• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Favorite Guitar Magazine Lessons?

blindtc

What are some of the best tips/lessons you guys got from guitar magazines over the years? Anything that altered your playing in a way? anything that caused a breakthrough? Anything you would like to share?

stratology

There was an excellent series by Robert Fripp in Guitar Player magazine a long time ago.

One lesson that really changed things for me was when he talked about left hand technique, explaining the difference between pressing down a string, releasing the pressure (without actively moving the finger off the string), and lifting a finger just far enough.

garret

Wow, remember those days. The "interwebs" sure has changed everything. Thanks Al Gore!

ShadowCanAm

I have a September 2005 copy of Guitar One ( Brad Paisley on cover ) that had " The rockers guide to country " or something like that. It came with a great audio disc of all the riffs.

Cal Webway

Have a bunch o' stuff I have saved in binders pretty much from Guitar Player. Last 35+ yrs of stuff. Made copies of older stuff so I didn't cut up the mag.

Alot of stuff in many styles. Even some pretty chordal stuff from Buckethead, ca 90's. The king of w-i-d-e intervals, John Stowell, I have a few lessons/pieces from him in GP. I am grateful to some of the talented swing features and guys like Trovato (Steve?) who has several cascade run features. So much in many genres!

From the 70's have Yankee Doodle Dandy/Dixie, played at the same time.
Now, from GP a few yrs ago I need to revisit Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" where bass, chords, melody are done... Quickly!!

Last edited:

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Like Cal Webway, I kept 20-30 years worth of magazines until one day I decided to take an exact-o knife to them. Cut out all the tunes and lessons. I have them each in accordion files alphabetized. I used the tunes all the time when I was teaching. Great resource.

I remember a lesson on creating hexatonic scales by blending different triads from Jimmy Herring probably fifteen years ago, well before he blew up. It certainly changed the way I thought of organizing notes.

monty

A couple of years ago GP had a WWJD (what would Jimi do) series of lessons that were fantastic.

skronker

2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions
3 GP issues that provided me with invaluable info.
July 1993 has a transcription of Danny Gattons' version of "Harlem Nocturne"
July 2005 has a lesson called "sax lines for guitar"
September 2005 has a lesson called "Coltrane for guitarist"

There are more but those three stand out for me.

Redbell

The Steve Vai series in Guitar Player (Martian Love Secrets) was phenomenal. They are available on Vai.com for the curious.

Ed Zachary

October 1998 issue of Guitar One had an article on modes that finally gave me the "now I get it" moment.

Guitar Techniques consistantly had great stuff when I was buying them.

edit: I found a reprint of the modes article! No wonder it made sense; Troy Stetina wrote it. He's an excellent teacher.

http://www.stetina.com/lessons/modes.html

Last edited:

Cal Webway

In 82 or 83, the Brian Setzer cover issue of GP had a well written article on Danny Gatton. Maybe it was there where I read Amos Garrett calling him "The Humbler" on describing DG to his touring band members.

There was NO DG music transcription, but the description of some of his technique was so good, from that I began copping his style!! Didn't hear his stuff until 5-6 yrs later. Real music journalism

Gallus

There was 'Masters Of The Telecaster' edition of GP that had a Dave Whitehill lessons on Roy Buchanan, a Danny Gatton lesson and some Hellecasters stuff if I remember rightly.

There was an Albert Lee lesson and a Richard Thompson one that were pretty important, too.

Rob Taft

Gold Supporting Member
Howard Roberts Jazz Improvisation column in Guitar Player specifically Nov 1975 "Sonic Shapes"

Trending Topics