Favorite Fuzz Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bonedance, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

To expand the favorite overdrive thread a bit, what are your favorite fuzz pedals?

I've been playing guitar for many a moon. My very first pedal was a Sunn Buzz back in the late 60's. A little black box that plugged in to the guitar. If you were in an Iron butterfly cover band, that would be the pedal to have!

Anyway, other than an old Maestro fuzz ( the ones with the big wheels on the side ) I had around 1977, I've been fuzzless until recently.

About a year ago, a buddy sent me his 69, soulbender and McFuzz to try. While I dug them all, I fell in love with the 69. Didn't give the McFuzz its due at that time as the other two tweaked my interest.

I'm still dig the 69 and have found some great tones with that pedal.

Recently, I did a trade with a forum member here and wound up with a McFuzz. What a great pedal! I am having a blast with it. Many great tones live inside this pedal and it's interaction with various guitars, amps and overdrive pedals is a great learning experience. I realize this is old hat to many of you fuzz afficianados here, but it's a whole new ball game for me.....and one I'm enjoying very much.

Another cool fuzz I had was the FabFuzz from Craig at Awenda music. That little bugger had some cool tones at a price I could not believe for a hand wired pedal.

I always figured a fuzz was fuzz......it's been nice to be able to put an end to that misconception. Each unit seems to have it's own sonic character and does something a bit different than the other. Much fun!

So, tell me about your favorite fuzz pedals. How you use them, what led you to try them, etc. Inquiring minds want to know!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I use two - the HomeBrew Electronics UFO and the Frantone The Sweet. They sound great together too. The UFO is more old school fuzz, with an octave up option. The Sweet is like a Big Muff Pi on steroids.

3. mustangman

mustangman Member

cleaner fuzz- Peach Fuzz
    bassy fuzz- Fender Blender.

4. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

analogman sunface-always wanted a really good fuzzface and this delivers in spades.

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

Hi Brad,

The Analogman Sunface is IT. I just sold mine last week and am still scratching my head trying to figure out how I'm gonna get that sound back.

The McFuzz was very cool, but it would not be redundant to have the Sunface as well since they behave differently. I have heard that the Addrock Geranium is in the ballpark of the Sunface and has the added features of LED and AC tap, in addition to costing less, but I have yet to play that one.

Phil M. (still loving the HELL out of that Butler Rangemaster!)

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

+1 on th Sun Face....

7. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

Have only owned one Fuzface - Fulltone 69 - So i gess im not a expert in this area.... I will add how-ever It is a great pedal that cleans up very well if you use your volume on your guitar much..... definitle a contender I would think.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of new and vintage fuzzes and I always come back to my Analogman NKT modded Fuzz Face-nothing cleans up as well and sustains as nicely without gating/spitting/wierdness...

9. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Phil,

Loving the NKT Sunface you sold to me man. Now I can see how Hendrix got those early album tones and the Monterey stuff. With my Strat or Suhr Strat and any of my amps (Dr Z MAZ Jr, Rt 66, or Germino Lead 55) set for a smidge of breakup, this thing rules! Thanks again. It's like I'm time warped back to 1967.

10. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

My other favorite fuzz, and the only pedal I've had for more than 4-5 years is my old swirly Prescription Electronics Experience Pedal. Best octave/fuzz device on the planet.

11. WailingMookie

WailingMookie Member

I have 3:

Analogman NKT-275 w/ Sundial
    For all of the fuzzes I've tried, this one is unparalleled for getting that classic fuzzface tone. In this department I shoot for early Hendrix, and this does not disappoint.

Skreddy Zero
    This is my goto fuzz/distortion pedal when I want to fatten up single coils. Also rocks with humbuckers. I use this to cover anything from Smashing Pumpkins (duh), to Pink Floyd-type leads, to general distortion. The controls have incredible range and the EQ is extremely useful.

Z. Vex Fuzz Factory
    This pedal is just silly. I usually have it set to use on fat leads where if I sustain a note for long enough it will start sputtering and sounding like a robot. I freaking LOVE it. But there are about a million different flavors to be had here if you're willing to experiment.

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz
    Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (silicon BC-109Cs)
    Euthymia GE Crucible
    Fulltone SoulBender
    Fender Blender

13. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Marshall Supa Fuzz.

14. stekks

stekks Member

Fulltone Soulbender (keep coming back to this one)
    Dave Fox modded Fuzzface (Ge/Si with an extra 'grit' control)

15. Phil M

Phil M Member

Glad you're liking it, Brent. That was pretty much how I used mine. Rivera EL34 head set for some breakup and then kick the fuzz on. I found that I could leave it on a lot of the time and just use the guitar's volume since it cleaned up so well.

16. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

My favorite fuzzes that where clones are the Proanalog
    Scaryface(ff)
    MKII(tone bender)
    Very musical & accurate sounding replicas of the classics.

But I tend to favor the ones that aren't direct clones of anything.

My current fuzz stash is:

Black beautey balance(si/ge fuzz with a wide sweep of tones from ff to tonebender & lots of inbetweens)

Fuzz50 (si ? thick uniquly voiced fuzz with tones of sustain)

Keeley bd2 fuzz freak(great ge fuzz that stacks great with OD tones as well)

kARL Fuzz(Crazy si fuzz with ghost notes,broken amp sounds and even Clapton tones in there)

17. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I've tried a few and my Proanalog MKII has them all beat by a mile.

18. jordanL

jordanL Member

ANothe Guy who really likes the Sunface NKT. Fuzz is an occasional thing for me, its a pedal that usally sits on the shelf for a while, but I always enjoy rediscovering how great it sounds.

The Fuzz factory is a great pedal if you like tweaking knobs. You never know what sounds you're going to find, and if you'll ever find them again.

My Recent favorite is a Pedalworx over under MkII tonebender. rude and nasty, in a good way, very cutting and in your face. More bite and sustain than a fuzz face, but doesn't clean up as well.

These are the opinions of a bedroom player, experience in the barroom may vary.

19. exodus

exodus Member

The best I've used is the McFuzz Hot. And the best mistake I made was plugging it in with an 18v plug from my VL power. It made it clearer, richer, and flat out better.

20. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

For a basic Fuzz Face type sound, I'm very happy with my Monsterpiece NPN silicon fuzz- well built, simple, effective.
    For more "outside" fuzz, the best I've heard so far are the Urso Splinter and the Z Vex Fuzz Factory...