking about the DAM Ezekial because I also typically use lower tunings (think a beefier Iommi style tone). So many choices. I wish I could find a store with a quality loner program I have no problems buying one or two especially if I'm confident that they're the right ones.