• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Favorite guitar strap position?

rsm

I wear some of my guitars low (my Jags), and others higher (my Rics) and some in between (my pointy shredders) when standing...varies with the guitar I'm using, and what I'm playing.

I've seen some players with very low (how can you even reach things) to very high (smack your chin on the upper horn )... too high looks dorky, too low looks cool until you want to walk or play somethings - IMO

I found playing some things more difficult with a strap slung very low, for example:

always dig the look of JP's position, but presents some challenges IMO.

How do you sling your guitar?

I sling all of my guitars so that they hang identically to if I were sitting down with it in my lap and neck angled up like my guitar instructors always made me do it. Form is king; I don't care to hang it low like a lot of guys do - that interferes with my ability to perform.

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I sling all of my guitars so that they hang identically to if I were sitting down with it in my lap and neck angled up like my guitar instructors always made me do it. Form is king; I don't care to hang it low like a lot of guys do - that interferes with my ability to perform.
I do the same thing except I adjust the strap so it hangs a little bit lower than the seated position and deal with the slight difference during performance.

Reactions: rsm

TTBZ

Les Pauls have to be low, they feel and look weird otherwise. I have my sg a bit higher and tilted more so I can access the lower frets a bit easier. Like Tim Sult does.

jay_red

I used to love low guitars, the lower the better (thanks cheap Ernie Ball straps for having a mile of adjustment) but I never learned to play with my thumb over the top of the neck, so it made playing chords basically impossible, the angle they my wrist would have to be would start to hurt almost instantly. Now I play with it at a mid height, as pretty much the limit of my wrist angle before it is uncomfortable.

If you want to see some ridiculous guitar height check out Tim Armstrong from Rancid, he plays a hollow body that he practically drags around the stage and strums the bottom of the neck, its all worn there from the pick.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I have it high enough that there's minimal to no angle on the wrist of my fretting hand. I don't default to thumb over the fretboard. The bottom of the guitar ends up just above my belt buckle in most cases. Playing the with guitar much higher is uncomfortable--the weight of the instrument starts to inhibit easy breathing, and it seems that too much of the weight is carried on the shoulders and headaches ensue after a few hours

Typically there's a trade off being looking "cool" and technique, unless you have Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert's body type. Jimmy Page is the ultimate low slinger, but his live technique seemed to be compromised. Also, try to find a picture of him barring a full chord when standing.

dconeill

Silver Supporting Member
The neck joint is about at the bottom of my rib cage.

Along with my pants, but that's another story.

bob-i

I'm a firm believer that guitar position needs to be where you can play with your wrists straight. Anything lower causes back and neck strain over time, anything higher causes elbow issues.

I've been playing guitar 56 years now, and I'm way past looking cool. When I started playing the trend was to wear the guitar very high, right under your chin. That was the style and it looked cool. Then the style switched to low slung. Both were just as damaging to the muscular skeletal system. Les Paul had it right, point the hand at the belly button.

ripgtr

I do the same thing except I adjust the strap so it hangs a little bit lower than the seated position and deal with the slight difference during performance.
Same here.
Standing maybe 1/2 inch lower. It just sits on the hip perfect at that height.

GuitarNorton

I have it high enough that there's minimal to no angle on the wrist of my fretting hand. I don't default to thumb over the fretboard. The bottom of the guitar ends up just above my belt buckle in most cases. Playing the with guitar much higher is uncomfortable--the weight of the instrument starts to inhibit easy breathing, and it seems that too much of the weight is carried on the shoulders and headaches ensue after a few hours

Typically there's a trade off being looking "cool" and technique, unless you have Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert's body type. Jimmy Page is the ultimate low slinger, but his live technique seemed to be compromised. Also, try to find a picture of him barring a full chord when standing.
Yea ask him what shape his back is in these days.

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
I'm hanging on the lowish end of the spectrum - often slung slightly to my right side nearly on my hip.

Rayzaa

Mid height or higher. Don't like low. I don't care how it looks. It's got to work for me.

cap10kirk

I keep mine as low as I can have it and still easily reach the volume and tone controls, around waist height. That's what's comfortable for me.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Tail low with the neck angled upward. Heel strap button about waist level, nut about level with my chest, tail strap button wherever it ends up to get that angle. I can't get comfortable on the neck if it sticks straight out parallel with the floor.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom