Favorite Guitar Picks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yessuhr, Jan 9, 2019.

1. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

I have recently (in the last year) fallen in love with the Chickenpicks (https://www.chickenpicks.com/webstore/). They are thick, light and last forever. They also have a good sound and feel to them. Check em out if you haven't.

For Christmas, my wife bought me a pack of the thalia Rosewood picks. They are pretty nice too, though they don't hold up anywhere near as well as the Chickenpicks. They may be my new acoustic pick though...

2. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

ChickenPicks for me.

3. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

Thank you for the reply. I will pick one up if they show up in my country; hopefully in the near future.

I really dislike how the red Jazz III wears out, but I definitely do not mind how Ultex picks deteriorate.

4. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I'm all about Wegen picks, especially the GP250.
    Chicken picks are my next favorite. They feel like the same material as the Gravity Gold picks but with a better bevel and 25% of the cost

5. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

jazz III's for as long as i can remember

6. caledoneus

caledoneus Member

out of curiosity, which style do you like best? I bought the sample pack when I decided to try them out, and think the Shredder is probably my favorite, but the Badazz is a close second.

7. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

^^^ Bermuda III for me, in the 2.7mm thickness.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I own countless V-Picks in various shapes, sizes and thicknesses. I have a Red Bear, a Bluechip and several other small company fairly expensive picks. They were all great picks, but led me eventually to my fav for the last few years. The Dunlop Primetone Triangle 1.3mm with the molded grip texture. For tone, feel and playability these are the best for me. The triangle shape makes for the perfect tip to glide through the strings compared to normal teardrop or jazz style picks. Just my experiences for my technique.

9. yessuhr

yessuhr Member

I've got one of those too, great picks and last forever! Can't use it anymore with how I changed how I hold the pick as it has a right handed speed bevel. Back in 2010 I was doing some promoting for Guthrie back when I lived on the east coast and I would watch him use a nail file on his Red Bear Big Jazzers to keep the point how he liked it.

sanfi4u likes this.
  10. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Electrics: up until about 3 months ago I was a Dunlop Tortex man (yellow or green), then I discovered Gravity Picks and I haven't looked back. I have 3 Razers from 1.0mm to 2.0mm and a few other assorted ones but always keep coming back to the Razers.

Acoustic: Dunlop Nylons, either .73mm or .88mm.

11. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Member

I was a Jazz III shape guy, and moved through a lot of them, Gravity, Dunlop Carbon Fiber Max Grip, etc.
    Then, I tried the new Ernie Ball Prodigy picks... and I can't put them down. I like both thicknesses that they offer. The 2.00 mm probably gets more play. I like the tone of the 1.5 mm better (they are not the same material, despite what's advertised) but I just find myself noticing my picking less with the 2.0, it just comes out, and allows me to play without thinking, and I can adjust my amp to tame some of the highs.

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

D’Andrea Pro Plecs are my favorites. I switch between the small mando, the Jazz 3, and the rounded triangle. All sound close to my fingerstyle sound.

I have a pretty big pick collection, but those are my go-tos.

13. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Dunlop Primetone Jazz III 1.4

RYAN1987M likes this.
  14. 61cygni

61cygni Member

Orange Tortex .60s for me

15. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

I must have 50 different picks in a cigar box.... Those chickenpicks look interesting.

For me, Dunlop Primetone 1.0 or Tortex Blue on electrics, Clayton Black Raven triangles in .8 for acoustic.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jhuttyhut

Jhuttyhut Member

I had always used the Dunlop Tortex Blue 1mm or the Green .88mm for years. I still love them, but I was recently turned on to V-Picks and their Traditional Light has become my favorite pick for electric and the standard Traditional for acoustic. They aren’t super cheap at $3-$4 per pick, but that’s not too terrible in the “boutique” pick world. They feel great and add that subtle extra something in tone.

17. run23

run23 Supporting Member

I haven't fallen down the guitar pick rabbit-hole yet - I've been using the same green tortoise picks for decades, for no other reason other than those were the ones I had access to when I first started playing. Time for a new obsession I guess! I'm almost afraid to start trying new pics as I'll be up late at night a/b'ing various pics (-;

18. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I was hooked on Dava Nylon picks for a while but since using the Dunlop Red Jazz III picks I cant use anything else.

19. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

the Andy James Flow picks are awesome

20. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

There should be a way to make a huge ass poll and update it with every new suggestion to find out the most common one.

Mine are Dunlop Delrin 500 1.14 and nothing else will cut it. I buy a bag of 72 every now and then and I'm set. For bass I have some black 2mm Planet Waves ones and a 3mm one for when I'm in an ape-like mood.